XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

09-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
mjameson
Rep
Drives: X5

FS: BMW X5 Custom Kicker Stealth Subwoofer Boxes

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
MW X5 Custom Stealth Subwoofer Boxes for sale

Subwoofer box designed and built specifically for a 2002 BMW X5 (E53). The box fit specifically in the drivers side rear stow panel in the X5 trunk area. When installed, the panel closed and fit flush, completely concealing the installation and leaving the trunk free and clear. I sold the BMW and figured these could go to a new home. Sadly I did not get any pictures of the installation before I removed it. The system installation was used for a little under 2 years.

The box was designed specifically for a 8" Kicker SoloBaric S7 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil subwoofer. While that subwoofer size seems small, don't let it fool you. The subwoofer is rated for 900 watts peak each (450 watts RMS), and could easily satisfy anyone. That is anyone who isn't on the competitive car stereo circuit with several thousand dollars to spare. Box is built robust in order to handle this high power. I had powered both subwoofers with a compact Kenwood Exelon XR-1S Class D Mono amplifier. This amplifier is rated for 1500 watts peak (700 watts RMS). The amplifier is able to fit in the space under the passenger side subwoofer, concealing it nicely.

Compare these boxes to other BMW specific boxes from Bravarian Soundwerks or JL Audio's Stealthbox. Both are around $600 and have one 10" subwoofer rated for about 300 watts peak, just a tiny fraction of what is possible using these boxes and the Kicker subs. This is easily the most high powered, audiophile grade subwoofer system one can install in the factory space in a BMW X5. All totaled, this system new is approximately $1200 plus the cost of the custom box which typically runs several hundred dollars.

I'm willing to sell these in a few ways, depending on what you want or need. These prices do not include shipping if needed. Pickup is desired, but we can certainly arrange something. Note that the small sub box and one sub has been sold

Passenger side subwoofer enclosure (the bigger one, other one was sold): $75
Passenger side subwoofer enclosure and the Kicker L7: $325
Subwoofer box, the Kicker L7 and the Kenwood Amplifier: $600

Also included for free with any of the above are the power and ground cables, a fuse holder, and line level inputs which allow you to hook the amplifier up to the factory BMW radio with minimal splicing. Some minimal fitment is required, such as some plastic tab trimming and mounting with existing bolting, but significant interior panel work is not required and overall look is completely stealthy.

Let me know if you want any additional pictures

Attached Images

Last edited by mjameson; 09-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Sold one sub and box
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW x5 3.0i

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
Exactly how will these be connected to the amp?
& shipping to Toronto, Ontario. CANADA

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
mjameson
Rep

Both enclosures have large gauge speaker wire run through the sidewall and were sealed when the rest of the box was caulked. Given the small space I was working with and the high pressure from the Kickers at maximum power, typical speaker terminal cups wouldn't have worked well. Both wires have are cut to the exact X5 trunk dimensions, so they should be plug and play with the amp mounted on the passenger side below the plastic floor panel (see the location on the 1st picture).

Shipping will obviously depend on what pieces you are interested in. After a quick UPS search its probably looking around $50-$100US.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjameson View Post
Both enclosures have large gauge speaker wire run through the sidewall and were sealed when the rest of the box was caulked. Given the small space I was working with and the high pressure from the Kickers at maximum power, typical speaker terminal cups wouldn't have worked well. Both wires have are cut to the exact X5 trunk dimensions, so they should be plug and play with the amp mounted on the passenger side below the plastic floor panel (see the location on the 1st picture).

Shipping will obviously depend on what pieces you are interested in. After a quick UPS search its probably looking around $50-$100US.
i see, i never looked at the OEM amp but are there aux ports already on it? or will i need to be doing some stripping and what not. & also the remote write, did you just connect it to anything that turn on when key is on?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
mjameson
Rep

I spliced into the line levels on the amp and used a line-level converted (pictured above) to make the RCA connections. For the remote turn on lead I used the existing remote turn on for the factory amplifier. BSW has an excellent writeup with pictures on all the steps. Installation of this subwoofer setup is exactly the same, just much better quality and higher power sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
BRABUSBENZ21
Rep
Drives: 2003 X5 BMW 4.6IS ESTORIL BLUE

Garage List
Can I still use my factory dsp amp for interior speakers if i add this amp and sub combo?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
mjameson
Rep

There's no reason I see that you can't use it. Since the connection is a line level style, you can tap into the subwoofer connections on the passenger side vs the amplifier connections on the drivers side with the non-DSP setup. Everything else is the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
what kind of LOC (line out converter) is that? is it any good?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
mjameson
Rep

The LOC is a P.I.E. EIS-LOC4-T. It worked great for me. Not the most expensive LOC around, but I've used a few pricey ones before and couldn't tell the difference, so I chose to spend the money on the amp and subs instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
mjameson
Rep

One of the two subs has sold, passenger side sub and box and amp remain, as does the LOC.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
JamesTowers1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X5 3.0i

Is It still available??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjameson View Post
One of the two subs has sold, passenger side sub and box and amp remain, as does the LOC.
Hello,

Is it still available? or at least the box only? shipping would be to 08812

or maybe the plans for the boxes $$$.

I plan to install on a BMW X5 2006.

Thank you
Appreciate 0