XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

View Poll Results: X6 5.0 or M3 ???
X6 5.0 10 90.91%
M3 Coupe 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

10-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

What to get X6 5.0 or M3 Coupe?

For the last 2 months I have been debating about which BMW to get. My dealer gave me an X6 for the weekend to drive around. I really enjoyed driving it and liked the uniqueness of the vehicle and found its "comfort" and interior more pleasing than the M3's more spartan interior. Driving a 2009 M3 with DCT was exhilarating to say the least.

Whatever I end up getting would be an everyday driver and, here in Western PA, I have to deal with the winters. I know I'd need a dedicated set of winter tires with the M3 but could get away with the all season wheels of the X6.

Our other vehicle is an Acura MDX which is the family car for carting everyone around (Family of 4).

I've gone over the pros and cons for both and can still not arrive at a decision. Do I go with the true coupe and cast a "devil may care" attitude during the winters or go with an all season ride that would mean having two similar vehicles in the garage (which is a 2-car garage)? Clearly the MDX does not drive like the X6 5.0 but in terms of the two being SUV/SAV.

If I could, I'd get both but then my wife would leave me. So I open it up to you wise people to offer your perspectives.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
Tough call. Two SUVs seems a little redundant, but I have a Volvo XC90 parked next to my X6 50i so I think you know where this is going.

My sales manager drives a new M3 and while he loves it, he doesn't like it in the winter or the rain at all. So much so, that he just bought an SUV and we have pretty mild winters. I think he almost totalled it when he took delivery on one of the few snowy days we had last winter.

Go with what is comfortable and what you like, neither is a bad decision!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
bushman
Rep
Drives: m3

Tough decision. I just ordered an M3 6MT for me and an X6 50i for my wife. She has a MDX and is a little sad at the idea of having to give it up, but knows it is no X6. We also went with the sport package an 20 inch wheels, so we will need winter wheels and tires on both. Two totally radically different cars. If you need the size and conveniennce of the X6 go for the 50i. Note the MDX has much more passenger room and cargo space, but no where near the power or braking. For all out fun, but not true winter driving the M3
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
flz9636
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0

I have the same problem deciding the x6 5.0 and the m3 but in the end i pick the x6 because of the winter around NYC. I hope the road in P.A. is better, because in NYC the road here are very bad so i can't really enjoy the m3 with such crappy road. In the end it really depend on your need.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I have owned several BMW's over the years including an M3.

Weather aside, the thing I found annoying after owning a 325/330/M3 for several months was the ride. The 3 series especially, regardless of run flats has a very uncomfortable ride, lacks reals cup holders, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the M3 is a beast and a blast to drive. But the jarring ride over pot holes, and lack of interior space, storage, gets old after a while.

As much as a like the M3, it would never be my primary vehicle.
      10-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
X6 has the best of both worlds, sport car and SUV combined !
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks

It seems that we all are thinking with our heads and not our hearts. Hard to imagine that I'm compromising "fun" by getting an $80k vehicle but that's how it feels. If only I had a three car garage and lived in a more temperate area.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
It seems that we all are thinking with our heads and not our hearts. Hard to imagine that I'm compromising "fun" by getting an $80k vehicle but that's how it feels. If only I had a three car garage and lived in a more temperate area.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I have owned several BMW's over the years including an M3.

Weather aside, the thing I found annoying after owning a 325/330/M3 for several months was the ride. The 3 series especially, regardless of run flats has a very uncomfortable ride, lacks reals cup holders, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the M3 is a beast and a blast to drive. But the jarring ride over pot holes, and lack of interior space, storage, gets old after a while.

As much as a like the M3, it would never be my primary vehicle.

