E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Brand New: 2011 328i Xdrive Radio Problem

10-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
WhiteHalf
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i White Coupe (e92)

Brand New: 2011 328i Xdrive Radio Problem

Ok so I have a brand new 2011 328i Xdrive sedan, only 3 weeks old and I notice that it seems to have 2 problems already. I really hope this is not a precursor of things to come, as I was hoping that BMW was going to be the best car on the planet.

Problem #1:

I've only driven the car maybe 8 times so far and 3 out of those times the radio was all scratchy at a normal volume level. The best way to describe it is as if you were listen to a radio station, lets say Hot 89.9 and you have it accidentally set on station 89.7 - where you can hear the song but it's really scratchy. Or when you are driving out of radio range where your radio is getting fuzzy due to it losing signal. It is making a sound like that.

Attempts to troubleshoot the problem solved nothign. I tried to turn the radio off and on and it still happens.

I tried turning the car itself off and then wait 30 seconds and start the car again, the radio still was doing the same thing.

However, oddly enough if you get in the car an hour later or so the radio is perfect. Called the dealership and they said it could be a software problem and that a software update could solve the issue. Is this possibly the answer? I mean it is a brand new car, shouldn't it have been updated before I picked it up?

Anyone else experience this same issue?

Problem #2:

The car has luxury package and the keyless go system. As you approach the car and put your hand on the handle to unlock the door, the obvious mechanical door sounds occur, but in the background a very high pitch electronic sound is emitting from the entire car.

When you sit inside the car, you can hear this odd pulsating high pitched sound - in a regular pattern (the sound makes a pattern). Two ways of describing it would be like the sound of when you had an old tube TV and the cable box was turned off, but the TV was still on and you could hear that high pitched annoying sound in the background. Or secondly, similarly to some old tube computer screens.

When you put the radio on it obviously drowns out the high pitched sound, but if you just decrease the volume or turn it off, the high pitched electrical sound is there.

It seems like the sound is emitting from the speakers on the door. If you bend down and put your ear to it, this is where the source seems to come from.

I'm not sure what this is, but I sheen of the brand new car and reputation of buying the best made car in the world have kind have been dusted up. I cannot say I'm entirely disappointed, but my other cars are Honda's and I never had to bring them in, especially not 3 weeks after purchasing it.

Please help this frustrated new buyer!!!

-WhiteHalf
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Solutionto a): Software update, if it has ben released yet (should have been released in SEpt, never followed up on it)
Solution b): compare with another car.

In General: See you dealer, not a forum. No one here can connect an OBD device to your car via the internet (allthough it is possible

Don't get me wrong I love forums, it is just that asking the dealer is sometimes more productive.

Regards,

Ray
      10-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
#1- i dunno my car does not do that
#2- my car does that, its normal. Its very faint but audible. it doesnt bug me the moment you touch the car, open a door, ect, it makes that high pitched noise. its quiet, i mostly only can hear it when the car is being accessed in the confines of my garage. I believe it is the fuel pump pressurizing but dont quote me on that. you'll notice when the car does this, the drive indicator on the shift indicator also lights up. The noise goes away when that light turns out after several minutes. i think its the car 'standing by'.
      10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

I have the same car and at first I noticed that the radio stations sometimes fades out as if is aquaring a new signal. I check the radio screen and noticed that it only happens when it changes from Stereo to HD signal.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
WhiteHalf
Canada
Rep

Ahh, I'll look for that again, but this doesn't seem to be the problem as it will not fade in and out, it is entirely scratchy the entire time. Hopefully, someone else has had this problem already and can comment on how it was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
WhiteHalf
Canada
Rep

Ok seems like update solved the issue. Hasn't had any radio issues since.
Appreciate 0