XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
UNDRPSR

Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Thumbs up X6 50i airbox mod

I've had my X6 for about 6 mos now and like everyone else was completely annoyed at the way the air box was designed. I also just sold my E60 M5, and one of the first mods on that car was to remove the charcoal filter that is in addition to the regular filter. So, I asked around to see if anyone knew that this may be the same situation in our 50i's. Well, as you can imagine no one had a clue, and I've never seen one post about it on any forum. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see just how this thing is screwed together.

In short, what a PITA to get to the actual air filters which are integrated into 2 huge plastic airboxes. The good news, there are additional charcoal filters that you can remove to provide some additional airflow. Its been 3 months or so since I did this mod and have had no adverse effects or CEL's. I think it spools up a little quicker and i can get close to 15 mpg if I pay attention.

I now realize the delay in any vendor trying to produce a K&N type filter, its going to be way more involved then just simple drop ins like the X6M's. But you can get a little something if you're feeling adventurous !!

UNDRPSR is offline   United_States
      04-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: GTR, X5 50i Dinan, & E93 M3

Yeah BMW really worked hard to limit air flow on this engine. Supposedly Dinan is working on an airbox mod. I'd like to see more options out there...improving airflow on this engine would yield big results.

What tools are needed to get the airbox open? I'd like to take out the charcoal filters but the airbox doesn't have standard screws.

Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
      02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
X6hamann

Drives: X6 5.0i

Guys, you can buy the K N filter on their website now
      03-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: GTR, X5 50i Dinan, & E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6hamann View Post
Guys, you can buy the K N filter on their website now
Nope, still nothing.

Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
      06-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
X6Vancouver

Drives: X6 50i

I took my charcoal filters out. It was a lengthy process but it was nice to learn how to get to the filters, if k and n ever release something. Rumor a while back was that Dinan was close to releasing a cai I wonder what happend to that......
X6Vancouver is offline   Canada
      06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Vancouver View Post
I took my charcoal filters out. It was a lengthy process but it was nice to learn how to get to the filters, if k and n ever release something. Rumor a while back was that Dinan was close to releasing a cai I wonder what happend to that......
I was searching around for a cold air intake for X6 for awhile, but had no luck.
It seems like X6 has so little after market parts compared to other cars like 3 series..
zerrantoss is offline   Canada
      10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
///SAL
Captain

Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Vancouver View Post
I was searching around for a cold air intake for X6 for awhile, but had no luck.
It seems like X6 has so little after market parts compared to other cars like 3 series..
+1 i was told from dinan last week very soon
///SAL is offline   United_States