XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

05-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #23
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

Just installed these to operate with the fog light switch. I might get the Euro Light Switch that has the Rear Fog light button so I can wire it turn on independent of each other. Currently they are not plugged in and I have coded out the warnings anyways.

My bodyshop installed them for me practically for free. Pulled the front bumper down pretty easy and ran the wires and tucked it all away nice and pretty.

I have thought about filling the foglights(OEM) and leaving the rear grill lights but that probably won't happen. The bodyshop will do it for cheap for me but I will probably upgrade to a X5M 2013 in future so I might not do it.

They look OEM and not cheesy. Build quality is not bad. Fit is dead on. Also I spoke to the techs and the service manager(friend) and they said the grill on the drivers side which usually open vented grill is not necessary and won't affect anything. I was concerned for that as well.

The ballast/control unit is pretty well thought out for DRL ON, Full Brightness, Half Brightness, Turn Signal Capable, Ignition On Capable, Special Dimming Capable(Headlights on they can lower output). More than enough to run from right side to left. Mine(small ballast) was installed on the Passenger side.

Took it to the dealership afterwards to show the service manager and techs and they all liked it. Had two people ask for me to order them some..

They are bright but I wouldn't say they help light the path on the road. The silver finish matches pretty close to the OEM. The grill fits in all the right slots for a good factory fit.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
good to hear that it worked out well... waiting for pictures!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLINE_997 View Post
Just installed these to operate with the fog light switch. I might get the Euro Light Switch that has the Rear Fog light button so I can wire it turn on independent of each other. Currently they are not plugged in and I have coded out the warnings anyways.

My bodyshop installed them for me practically for free. Pulled the front bumper down pretty easy and ran the wires and tucked it all away nice and pretty.

I have thought about filling the foglights(OEM) and leaving the rear grill lights but that probably won't happen. The bodyshop will do it for cheap for me but I will probably upgrade to a X5M 2013 in future so I might not do it.

They look OEM and not cheesy. Build quality is not bad. Fit is dead on. Also I spoke to the techs and the service manager(friend) and they said the grill on the drivers side which usually open vented grill is not necessary and won't affect anything. I was concerned for that as well.

The ballast/control unit is pretty well thought out for DRL ON, Full Brightness, Half Brightness, Turn Signal Capable, Ignition On Capable, Special Dimming Capable(Headlights on they can lower output). More than enough to run from right side to left. Mine(small ballast) was installed on the Passenger side.

Took it to the dealership afterwards to show the service manager and techs and they all liked it. Had two people ask for me to order them some..

They are bright but I wouldn't say they help light the path on the road. The silver finish matches pretty close to the OEM. The grill fits in all the right slots for a good factory fit.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
      05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Some pics. Nothing great. Just shows them during a bright day outside.

Name:  IMG_0011.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  231.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0012.JPG
Views: 1076
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0013.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  232.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0015.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  238.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0016.JPG
Views: 955
Size:  326.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0017.JPG
Views: 987
Size:  296.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0018.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  330.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

They actually look quite nice! They compliment the front end
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Thank you. I know the prior discussions on these were not so "nice" about them. No I didn't put on 24" chrome spinners when I installed these

Then again if I worried what others would say I would not post
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

That actually came out looking better than expected. Probably because the rest of your X5 is nicely done up. The only thing that would make it better is if you did not have the OEM fog lights. Because right now you have three layers of lights, but then again, no one would remove OEM fog lights...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Like this? If I were to keep the SUV instead of upgrading to an X5M I talked to my friend at the bodyshop to cover up the fogs and repaint the fenders. It's nice to have friends in that business

Name:  IMG_0018_MOD.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  178.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLINE_997
Thank you. I know the prior discussions on these were not so "nice" about them. No I didn't put on 24" chrome spinners when I installed these

Then again if I worried what others would say I would not post
Where are you located? Maybe the body shop you know is close by
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #31
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Atlanta - Why yes they are close by
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
skunkd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 STI 2008 BMW M5 2004 530i

What exactly is the radiator behind the drivers side grill for that it is okay to cover it up? That is my only question... I was the one that started this thread getting a lot of hate for even thinking about it, but I still think they look great!

I may have to get them after all who did you order them from? ebay? an online store?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #33
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Skunkd - its the oil cooler I believe. The OEM Grill has an open grill. As previously mentioned I asked the Service Manager(friend) and a BMW NA Engineer about the new cover. They both said it was not a big deal to cover it up. Some might disagree but I asked first and it wasn't something they said I should raise a concern over.

I would have drilled out the opening. It's not hard. The pieces can be removed and left with only the plastic grill to dremel out the grill.

I got a test kit from a local dealer/friend here. They wanted me to try it out and I said I would. The instructions are pretty easy to follow and the wiring is very clear for any installer to be able to hook them up to the DRL, the turn signals, etc. Pretty much plug and play. As I said mine was hooked up to the foglights. After photoshopping and removing the foglights I might go ahead and modify the front bumper. I like the clean look.

The ones from Ali-Express were ranging from so many prices and the Resistor Box was a concern as many were not well labeled and I don't trust that. They even reached out to them for better pictures and this light kit was the better one in regards to quality and Resistor Box with instructions.

I have had several other people ask me privately to setup a group buy. I will inquire about it. It took her a good three weeks to get these as I wanted the silver painted plastic instead of the chrome and I wanted the better LED Resistor box since the others I saw were not really that well thought out.

I will see what I can do and what kind of numbers I need to get a group buy going and of course price. I have about 5 so far that are interested. I want to know what is the length of time from order to delivery before I agree to start the group buy if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #34
APLINE_997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
What exactly is the radiator behind the drivers side grill for that it is okay to cover it up? That is my only question... I was the one that started this thread getting a lot of hate for even thinking about it, but I still think they look great!

I may have to get them after all who did you order them from? ebay? an online store?
Yeah I remember the thread and the chrome spinners and other stuff being said. That is why I said what I said initially when I posted once the pictures went up.

We all have our likes and dislikes. To each their own until they really cross the cheesy lines. Then I might make a small jab
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 X5 4.8i

I actually like it. Might think about doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

For those of you looking into a group buy

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/68...E70_X5_07.html