E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e93 roof

08-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

e93 roof

anybody have problems with the roof not closing flush with the rear of the car on one/both sides. Sometimes it leaves a 1cm gap, then i raise it a few feet and close it again and it usually snaps in normally.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Closing the top from an open position works fine for me. I have a problem opening the roof with one piece of the right side -- the piece that covers the lift mechanism arm. When opening the roof sometimes the piece doesn't close flat. I hit the roof close button very quickly and it snaps into place; however the roof red light is now flashing. Then I hit the roof open button to finish the job. PITA and it works for now. Will mention it to the dealer when I take the car in.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
preacher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i vert

I think it somehow becomes a tad mis-aligned..on two occasions, it didn't want to finish its closing cycle..fell an inch or two short from doing so. I gently wiggled it with my left hand on the roof, and it fell into place. I will mention it when I go to the stealership next time I go.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep

I actually meant going from top up to top down, i get the misalignment in one of the joint behind me, to the right.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Keep us posted on the roof situation! I've had my e93 for a little over a month & no problems yet.
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
I actually meant going from top up to top down, i get the misalignment in one of the joint behind me, to the right.
I'm not sure what "joint" you are talking about. I am posting a picture of the flap that goes down when the top is lowered and pops up when the top is up. Sometimes when lowering the top, the cover pieces do not rest flush like they do in the picture below. Sometimes they are popped up a little bit but I later lower the top again and it sits flush. Seems to be a little imperfect but nothing really significant. I'll meantion it when I take the car in for my oil change but like I said it's really a non-issue.
Attached Images

08-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

I have the exact same problem. Also on my passenger side. Really bugs me. Please let us know what the dealer says! I'm taking my car in soon and will also be sure to share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc5174 View Post
Closing the top from an open position works fine for me. I have a problem opening the roof with one piece of the right side -- the piece that covers the lift mechanism arm. When opening the roof sometimes the piece doesn't close flat. I hit the roof close button very quickly and it snaps into place; however the roof red light is now flashing. Then I hit the roof open button to finish the job. PITA and it works for now. Will mention it to the dealer when I take the car in.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think this is the same thing CLC5174 and I have also. Basically the cover snaps shut and then opens about 1cm on the passenger side while closing and staying flush on the driver's side. Not sure that it is a problem, but it certainly is gheto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. That is the piece I am talking about...but on the other side. The little flap does not close flush (well, it does briefly, but then opens about 1cm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I'm not sure what "joint" you are talking about. I am posting a picture of the flap that goes down when the top is lowered and pops up when the top is up. Sometimes when lowering the top, the cover pieces do not rest flush like they do in the picture below. Sometimes they are popped up a little bit but I later lower the top again and it sits flush. Seems to be a little imperfect but nothing really significant. I'll meantion it when I take the car in for my oil change but like I said it's really a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep

roof

Quote:
Yes, thats it, on the passenger side. I think it definitely needs to be mentioned, especially if everyone is having similar issues. Even though it seems minor, I worry it could be the start of bigger roof issues (esp. being the 1st hard top convert. by bmw) Don't know about you, but there are so many gears and "things" in that roof mechanism, it seems like it's just a matter of time. Doesn't it remind you of something "Doc" would invent in "Back to the Future?"
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
I will definitely mention it but really it is not a signifcant issue and while the whole roof assembly is complex it should be expected that minor issues will crop up, but they should be addressed by the warranty and should be identified by the owner. Those considering an E93 shouldn't really be alarmed, convertible roofs of all types have minor fit issues that develop and this is really not anything to be concerned about.

And yes the whole roof looks like something a mad scientist invented.
      08-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
here's another member from sydney who has had some bigger problems then not just closing flush! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75042
      08-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep

roof

Quote:
I will definitely mention it but really it is not a signifcant issue and while the whole roof assembly is complex it should be expected that minor issues will crop up, but they should be addressed by the warranty and should be identified by the owner. Those considering an E93 shouldn't really be alarmed, convertible roofs of all types have minor fit issues that develop and this is really not anything to be concerned about.

And yes the whole roof looks like something a mad scientist invented.
And how are we so sure that they'll be really able to fix the problem properly, these are "local" mechanics and i'm sure they have no experience with the roof. It took 2 to figure out my comfort access b/c they've not used it on the new cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Roof storage sensor bad

Last Friday and again Saturday the roof failed to open. Got stuck with all three panels together and trunk lid open ready to receive them. Both times in public places -- oh, the shame. After several tries had to close the top.

They couldn't find a fault code even 'tho the red light blinks. Had to go in to the control module and compare sensor values.
Diagnosed a faulty roof storage sensor and part is on order from Germany.

I can never understand why parts like this aren't stockred locally.
      08-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
sonic03inSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Here is my roof problems from another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic03inSC View Post
We have no rattles but have had 2 problems in the last 2 weeks. First the lid was not closing all the way on the drivers side when putting the top down and was digging into the paint.We keep nothing in the trunk at all and the car has 3k miles on it.

Then after getting the car back from that, the wife had the top down last night and this happened.

This is our first BMW and is starting to be a disappointment for my wife. I understand how first run cars can be but it is really frustrating.