E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help diagnosing rear humming noise

06-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
sea335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Need help diagnosing rear humming noise

2008 335i coupe with 45K, out of warranty.

The noise is coming from the rear driver's side(sounds like it at least). Its very noticeable after 40MPH+ and gets louder when speed is increased. Also noticed the noise slightly changes(quieter) when turning left on the freeway.

Things I've fixed/replaced:
- Brake pads, noise appeared few days after
- Brand new tires, mounted and balanced
- Front control arm bushings were replaced
- Alignment was done few days ago and the noise decreased, strangely

The alignment place said theres a chance that it might be the differential but didnt rule the wheel bearings out 100%.

German indy shop checked the rear wheels and found no play either, but I've read that the bearings might go out and still show no play on BMWs. German indy shop also mentioned that theres a slight noise in the diff. but they cant say for sure if thats the problem.

Took this video before the alignment was done http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20pfyq&s=8#.U5ECqq1dU54

And someone else's video below that has the identical noise

Also, not sure if its related but the passenger seat has a very noticeable vibration, gas pedal as well, especially at high speed.

Completely lost here.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
sea335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Anyone?
Appreciate 0