+1
Agree with Chuck on this, would not have an m3 as primary vehicle. If it snows you would need a second car. X6 is all purpose( ok does not have cargo room of a truck and isn't race car like M3), fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

I think the X6 is a great all around vehicle. The ride is great and the performance is outstanding. It's perfect for the family of 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

So I test drove the X6 5.0 again. I think there are not a lot of negatives here. If my wife goes for it, Sapphire Black with Chateau Red interior....yeah, that's the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Jaijai
Banned
Rep
Drives: Alpineweiss M3

when it snows just stay home and admire the lines of your M3 sitting in the garage...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
For the last 2 months I have been debating about which BMW to get. My dealer gave me an X6 for the weekend to drive around. I really enjoyed driving it and liked the uniqueness of the vehicle and found its "comfort" and interior more pleasing than the M3's more spartan interior. Driving a 2009 M3 with DCT was exhilarating to say the least.

Whatever I end up getting would be an everyday driver and, here in Western PA, I have to deal with the winters. I know I'd need a dedicated set of winter tires with the M3 but could get away with the all season wheels of the X6.

Our other vehicle is an Acura MDX which is the family car for carting everyone around (Family of 4).

I've gone over the pros and cons for both and can still not arrive at a decision. Do I go with the true coupe and cast a "devil may care" attitude during the winters or go with an all season ride that would mean having two similar vehicles in the garage (which is a 2-car garage)? Clearly the MDX does not drive like the X6 5.0 but in terms of the two being SUV/SAV.

If I could, I'd get both but then my wife would leave me. So I open it up to you wise people to offer your perspectives.

To be honest, based on what you're saying, you need the X6. Normally, I'm not that direct but in your case the choice is obvious.

If you were truly passionate about the M3, it wouldn't be such a hard decision for you. You would know after you've driven the X6 that you needed the M3, but you're still thinking about the X6.

The M3 is a drivers sports car, and the question would be how often would you be able to fully take advantage of its low stance, taught suspension, excellent steering, limited slip differential, 8 individual wide open throttles, and how many performance modification options; especially in Pittsburgh - during the winter? Not to say you can't, or not saying people don't, but the question is how often?

On the other hand, with the X6, which is really a "coupe with attitude", you can get a taste of that everyday - don't think of it in the same category as your MDX - it's not. Most SUV's today are yesterday's soccer mom station wagons, just puffed up with all wheel drive. You’ll still need the MDX, but for different reasons, and believe me, it's not redundant having a Japanese SUV and BMW Sport Activity Coupe in the same garage side-by-side. The MDX will actually breathe a sigh of relief knowing the X6 is there because you keep dreaming about the X6, but take the MDX out to put it through paces and it can't keep up. Have a little pity for the poor thing, it wasn’t made for that!

The X6 like it's sibling the X5, has the willingness to be a daily driver will little or no compromise. If the X6's all-wheel-driveness, stance, ease of access, deft handling in all conditions, was made for anything, it was made for winter. On the other hand, there would some days that you would say, "I'm leaving the M3 in the garage today."

Quit punishing yourself, get the X6.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I had an E46 M3 Cabriolet that I adored....When they say the M3 is the Crown Jewel of BMW they are right..

But for me (in my 40's) the m3 is not an ideal everyday driver and certainly not ideal for winter. An M3 can handle winter ok with snows, but I was going to be damned if my beautiful M was ever going to see snow, salt and sand. No RWD is going to handle the winters like an X-Driver..

You have the MDX, so I really do wonder if you need the X6?? Much as I can wax eloquently about the differences in the two, they are more similar to each other than either is vs. an M3.

If you want the ultimate driving machine get the M3..If you want something sexy, a beast all year round and a bit of utility get the X6.

G/L and keep us posted on what you decide!
      10-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

One of each would be perfect, wouldn't it? I just traded my 2007 335i convertible for an X6, and am very happy with the result. I drove the 335i through two winters with dedicated snow tires/wheels, and for the most part, it was fine. There were a few days where I didn't dare drive it, and the amount of snow was greater than the ground clearance of the car. It wasn't a perfect winter vehicle, but it did pretty well with the snows. But now that my daily drive has increased from 7 miles to 30 miles each way, I wanted something with more grip and sheetmetal. My mpg has changed from around 22 to 17, but I love the feeling of sitting higher up with AWD. In the end, only you can decide what's best for you and your situation, but for me, this was a very good move and I have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

thats exactly the color combo I have on order my baby should be build this week!! this wait is killing me!

