E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another e46 330Ci -> e92 335 review (LONG)

01-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Another e46 330Ci -> e92 335 review (LONG)

Just another review, from a previous e46 owner. Feel free to move along, or read below if you're deciding whether to upgrade and would like some outside perspective. It's long, and I don't apologize for that either

Previous ride was an '04 330Ci with M-Sport package, ordered June '03. I don't think it had the official ZHP designation - no 18" wheels - yet it sounded different and seemed quicker than the 330i I had test-driven. Whatever.

Engine

Nothing to say here that hasn't already been said. I miss the in-cabin growl of the 330Ci. The 335 has a more refined note, yet it's got an almost layered quality to it. The base character is unremarkable, but there seems to be an impatient mechanical noise on top of that that gets more noticeable as the RPMs increase. Turbos perhaps? No idea, but it satifies the all-important aural stimulation requirement. Litmus test - I can still feel/hear the engine with the volume turned up.

The torque does kick-@ss though :rocks:

Road feel

Need more time to evaluate this. Initially I felt more isolated from the road than I did in the 330Ci. Car felt bigger. Steering felt more numb. Now, for whatever reason the 330 could be a handful; versus the 328, the 330 communicated all sorts of feedback. Tramlining was a b!tch initially, and still was to some extent even after replacing the tires. So I dunno if this is a fair evaluation of the 335i if it's only by comparison to the 330.

I will say however that I'm getting used to the car and it's increasingly feeling more alive than it did on the ride home after delivery.

And even when it gets squirly (damn, that torque kicks @ss! ) it's not in an "oh, I didn't expect that" sort of way. Meaning that the feedback is still precise and the handling predictable. It's just... different, and takes some getting used to.

Tranny

Being old-school I stuck with the 6MT. Nothing new to report here - my shifts are jerky again but I think that's a matter of acclimatizing to the car and breaking-in the tranny.

Hill-hold... noticed it in the garage a few times, but wasn't as obtrusive as I feared. It didn't seem to interfere with inching forward/backward, which happened quite a bit as I had to position the car to be able to change the wheels. So... no negative comments.

iDrive

Well worth it, IMO. I don't think it's fair to compare iDrive to non-iDrive, as they both represent completely different ways of interacting with your vehicle's systems - and I think it's a matter of personal preference as which method one prefers. My motivation for ordering iDrive was twofold: 1) to get rid of buttons and make the interior less cluttered, and (2) I'm a tech geek. Overall I have to say that I'm satisfied with the system. It can be slow on the initial load of some screens, but I find this to be the exception more than the norm, and does not detract from its usability. Even with 500+ contacts in my phone directory I still find the interface to be sufficiently responsive. It gets the job done, no complaints.

RE: Nav. Meh. I'll use it if I need it. To me it's just one of the functions of iDrive, not the other way around.

Assist/Bluetooth

Canadians don't get the concierge service that US buyers do. Unfortunately these two options go hand-in-hand so to get Bluetooth you have to get Assist. Nothing to say about Assist really...

...but Bluetooth is very cool. Along with CA it gives additional merit to the prospect of just getting in the car, putting on the seatbelt and taking off without going through pockets or belt holsters for this and that. Synced my phonebook. Just worked. Moto v635, can't decide on a smartphone yet.

Comfort Access

Another transparent technology that I initially shunned. What sold it for me was our (normally-)cold Canadian winters and the appeal of not having to take my gloves off.

It. just. works. No fruitless handle-pulling yet. Trunk operation will take some more getting used to (and my salesman incorrectly claimed it does not work with the trunk, but it seems to on mine)

Audio/Logic7

I came from the upgraded Harmon-Kardon system in the 330Ci and the 328Ci before that. For whatever reason the 330 had tighter bass than the 328, but it would distort the midrange at modestly-loud volume levels and the highs could have been more crisp. At normal listening levels I wouldn't call the Logic7 system a quantum leap, but where it really shines is in the fullness of the sound and its ability to maintain coherency as the volume increases. Another worthwhile option.

And the ability to play MP3 CDs/DVDs - priceless. I don't have an iPod, and probably never will because it doesn't integrate well enough into my networked home audio system, which itself is my preferred method for storing and cataloging my music (1500+ albums!). However, with MP3 DVD's I can effectively sync a DVD's contents to various playlists I have defined in my audio system, then navigate that DVD's contents in the car with iDrive. My tracks are all ID3-tagged and named with the same naming convention, so it's all very convenient. It's a long story, but the moral of it is that being able to play MP3 media is a big plus

Belt-butler

Still debating what to do about this. I'm old school and don't mind reaching back to get my belt. The butler hasn't gotten in the way, but we've sort of "passed each other in the fog" - I'll grab the belt before the butler hands it to me, or the butler will sit there with the belt out at times when I don't want it. So I know the butler is there but I don't notice it per-se. I'd disable it just to keep it from flying apart or scuffing the interior, otherwise it's all good.

