XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

X5 M stone chips in front of rear wheels

X5 M stone chips in front of rear wheels:

I have seen several posts on this topic and alot of pissed off X5 M owners.
I have a case with BMW and the dealer. I will keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Im looking for other X5 or X6 M owners who have the SAME issue.
(Could even be owners with the M package on the X5)
If we can reference each others specific complaints BMW will have a much harder time dismissing the issue. We all know they are aware of this but they claim they are not. When I call them i would love to have 10 different names and case numbers to reference. That will guarantee all of our stone chips are fixed.

Im not ok with a respray. Im expecting BMW to send NEW parts that come factory finished so they can put them on then install some serious stone guard film. With a respray I would need to wait a month before the film can be applied. And in that time you cant drive the car becuase if you do the stone chips will come back. Thats too much down time for me.

I never would have traded in my Range Rover had i known about this issue.
BMW better step up on this one. 100k car and its all banged up after 800 miles. Thats BS! I love my M3 and I love this truck, but I will drop it off at the dealer, not make another payment, and tell BMW to GFY if they cant correct this for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

i have same problems and going to dealer to take a picture of stone chip
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5lover7777 View Post
i have same problems and going to dealer to take a picture of stone chip
Are you dealing with BMW of Mt Laurel. I am taking the car to them Friday. If you are and we're going to the same place we should catch up...

Do you have an X5 M, X6 M, or an M package car?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I have M Sport package and chips galore... but I bought my X5 CPO so I doubt I have any claim for cosmetic issues.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i M Sport

I'm in the same boat. 2011 X5 35i M Sport.

I have active threads on Xoutpost, Bimmerfest, and this forum.

My car is currently at the dealer. Rockers and fender flares getting repainted on Weds, and they are keeping the vehicle for 30 days until they can apply Avery Dennison Nano-Fusion. My dealer has been fairly cooperative, but I think a coordinated effort is best. The dealer is only three years old and they claim this is the first time they've seen this issue.

Here's one of my threads.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-response.html

I'll help any way I can. BMW need to wake up on this issue. To have a one month old BMW customer as pi**ed off as I am will have lasting implications.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtea2 View Post
I'm in the same boat. 2011 X5 35i M Sport.

I have active threads on Xoutpost, Bimmerfest, and this forum.

My car is currently at the dealer. Rockers and fender flares getting repainted on Weds, and they are keeping the vehicle for 30 days until they can apply Avery Dennison Nano-Fusion. My dealer has been fairly cooperative, but I think a coordinated effort is best. The dealer is only three years old and they claim this is the first time they've seen this issue.

Here's one of my threads.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-response.html

I'll help any way I can. BMW need to wake up on this issue. To have a one month old BMW customer as pi**ed off as I am will have lasting implications.
So you were willing to let them keep the car for a month. You are much more patient then me! Glad to hear they are fixing the issue, but are you concerned about the repaint hurting the value of your car? I know its just the rockers and fender flare, but everytime I have traded in a car any paint work was always a red flag and hurt the value. I know I would steer clear of a pre owned car with paint work...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

Same issue here. My dad's x5m, the clear coat is all white just in front of the rear tires, same with my brother's x5 with m sport. I had my x6 wrapped with 3m as soon as I had my pieces painted. Not acceptable at all! Let me know if you need pics or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
So you were willing to let them keep the car for a month. You are much more patient then me! Glad to hear they are fixing the issue, but are you concerned about the repaint hurting the value of your car? I know its just the rockers and fender flare, but everytime I have traded in a car any paint work was always a red flag and hurt the value. I know I would steer clear of a pre owned car with paint work...
Honestly, I haven't thought about the potential issues with resale. Assuming the dealer fixes this for me, and assuming I enjoy my first BMW and want another one later, the plan would be to trade it in to the dealer. But a valid point.

As for patience, I currently have a X5 35d as a loaner (which was supposed to be a short term loaner because the original plan was to simply touch up some problem spots, until the dealer realized that wouldn't cut it). The 30-day holdover was decided this morning. The mananger told me they'll need the X5 35d back because it belongs to their GM who was on vacation, but they'll give me a certified used BMW for the 30 day wait. I thought that was fair.

Bottom line: I'm extremely frustrated that I've paid $80K (we get screwed in Canada for pricing) for a premium vehicle that is in for a paint job after 1,000 miles and one month of driving. But at this point I'm not sure what else to do. The dealer seems to want to make me happy. I thought about demanding to trade the M Sport for another X5, but in Canada we don't have the X5 Sport (or whatever you call it). Our packages are much different. Either I get a regular X5 with 18" wheels and 'regular' look, or I get the M Sport. I also thought about demanding that they give me a brand new M Sport with the PPF applied, but the only other one on the lot is Saphire Black w/Oyster interior, which I don't like. So I never even brought up this option with the dealer. I don't think it would be reasonable (??) to pressure them to order me a new X5 M Sport in my colour (carbon black) with the film applied.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I certainly dont want to be unreasonable, but they should have put the stone guard on from the start. I dont want a car with 1000 miles that has had paint work and hurts the value and I also dont want to be without the car for 30 days. If they can get new rockers and new fender flares "pre painted" from the factory that will work for me. As soon as they install them they can put the clear film on. No paint work, no 30 day wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I certainly dont want to be unreasonable, but they should have put the stone guard on from the start. I dont want a car with 1000 miles that has had paint work and hurts the value and I also dont want to be without the car for 30 days. If they can get new rockers and new fender flares "pre painted" from the factory that will work for me. As soon as they install them they can put the clear film on. No paint work, no 30 day wait.
I just emailed the manager at my dealer asking if this is an option.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
Robert L
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X5 40d M, 520dA F11-M

I have the same problem. Talked with the dealer yesterday and he claims that he have never heard about this before as his customers normally orders mudflaps. (Which I hardly believe in...)

