XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Just upgraded to BSW Stage 1 speakers...so far not impressed!

Hi all,

I just installed the BSW (Bavarian Sound Werks) Stage 1 speaker package, which replaces all 4 door speakers + tweeters and center channel +tweeter in the E70. My X5 came with the HI FI sound system so after having a Loaner (328 convertible) for a few days with Logic 7 system, the difference was really big, so I figured an upgrade to something similar would be awesome (knowing of course that upgrading BSW Stage 1 is not the same as L7), but after installing the new "upgrade" I feel like there is no real difference to the OEM setup.

Has anybody done this BSW upgrade before and if so how has been your experience? should I let the new speakers to "break-in" a bit before felling disappointed? at this point I feel like returning them.

Thanks for your comments!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I've got the logic 7 in my convertible and it is pretty good.
As the 2nd poster mentioned if you don't add an amp, it isn't worth is.
In my e91 wagon, it came with the crappy base system so I upgraded the speakers to DLS and added an amp. Much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
I agree with your assessment. Had an experience with helping a buddy upgrade an X5 (2011 HiFi with center channel, not premium audio) to the BSW. The speakers themselves look like they're built better, but the net result is completely not worth the money. Only difference I noted was that the highs didn't start cracking/popping/whining like the stock setup. An amp that didn't suck would definitely help and may yield different results, however.

If you're not finding a way to add an amp, I'd say return them. Breaking in usually makes the audio sound slightly worse, not better.
Thanks a lot for your comment Legitimate, yes you are right: this speakers are a bit better on the highs and I can feel the bass also a bit better, but definitely not $589 better! so I'm really considering to return them... I wouldn't like to go through adding an aftermarket amp due to all the (I guess) modifications required.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
I've got the logic 7 in my convertible and it is pretty good.
As the 2nd poster mentioned if you don't add an amp, it isn't worth is.
In my e91 wagon, it came with the crappy base system so I upgraded the speakers to DLS and added an amp. Much better.
Agree also, as I mentioned on the first post, the convertible loaner I had was pretty decent with the Logic 7; that's what made me try the BSW to see if it would be something similar. ...maybe for my next car!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128

+1 on amp, otherwise it's not going to sound much (if any) different than the stock speaker setup. Would have been a better one-time upgrade to amp (with a solid aftermarket amp) the stock speakers to be honest; but since you've already done it, shell out some more for a good amp.... Then it will sound even better than the premium system.

Last edited by BimmerEnthusiast99; 07-02-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I think I will return the BSW as they are not really worth. Any suggestions for a decent AMP? my only worry is that I don't want to have a huge box in the trunk; my X5 has the third seat row + I always have a lot of stuff in the trunk: baby stroller, groceries, all kinds of things my wife shops for!, etc.

It would be ideal if something would fit in the same rack where the stock (crappy) amp is.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128

I'm sure somebody can lend you some good specific advice on a good amp to meet your needs. I'm somewhat 'dated' in my auto stereo knowledge---just well-versed from my younger years---but don't see any reason why you couldn't find a modern day amp to meet your size restrictions for the stock speaker config. Just remember quality of the amp vs. size/power here.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEnthusiast99 View Post
I'm sure somebody can lend you some good specific advice on a good amp to meet your needs. I'm somewhat 'dated' in my auto stereo knowledge---just well-versed from my younger years---but don't see any reason why you couldn't find a modern day amp to meet your size restrictions for the stock speaker config. Just remember quality of the amp vs. size/power here.

Yes, I hope so! thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

When it comes to audio gear, 600 is a small price to pay... BUT... If it doesn't sound good to you, it doesn't matter how much you spent. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
When it comes to audio gear, 600 is a small price to pay... BUT... If it doesn't sound good to you, it doesn't matter how much you spent. Best of luck!
Yes, totally agree... I guess they got me with the "dramatically improve sound quality without having to change any other components in your BMW" but as always, if it sounds to good to be truth is because it isn't!

I'm looking for options to replace the stock AMP... I certainly don't want to make any drastic changes so if there was something that I could install by just adding a harness or something that I could do myself, would be perfect!

Does anyone know if the OEM TOP HIFI amp will make any good to the HI FI speakers set? and is it a direct or easy swap?

suggestions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
aznbo187
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 128, E91 328, E70 X5d

I have them on my E46 M3 and while it's not a "dramatic" improvement, it was an improvement over my stock, ripped speakers.

Also, speakers do have a break-in period, but the sound improvement realized in that break-in period is fairly miniscule. I would say the break-in period just "fine tunes" the speakers a slight bit, and even that's mainly just for subwoofers. So if you don't find what you are looking for initially, it's most likely the break-in period won't make much of a difference.

An aftermarket amp can make a difference, but there are a lot of variables, too. In most cases stock BMW speakers, given they are in good condition, can handle some extra power. But it will also depend on how they are setup so I would definitely look up a shop that has knowledge in tuning and has competed in some SQ competitions even. Especially since this isn't a case of just adding more bass.

Although, adding some quality low end definitely helps support the overall sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
I have them on my E46 M3 and while it's not a "dramatic" improvement, it was an improvement over my stock, ripped speakers.

Also, speakers do have a break-in period, but the sound improvement realized in that break-in period is fairly miniscule. I would say the break-in period just "fine tunes" the speakers a slight bit, and even that's mainly just for subwoofers. So if you don't find what you are looking for initially, it's most likely the break-in period won't make much of a difference.

An aftermarket amp can make a difference, but there are a lot of variables, too. In most cases stock BMW speakers, given they are in good condition, can handle some extra power. But it will also depend on how they are setup so I would definitely look up a shop that has knowledge in tuning and has competed in some SQ competitions even. Especially since this isn't a case of just adding more bass.

Although, adding some quality low end definitely helps support the overall sound.
Thanks a lot for your comments aznbo187. I removed the BSWs this week and reinstalled my stock speakers and I'm more convinced it was the right thing to do as I feel no difference at all, except if I turn the volume all the way up, when I would get some distortion... I will look into the AMP upgrade and see how much it can improve. I'm just looking for better sound quality, not necessarily louder sound.

I would love to retrofit the stock Top Hi-Fi AMP if it would mean an upgrade...just to avoid too drastic modifications to the wiring, etc.

Cheers
Appreciate 0