XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

E70 4.8 - Christmas Lights on Dash

I have a 2007 4.8 X5 with ~115k miles on the clock (original owner). Just last week the car went into "reduced acceleration mode" aka limp mode and I got a message saying "Malfunction in Drive" along with "Malfunction in Transmission". It also has a 4x4 warning light saying DSC is off.

Because I didn't have time, and because I bought a new Tesla as my daily, I haven't tried diagnosing the problems with the car. I plugged the OBD scanner into my car and got 50 codes!

It seems as though everything is wrong with the car, from crankshaft position sensors to the rear entertainment system (rear TV I am guessing). I brought the car to O'Reillys to check the battery, and they say its fine, and I recharged it too overnight. I tried learning the codes, but the majority of them keep coming back (around 30 codes now).

Do you guys have any suggestions, is it a ECU error? I changed the transmission fluid less than 2k miles ago at AutoTalent (Torrance, CA area), if that makes a difference. I will attach the scanned codes below.

I am thinking of just sucking it up, and driving it to my local BMW dealer (South Bay BMW) to check out what's wrong, instead of an indy mechanic.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scan-Dec_21_2019_18-14-02-.pdf (102.2 KB, 200 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Most likey your ground strap to the engine, they go bad and cause a billion different codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Most likey your ground strap to the engine, they go bad and cause a billion different codes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Ok, I will check it out tomorrow, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Ok, I will check it out tomorrow, thanks
There are a couple of other ground straps on the truck that could be at play too if your engine checks out. When a major problem like this happens, it's either going to be super cheap (ground straps), or nasty like a module frying. Usually it's the ground straps though.
Appreciate 0