E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Charger (CTEK) and reprogramming questions

02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

Battery Charger (CTEK) and reprogramming questions

Hey guys, haven't been around here in a while since I put the baby (2008 335i cabriolet) in storage back in November 2012....

I may have done something bad, but I totally forgot to buy and add a battery tender to the car... I haven't touched the car since early November 2012...

I just bought one of these tonight - http://smartercharger.com/products/b...multi-us-3300/

My question is, have I done any damage to my current battery? and should I just attached the positive and negative battery leads to the underhood jumping points, and hope for the best?

Does my car need to be "re-programmed" if the battery or car went dead?

Do I need to replace my battery in this instance or should this CTEK charger be able to recondition the battery?

One more question, did I buy a good battery charger/tender? Is this what is recommended for our cars?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

No, yes, no, no, couldn't tell you.

Your battery IS almost certainly drained to the only-enough-juice-to-start-once point, so assuming you CAN start it (should be able to, if not just hit it with the tender for a while), you should definitely leave it running for more than a few minutes to give it some time to charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great thank you! Would you know anything about this "re-programming" stuff? After 7 Bmw's in my lifetime, and replacing batteries in all of them, I've never had to "reprogram" a car after battery replacement or draining.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Just connect your C-Tek charger to the under the hood terminals and leave it charging for two days and when the charger shows green light, start the engine. You should be fine. My small snow blower battery(permanently attached to the snow blower) is not even charged for almost a whole year and yet it manages to retain and start the snow blower every winter. Just goes to show how long they retain their charge. I know that BMW has electronics that consume electricity even at rest but on the other hand it is far bigger battery than the snow blower's motor cyckle battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
Just connect your C-Tek charger to the under the hood terminals and leave it charging for two days and when the charger shows green light, start the engine. You should be fine. My small snow blower battery(permanently attached to the snow blower) is not even charged for almost a whole year and yet it manages to retain and start the snow blower every winter. Just goes to show how long they retain their charge. I know that BMW has electronics that consume electricity even at rest but on the other hand it is far bigger battery than the snow blower's motor cyckle battery.
True, but at nominal sleep current, it's still expected to be totally flat in between 1 and two months, depending on equipment. Though it should go into 'no, for real' sleep with enough charge for one start.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You electronics are likely fine.
I suggest just putting the battery tender on the car using the front posts and allow it to charge until you get the all green ready to go. Also I suggest you make the connections permenate. I don't know if CTEK has the lugs and the clips but all my battery tenders have them and both my BMWs are wired that way so it takes less than 30 secs to reconnect my charger.
It makes a HUGE difference in that my M3 battery is 2004 and just fine and my 335 battery is 6 years old this month.
I think you will be fine to be totally honest since the electronics will not loose their setting until you get a really low VDC.
Also always keep your car locked so the computer is not pulsing the system every 4 hours...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Make sure that you charge using the under-hood terminals and not directly on the battery. The IBS will monitor the charge current and voltage and account for the recharging in its estimates of battery condition.

If your battery is a standard flooded lead acid, it's probably started to sulfate. Sulfation starts as early as 80% charge and becomes more and more of the factor the more discharged the battery is and the longer it stays that way. Leaving it go may have substantially shortened the overall service life of the battery, but that doesn't mean it won't seem to work "fine" once you charge it back up.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys! excellent advice!
Appreciate 0