E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can you use connect and sub to the standard cd player????

11-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320d msport 2005

Can you use connect and sub to the standard cd player????

hey guys another question lol

I have an buit in amp sub which i want to use on my e90, however I do not want an aftermarket cd/mp3 player as they look tacky lol

just wondering can you actually connect the amp to the standard E90 cd player??? because I understand that most standard CD player does not come with the wiring connector for the amp, therefore has any body perfrom this mod successfully?????

if do is there a step to step guid on this forum?????

your input would be appriciated greatly

kind regards
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
sandman0615
bimmer freak
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi 6MT

i'm not quite sure what you are trying to ask - are you trying to use a subwoofer on the stock head unit/amplifier?

if so, i use a bazooka sub which you have to splice in to the existing wiring harness. it has its own onboard amp which you have to connect to the battery in the trunk. i dont know if they still make those but the infinity basslink would be similar.

it works great, but i've seen even simpler solutions where you replace the woofer under your seat with subwoofers. i have not looked in to this route personally and dont really have any info to offer on it.

hope that helps

||DIY: DEPO P90||
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Depending on which system you have (standard, Hi-Fi, or top Hi-Fi (L7)), it's different for each setup.

Regardless of each setup, you need to tap wires coming out of your stock amp (underseat woofers) in the trunk or in the case of the standard HU, you tap the rear deck speakers.

Search the audio forum....alot of people have wired amps to the factory HU. There are tons of DIY guides.

BTW, you should post the specs of your amp/sub and which HU you have if you want anymore input.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanx guys your input has helped me greatly, im still new to this forum therefore im still getting to grips with the navigation of the forum lol

well I got an audiobarn sub that has an built in amp (2in1 tube), I had it in my previous car so I might as well wack it in the e90..

I was worried intially that the standard head unit would not be able to support after market subs, now i know it does, I jus have to gain more insight to how to get around it.

cheers guys for the help, much appriciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
carbidetech
postaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Black Sapphire

One thing to be aware of, and I just skimmed the posts so forgive if it was already mentioned, is to check to see if your built-in amp has line level inputs. These are the little screws that you would connect speaker wires to on your amp. Not going out to speakers but a signal coming FROM the cars speakers. Some amps only have RCA type inputs and speaker outputs but some have both. If yours has both (I suspect it does) then you can wire directly from your rear shelf speakers to the amp. If you have speakers under the front seats, you will want the signal (wires) from them instead. If you use the rear speakers on the shelf (if you have underseat subs), I'm not 100% sure, but the shelf speakers may have the low frequencies cut off. If you tap them, you will not get the bass signal you need. If you don't have underseat subs, then I'm sure you can use the rear shelf speakers. Make sure you tap the speaker leads and not the tweeters (again, if the standard unit has tweeters back there).
I'm still learning too so if any of this info is wrong, PLEASE post and correct me. I've done many, many installs in my youth but that was MUCH less complicated even with several amps/multiple speakers. Loud is easy, but quality is not so easy. At 42, I want loud and quality!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

If you have the base sond system you may need a bass restoration processor.
http://m.crutchfield.com/mt/www.crut...n_jtt_redirect
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep

cheers guys for your input, im still finding more info from guys in helfords to see if the standard head unit is compatible with the sub... if i hav futher progression, i will let u guys know!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Well finding out what sound system you have should be the first thing you do. Do you have tweeters pods on your front doors right next to the window? Do you have a speaker in the middle of the dash?
Appreciate 0