E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i M sport edition warranty

08-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question BMW 335i M sport edition warranty

Hi all, i was thinking of buying a used 2010 335i m sport here in Canada. The person I'm buying from said that he got a from a luxury import dealer here in Canada, and that the importers had previously got it from the states. It still has 2 years warranty left, and that everything is covered. He said that there was muffler and air intake installed by the previous owner in the states. I was wondering, does this VOID the warranty? he said that he doesn't because the computer system hasn't been tampered with. What should i do in this situation? Do i have to take it to a certified BMW and pay them to check it out?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Scrubber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe (former)

Here in "Mexico's Canada", we have the Magnussen Act (or something spelled similarly) which essentially says that in order for the manufacturer to void the warranty, they first have to prove that the modified part was involved in the failure.

For example, a manufacturer could not void your warranty if a suspension component sheared in half if all you had done was a cold air intake. Now if you've got a heavily modified suspension, then yes, they could definitely have an argument to not honor the warranty agreement. Additionally (and I could be wrong here) they wouldn't VOID your warranty for trying to file a warranty claim on your heavily modified (now broke) suspension, but they certainly have the right to not honor that warranty claim, which is reasonable in my mind.

Now if that applies in Canada...I do not know. But I'm sure there is something similar...

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

Good luck arguing that.... I'm currently batting a warranty claim because of LUX angel eyes and aftermarket wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber View Post
Here in "Mexico's Canada", we have the Magnussen Act (or something spelled similarly) which essentially says that in order for the manufacturer to void the warranty, they first have to prove that the modified part was involved in the failure.

For example, a manufacturer could not void your warranty if a suspension component sheared in half if all you had done was a cold air intake. Now if you've got a heavily modified suspension, then yes, they could definitely have an argument to not honor the warranty agreement. Additionally (and I could be wrong here) they wouldn't VOID your warranty for trying to file a warranty claim on your heavily modified (now broke) suspension, but they certainly have the right to not honor that warranty claim, which is reasonable in my mind.

Now if that applies in Canada...I do not know. But I'm sure there is something similar...

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
AaronLBeltran
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
Good luck arguing that.... I'm currently batting a warranty claim because of LUX angel eyes and aftermarket wheels.
Are you serious? You have dickhead SAs at your dealership. What are you trying to have covered by the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20450 View Post
Hi all, i was thinking of buying a used 2010 335i m sport here in Canada. The person I'm buying from said that he got a from a luxury import dealer here in Canada, and that the importers had previously got it from the states. It still has 2 years warranty left, and that everything is covered. He said that there was muffler and air intake installed by the previous owner in the states. I was wondering, does this VOID the warranty? he said that he doesn't because the computer system hasn't been tampered with. What should i do in this situation? Do i have to take it to a certified BMW and pay them to check it out?

Thanks
CALL BMW Canada and ask them...don't rely on definite answer from us..or like you said take it to a dealership....pay whatetever it is for the dealer to check it out. Common Sense!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
LeMans E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans E90

Hit and Miss

Seems like it seems to vary based on which dealership you end up with. Some are nit-picky, others are not.

Maybe anyone from the Vancouver area can chime in on their experience with dealers up there?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
El Mono
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Normally any mods done to the car will only void warranty if the failure can be tied to the mod.
Appreciate 0