We have a lot of sand on the roads in the winter so my flares looks like they are blasted for re-paint!

Will be interesting to follow your progress!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Here's the response from my dealer:

" We had explored this option before deciding to paint and it didn’t seem to be something BMW would help us with. That being said, I will have our Service Manager contact BMW again when they open (10am our time) and we’ll see what they say. With regards to the painting option, there was no accident and therefore there is no record of anything that would affect resale at this stage. If BMW replaces anything under warranty though there will be a record. I’ll let you know how the phone call goes."

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
spdfrk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M/2011 X5.35d

I had the same problem with my 2010 Carbon Black X6 ///M. I ended up threatening the dealer and BMW to what a POS the vehicle was and if they weren't going to do anything about it I was going to display it at the next auto show (it was in a few weeks from then) with all the chips and what not as well have a billboard explaining the lack of customer service one receives after spending over 100k.

Long story short, they took the X6M back and I custom ordered a 2011. Only had to pay the taxes at delivery but was given a 7 series to drive at no cost for the waiting time. Once I took delivery, I drove right to my detailing shop and had it wrapped with 3M film to prevent any chipping.

Preventive maintenance is the best and I only have myself to blame for not wrapping it to begin with as I should have know from my other sport cars with the wide tires and body flares.

Now I can say that I am one happy ///M customer.

Last edited by spdfrk; 04-05-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

The dealer just called me back after talking to their Regional for BMW Canada. According to my dealer, BMW Canada are well aware that this as a major problem for the X5 M-Sports and X5Ms. I was told because these vehicles represent only 1-2% of total Canadian sales, there was no recall issued. Apparently, BMW Canada are working with the dealers to resolve matters on an individual basis. They are not issuing new factory-direct rocker panels and fender flares, but they will reimburse the dealer for the cost of having the parts professionally painted. My dealer is also paying for the cost of the PPF.

So for me there's no change since yesterday... rockers/flares get painted on Weds, and they apply the PPF the first week of May.

I do feel somewhat vindicated that BMW Canada have acknowledged they are well aware of this issue.

So for you guys calling BMWNA and getting the same response "we have not heard of this issue" kindly refer them to BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Hmm, I guessed I better not drive my X5M then so I won't get a chip!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Are you dealing with BMW of Mt Laurel. I am taking the car to them Friday. If you are and we're going to the same place we should catch up...

Do you have an X5 M, X6 M, or an M package car?
PM sent.
      04-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtea2 View Post
Here's the response from my dealer:

" We had explored this option before deciding to paint and it didn’t seem to be something BMW would help us with. That being said, I will have our Service Manager contact BMW again when they open (10am our time) and we’ll see what they say. With regards to the painting option, there was no accident and therefore there is no record of anything that would affect resale at this stage. If BMW replaces anything under warranty though there will be a record. I’ll let you know how the phone call goes."

Stay tuned.
True- There will be no record of an accident with the respray BMW handles, but when someone takes a paint meter to your car it will be clear there has been paint work.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
chrgosselin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

The 2012 X5 models are now up on the BMW Canada website. From what I can see in the pictures, they went back to the black plastic flares and running boards on the M Sport Package (instead of the painted ones). I guess the paint chipping issue was serious enough to warrant that change.

2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i M Sport/Arctic Grey Metallic/Cognac Perforated Vernasca Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
HLP126
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgosselin View Post
The 2012 X5 models are now up on the BMW Canada website. From what I can see in the pictures, they went back to the black plastic flares and running boards on the M Sport Package (instead of the painted ones). I guess the paint chipping issue was serious enough to warrant that change.
I was very surprised & went on to check out the 2012 M sport pkg, but its still all painted... maybe you didnt select the right options?
Multi-Contour Seats
Premium Hi-Fi & BMW Apps
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
HLP126
Rep
Drives: GTI

actually, the 50i showing black plastic, but 35i still showing all painted.
Multi-Contour Seats
Premium Hi-Fi & BMW Apps
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLP126 View Post
actually, the 50i showing black plastic, but 35i still showing all painted.
Interesting. I'll find out tomorrow if that's a mistake on the website.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
chrgosselin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

The BMWNA website still shows the painted parts for the 2012 BMW X5 50i with M Sport Package. Might be a mistake on the Canadian site.

2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i M Sport/Arctic Grey Metallic/Cognac Perforated Vernasca Leather
Appreciate 0