XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Kwakjoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

New owner

Just purchased a 2011 X5 35d so I can start towing my E46 M3 to the track. I've done some digging around the forum and ordered myself a oil change kit and servicing kit from FCP. Curious what else you guys recommend as far as maintenance goes for a X5d that's around 100k~ range. I know injectors are a big ticket item along with the emission stuff, but is there anything that I should know (i.e. subframe/rod bearings/VANOS for the E46 M3 chassis)? Pretty stoked on this purchase, I'll post a picture of it soon.

Here's what I have planned out in the next month:
Engine oil
Transmission oil
Diff/Transfer oil (how hard is it to do for these?)
Rotors/pads
New rubber (any recommendation for California guys that are planning on towing approx. 5-6k lbs?)
OEM tow hitch kit from ECS

Also any recommendation for a good shop to assess X5 diesels around the bay area?
Appreciate 1
9vapors663.50
      04-29-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I don't know too much about the diesel platforms, but welcome aboard! There are a bunch of 35d folks with beautiful setups. That said, I think it's really cool that you're towing your BMW with a BMW... I'm sure some of the guys can answer all your questions!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E70 X5M, 997.2, Ghibli

Let me know how that ESC hitch works out. I've been scanning options for mine and have glanced at that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

For tires I'd go with best available michelins, if on a budget Lexanis work fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post
Let me know how that ESC hitch works out. I've been scanning options for mine and have glanced at that one.
I used that kit. Worked out wonderfully. Just a good price with quick shipping on the OEM kit. Came with the module, needed coding in.

OP: I tow with my 35D! Do you have the 3rd row in yours? This would mean you have the self leveling suspension. That would be ideal for towing. I don't have it, and my rear squats decent amount with 550 lbs on my hitch. I semi- regularly pull 55-5800 lbs of my drift car and spares on my 18' big tex car hauler. Make sure both you axles are braked, and get a well working brake controller. I use the wireless one. Works fine. To solve my squat, I'm about to try to install a generic airlift airbag kit into my coils. I'd like to level out my rear while towing for comfort, handling, and tire wear.

My D has 219k miles on it as of this morning, I commute 100 miles a day, and regularly go to my shop (another 40 miles a day) after work. Feel free to ask me any questions! MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR HITCH MODULE CODED IN!

Edit: Big ticket is really emissions stuff and glow plug stuff. Glow plugs and module aren't that expensive but the plugs mean the intake manifold has to come out. Not sure about california laws where you are, I'm in nj. I deleted as soon as I had my first emissions issue. I currently run on 255 wide continental DWS all around 19" wheels. I like the grip, but didn't like these tires on my 335i. They seem alright for this, but I'll either go for DEFENDER LTX M/S light truck tires, or michelin PSA3+ if I decide to got the performance route. The LT tires will inevitably be better for towing and longevity. The DWS are fine for towing, they do the job. I run front and rear at 40psi full time.

Can't decide if I should do the Defender tires for my winter set, and then keep performance ones for the summer... but will probably just suffer the wear during the summer (towing to the track) season and keep performance tires for the summer, and get a new set on real winters for the 18's this winter.

OH another thing I want to mention. Get an XHP flash license. Talk to Sutphin about his trans tune. $100 and the best $100 I've spent on the vehicle.

Last edited by Spyro235; 04-30-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
Kwakjoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

Thanks for the advices everyone, here is what she looks like:

It does have 3rd row, I was specifically looking for one with 3rd row and 360 camera because I knew I was gonna tow.

Where did you get your tow hitch module coded in at? Do I have to use a BMW dealership? Since I live in California, I'm planning on just buying summer tires, but haven't fully decided yet.

I'll definitely hit him up for a tune, what exactly does it do?

BTW, here's my other BMW for those curious (I'm a pretty active member on m3forum):

Some on track shots:

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I got my coding done at CodeMyCar. I'm under the impression they can do it remotely, but I'm not sure how that works. There might be forum members that can code it for you, too.
On the LCI, is it 360 camera? I've got the top down view, with 270* of camera coverage. Mine's a Pre-LCI '10.

Sutphin's transmission tune is just that- a transmission tune. There are a few common ones, mainly DWR and Sutphin. I'm partial to Sutphin because he's been REALLY great to work with, and his tune seems to be pretty spot on now. I've been on his tune for a while and I contributed a lot of feedback that was worked in to have the transmission really do what it should be doing in nearly every situation.

Appreciate 0