New-fangled blinker operation

Got this all f@$#ed-up in the test drive. Got the pendulum thing going where I'd signal, then cancel and signal the other way, then cancel and signal the other way... <sigh>. Interestingly enough this happened all of one time after taking delivery, and since then it's been rather transparent, like the belt butler. So, I give it a passing mark. And the 3-blink feature is nice, despite thinking it would be one of the first things I'd disable

Tri-tone interior

Dammit, I wanted the anthracite roofliner!!! Not available in Canada until March though (at the earliest). During the PDI the CA mentioned that he now understood why I wanted it with the Coral Red leather. Would have looked so much nicer. Oh well, dem's the breaks. Overall though the liner material is nicer than the e46. Well, it's different, and that may be enough in itself.

Lighting effects

Okay, the whole lighting package on the car kicks @ss! I was playing with the fob in my garage for like 5 minutes watching all the various lights do their thing. Even the LED bars in the taillights fade in/out! Then I opened the door, closed it, and kept playing - but the exterior lights stopped participating? Will need to play (ahem, "research") this further.

The functional interior lighting is a good improvement though. I like that there's a seperate dome light for the rear seat, as well as all the footwell and door sill lighting.

Externally I haven't really noticed the advantage of the adaptive headlights. Most of my driving is on well-lit streets, and if they're not well-lit then they're mostly straight. However the cornering lights are quite nice, like when turning into the driveway. Effective, a plus.

Styling

<sigh> I still think my 330Ci had a more aggressive look. The car was still turning the occasional head. I'm not a mod guy, and this car is leased, but I may have to look into some H&R springs a little later. This is perhaps the one area where I favour the 330Ci (with the M-Sport package).

However it's only day two with the new car, and the skinny winter wheels are on now so this judgement may be premature.

Heated seats

Those suckers heat up fast. Much faster than the 330Ci. Gotta be careful with those things.

New Car smell

Giving me a headache. It's so friggin intense! Please go away. Soon.

Conclusion

If I could have both the 330Ci M-Sport and the 335 I would. They're both nice cars, just different. BMW is definitely moving more in the comfort/luxury direction, and I have to commend them for keeping the spirit of the car intact given its dual personas.

But there's a reason why I like the marque, and the e92 wears the badge well. This may be selfish on my part, but as I get older the need for seat-of-the-pants driving diminishes while my appreciation of creature comforts increases. It's nice to know that I can count on BMW to keep me very satisfied on both the sport and luxury fronts.

Some quick pics of the new ride are here.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Congrats, good writeup and enjoy your new ride..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina
Rep
Drives: E39/E46/E87/E92

Excellent review!

I also own a 2001 330Ci (Cosmoschwartz, black leather, titanium trim, Eibach, Koni Sport and ASA AR1 18x8 & 18x9), and have a 335i coupe on order (Spacegrau, Saddle brown, Grey poplar, Anthrazit headliner, Active steering, Steptronic w/paddles, and 19" style 230 rims). Mine will arrive at the end of April. Long wait...

I am planning to keep both coupes. A "sporty classic" such as the E46, plus the "modern elegance" of the E92. Best of both worlds!

Have you been able to measure the fuel consumption? They should both be quite similar.

And what about the road/wind noise at speed? The E92 must be quieter, right?

Will look forward to your next in-depth review after some extra miles on that beauty!

Last edited by Martinmaxx; 01-17-2007 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Great review, and nice looking ride.
      01-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Nice write-up man. I am making the move in less than 2 months. I am glad I will have my e30 to always keep me in check with the simple times.
      01-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
pierre_wei
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Apine white 335i

Nice Reviews~~
i agree with you..cause while i drove my dad's 330ci...everthing seems more powerful and 330ci make you wanna go faster and faster....in 335i...car is so quite and get to the speed you want in very comfortable feeling....
and i kinda miss there are two more real windows that you can open in 330ci!!

Thx for great reviews!! :rocks: :rocks:

got my car at 1/10/07!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
charlie335
Shiodome Redeveloper
Canada
Rep
Drives: lawllercoaster

lol @ the winter wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie335
lol @ the winter wheels
You like those eh? Gives me something to look forward to in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinmaxx
Have you been able to measure the fuel consumption? They should both be quite similar.
Hard to guage in the winter. We had unseasonably warm weather through to the end of last week. Fuel consumption goes up in the slippery stuff, which decided to make its grand entrance this week in time for the new ride. In any event the first tank is a write-off anyhow, so I'll know more with the second tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinmaxx
And what about the road/wind noise at speed? The E92 must be quieter, right?
Seems so. And the window seals weren't as tight on the 330 so that didn't help matters much.

It really is deceptive though. Quieter cabin and faster car. When people write of how surprised they are at how fast they're going - believe it!
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Great review, thanks! I agree with most (all?) of what you said. I saw an e46 M-sport the other day in a parking lot and was amazed at how deep and growly the stock exhaust was (I checked, and it was). The 335i has moments when it resonates nicely (a few sweet spots in all RPM ranges), but the e46 knew how to sing.

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

great write up and beautiful e92! I really liked the last part

"But there's a reason why I like the marque, and the e92 wears the badge well. This may be selfish on my part, but as I get older the need for seat-of-the-pants driving diminishes while my appreciation of creature comforts increases. It's nice to know that I can count on BMW to keep me very satisfied on both the sport and luxury fronts"

I can completely agree. The three series isnt and wasnt meant for 16 year old drivers. Its more of a mans car now.