XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Jtravapd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 sport edition

aftermarket stereo questions

Hi, I have a 2011 x5 with the base stereo system. I would like to upgrade this system.

I was looking at this
BSW x108 BMW Subwoofer System for X5 00-06
Audio System Type: Non DSP
$659.99 $659.99
BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade for BMW X5 / X5M 07+ (E70)

it comes out to like 1100 bucks, and it only has one 8 inch sub woofer, and replacement speakers for the 6 stock speakers.

Wouldn't i be better off going to a car stereo shop? I would really like to change my stock 6 speakers, and also have them install speakers in all the spots where my vehicle has the speakers covers but no speakers in them. I guess the spots are all there for vehicles that get the premium sound package.

Then i could put two speakers in boxes in the rear, as long as they fit like the bsw ones and take up no trunk space.

I am curious what everyones opinions are, and if anyone recommends a good shop in the north jersey , NYC area to bring my car too. I don't want to bring it to a shop that doesn't deal with bmw's a lot. I'd rather the guys know what they are doing.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
finagle69
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 4.8i

A lot of folks say that BSW prices are inflated, but for what you get I don't think it's that bad of a price. Granted I haven't heard a system installed.

As for the subs, I'd go no less than 10" in any suv with a preference to 12", but I'm more of a bass head.

A couple of nights ago, I installed my JL 500/1v2 and JL 10w6v2 from my previous car into my 08 X5 and it pounds. I have the premium sound so I don't see a reason to upgrade the speakers as of yet.

A competent shop will charge you upwards of 1k for sub and amp installed alone. If you want them to change or add speakers as well, that'll be more money, plus you'd have to figure out what components to use. With BSW, that research is already done for you.

Hope that all helps and wasn't too rambly.

Edit: Also, the BSW sub enclosure that is stealthy will only fit an e53. The e70 and LCI have much less space in the cubbyhole where their sub gets placed.

If you have 3rd row seating, your space is even more limited.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Jtravapd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 sport edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finagle69 View Post
A lot of folks say that BSW prices are inflated, but for what you get I don't think it's that bad of a price. Granted I haven't heard a system installed.

As for the subs, I'd go no less than 10" in any suv with a preference to 12", but I'm more of a bass head.

A couple of nights ago, I installed my JL 500/1v2 and JL 10w6v2 from my previous car into my 08 X5 and it pounds. I have the premium sound so I don't see a reason to upgrade the speakers as of yet.

A competent shop will charge you upwards of 1k for sub and amp installed alone. If you want them to change or add speakers as well, that'll be more money, plus you'd have to figure out what components to use. With BSW, that research is already done for you.

Hope that all helps and wasn't too rambly.

Edit: Also, the BSW sub enclosure that is stealthy will only fit an e53. The e70 and LCI have much less space in the cubbyhole where their sub gets placed.

If you have 3rd row seating, your space is even more limited.
yeah i noticed that they don't offer the sub for the new x5's. Im not sure what im gonna do then. I want to get something but don't want to go crazy. and don't want to take up my entire trunk
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I would guess the BSW system is for sound quality more than for bass or volume. An aftermarket amp & sub would solve that but a good shop and a quality installation will be pricey.

I had good experience with a JL Audio sub. They make stealth boxes but I haven't researched if they have one for the E70. I did a twin 8's JL Audio sub and Orion amp in a 300GT, along with upgraded tweeters and mids. That system rocked.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
brenkeim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5 4.4

I have an '04 X5 4.4 that the original owner opted for nav and 6-disc changer, but speakers sound very weak. Also pixels on LCD screen are going out en masse. I want to replace the head unit and the speakers. One shop has said "can't replace your head unit" and I'm looking for options/advice on that, as well as amp & speaker recommendations. I looked at BSW's website and when you dive down into an '04 X5 all you can choose for the radio is something that has no nav screen and says it's for "00 - 02". I'd like to do something like a nice Kenwood touch-screen head unit with nav/sat/hd radio, along with a JL Audio stealthbox sub for the back cargo area, then maybe Polk Audio or something similar for the speakers in the doors. I don't mind spending a couple grand if that's what it takes. Any advice?
Appreciate 0