Quote:
So I test drove the X6 5.0 again. I think there are not a lot of negatives here. If my wife goes for it, Sapphire Black with Chateau Red interior....yeah, that's the ticket.
2010 BMW X6 50i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chateau Nevada Leather - 20" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style259) with mixed run-flat perf. tires - Space-saver spare - Soft-close automatic doors - Heated front seats - Dark Bamboo wood trim - Performance Upgrade - Premium Package - Rear Climate Package - Sport Package - Rearview Camera with Top View
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #17
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
To be honest, based on what you're saying, you need the X6. Normally, I'm not that direct but in your case the choice is obvious.

If you were truly passionate about the M3, it wouldn't be such a hard decision for you. You would know after you've driven the X6 that you needed the M3, but you're still thinking about the X6.

The M3 is a drivers sports car, and the question would be how often would you be able to fully take advantage of its low stance, taught suspension, excellent steering, limited slip differential, 8 individual wide open throttles, and how many performance modification options; especially in Pittsburgh - during the winter? Not to say you can't, or not saying people don't, but the question is how often?

On the other hand, with the X6, which is really a "coupe with attitude", you can get a taste of that everyday - don't think of it in the same category as your MDX - it's not. Most SUV's today are yesterday's soccer mom station wagons, just puffed up with all wheel drive. You’ll still need the MDX, but for different reasons, and believe me, it's not redundant having a Japanese SUV and BMW Sport Activity Coupe in the same garage side-by-side. The MDX will actually breathe a sigh of relief knowing the X6 is there because you keep dreaming about the X6, but take the MDX out to put it through paces and it can't keep up. Have a little pity for the poor thing, it wasn’t made for that!

The X6 like it's sibling the X5, has the willingness to be a daily driver will little or no compromise. If the X6's all-wheel-driveness, stance, ease of access, deft handling in all conditions, was made for anything, it was made for winter. On the other hand, there would some days that you would say, "I'm leaving the M3 in the garage today."

Quit punishing yourself, get the X6.

Very well put. My real limitation is having a 2 car garage. If there were room for three, I'd keep my '03 MB C320 with 4-matic and add the M3. I would not be overly pleased having to drive the M3 in the winter. I respect the car and its purpose and its almost insulting to have to put the M3 in a position for which it was not designed for. Even though I could afford the M3, maybe its is a few years away for me still until I have more room. I just hope I would have the same enthusiasm for it when I'm 45 and not be pulled towards the MB CL.

I appreciate all the honest opinions put forth by everyone. I'll be sure to post my final solution once the order is placed.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
Hamed
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: X6

X6
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

It has been decided!

2010 X6 5.0 with Premium Pkg, Sport Activity Pkg (19" All-Season), Premium Sound Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Soft Close Doors, Top View Camera, Running Boards, and Sirius radio

$1,000 over wholesale...(I have the 2010 "confidential" price list for the 3.0 and 5.0 if anyone interested"

Now to finalize the color combo....Sapphire Black with Chateau Red
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
It has been decided!

2010 X6 5.0 with Premium Pkg, Sport Activity Pkg (19" All-Season), Premium Sound Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Soft Close Doors, Top View Camera, Running Boards, and Sirius radio

$1,000 over wholesale...(I have the 2010 "confidential" price list for the 3.0 and 5.0 if anyone interested"

Well done.

Please PM me with the 2010 "confidential" price list for the 50i. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
It has been decided!

Thats the choice I made even the same color combo! I would like a copy of the list aswell... thanks!!
2010 BMW X6 50i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chateau Nevada Leather - 20" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style259) with mixed run-flat perf. tires - Space-saver spare - Soft-close automatic doors - Heated front seats - Dark Bamboo wood trim - Performance Upgrade - Premium Package - Rear Climate Package - Sport Package - Rearview Camera with Top View
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

Hi fellas, new to this forum and ready to order my new X6 5.0 this week.

Hey Captain can I get acopy of the confidential list too?

It's best to go into battle fullyarmed and informed.

Thanks
Appreciate 0