XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

X6 50i vs X6 M Exhaust Tip

I think the 50i rectangular and side mounted exhaust tips look far superior to the cheap looking X6 M Quad middle mounted exhaust tips. Does anyone agree with me that the X6 M exhaust tips look tacky and inferior to the 50i?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I think both looks great..at first i was planning to replace mine 35d rounded to 50i rectangular..but now i am waiting for M aero package and then i will install M quad too...but if it doesent turn up,i will install rectangular!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
I think both looks great..at first i was planning to replace mine 35d rounded to 50i rectangular..but now i am waiting for M aero package and then i will install M quad too...but if it doesent turn up,i will install rectangular!!!
I think the rectangular exhaust is boss!! It just looks so much more clean and uniform. The quad exhaust pipes looks like a car from the 90's and it doesnt portray that futuristic and modern look the car is trying to achieve. People who are unaware of the difference between a 50i and an M might mistake the 50i for the better because of the more stylish futuristic looking exhaust. The Quad exhaust pipes look ghetto and make the rear end look trashy. They did a good job removing the ****** fog lamps from the front bumper but now the rear on the back of the X6M's are jacked up because of the crummy exhaust look. You cant win with this car, no rear wiper either. This was basically a rushed design imo; the car is going on its third year and they finally come out with an "M" version and they wrecked the rear of the car. The 50i wins in the back and the M wins in the front.

The quad pipes remind me of a whiskey tango trailor park ride. The Quad exhaust is something people put on their V6 mustangs to make people think they have a bunch of upgrades.

BMW should have given the X6 the rectangular cool exhaust and given the 50i and 35i the round exhaust. Everyone lusts after that rectangular exhaust anyway.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

IMHO - I like the quad exhaust on an M3 but don't think it looks right on the X6. On the M3 the exhaust is subtle, on the X6 it looks like an after thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The Quad pipes are functional in this manner. There is a valve in two of the pipes, one per side. This valve is normally closed. It is opened by the computer at a preset throttle or RPM setting. I don't believe the 50i has this valve. Some would say that is why the 50i sounds better than the M. The idea is that the muffler can be less restrictive for high performance, but with only one outlet at low speeds, somewhat quieter than it would have been uncorked!! I wonder what happens on the M when you disable the computer connection and open the valve up all the time?!?!
Appreciate 0