E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > minor accident advice

02-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

minor accident advice

all,

wanted to ask the forum for advice. i accidentally bumped the car in front of me at a stop light, a white camry taxi cab. estimated speed was less than .5 mph, and the impact was negligible. actually, this is the first time i've been thankful for having the dealer installed front license plate, as there was abs no damage to my car.

the other car had two small dent's about 4mm in diameter, but that was it (the clearcoat was intact as well where the bumps were) caused by the mounting screws for my license plate. the rest of the taxi bumper was already thrashed previous to the impact (as expected, taxi cabs live a hard life--most of the damage seemed to be from people loading/unloading luggage). because it was a taxi cab, the police showed up. after inspecting both cars, police recommendation was not to file a report, but the taxi cab company elected to do that. it was reported to my insurance, and i've also sent my insurance company pictures of the other car, and made a statement, etc.

now i find out from my ins company that the other driver is filing a medical claim. do i have any recourse? wouldn't my ins company do some due diligence on the claim being filed (i.e. given that the impact, damage are so minimal)? i'm an engineer, so i wouldnt mind doing a few quick calculations to estimate the amount of energy involved int he crash, but not sure that would help. any thoughts guys? or are you automatically screwed when it comes to a medical claim?
      02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

depends on the police report. Then on your insurance company, either way your covered so you shouldn't have to worry about it. But i'd say at least 700$, a trip to the er just for them to check you out. Then anything after that depends on your insurance's investigation. Can't claim rediculous amounts if it's noted to be a super small incident - insurance fraud.

i said 700 because that's how much the insurance company had to pay my medical insurance back when i was in a accident. Regardless, you are at fault since you rear-ended the taxi, can't argue it. And taxi guy can always claim muscle ache/pain which really can't be detectable.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

well that what insurance is for...provided you have medical liability coverage and whatnot. if you do not have that kind of coverage and liability, then you may need a lawyer. his validity for his claim depends on how quickly he sought medical attention after.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have comprehensive insurance, but i want to avoid an increase in premiums. if the damage claim is small enough, my premiums will not go up. if there is some huge medical claim, then they will go up.
      02-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

once the insurance companies are involved, it's really out of your hands. shouldve just offered him a hundred bucks on the spot to make him go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

i thought abt it, but the guy was freaking out. he looked eritrean, so i used some of my half assed arabic to calm him down. apparently, they have camera's in the cabs, his supervisor was on his way, and basically they need to do the full report.

looking back, i would say i should probably have waved a couple hundred in his face
      02-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i thought abt it, but the guy was freaking out. he looked eritrean, so i used some of my half assed arabic to calm him down. apparently, they have camera's in the cabs, his supervisor was on his way, and basically they need to do the full report.

looking back, i would say i should probably have waved a couple hundred in his face
these cabbies probably bump each other all the time. anyway, the $100 offer has worked for me once, and it was completely worth it even though the damage was nowhere near $100. hope everything works out well.

cal fan?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Yep out of your hands and up to the insurance company. You can't make them fight or settle. Case in point, my GF is in sales and drives about 40K a year. Couple years ago she taps, actually hits maybe at 4 miles an hour based on damage to her plate, the car in front of her. Guy sues and shit you not claims he can't have sex since the accident. Now what a crock load but the insurance company offered money to settle and he took it no matter what we said. Be prepared for some interesting allegations. Her insurance is company paid company car ut damn I'll bet it did go up!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
these cabbies probably bump each other all the time. anyway, the $100 offer has worked for me once, and it was completely worth it even though the damage was nowhere near $100. hope everything works out well.

cal fan?
yep, bears fan. unfort, my berkeley alumni plate did nothing to help me in this case, ha ha.
      02-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Yep out of your hands and up to the insurance company. You can't make them fight or settle. Case in point, my GF is in sales and drives about 40K a year. Couple years ago she taps, actually hits maybe at 4 miles an hour based on damage to her plate, the car in front of her. Guy sues and shit you not claims he can't have sex since the accident. Now what a crock load but the insurance company offered money to settle and he took it no matter what we said. Be prepared for some interesting allegations. Her insurance is company paid company car ut damn I'll bet it did go up!
unbelievable--i bet the guy was laughing all the way to the bank. many years ago, i was in a company vehicle and got rear-ended. i should have claimed some kind of sex disability and gotten some $$ as well.

yeah, if there is a payout of more than 750 dollars, i'll get hit w/ a surcharge for 2 years i think.
      02-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
unbelievable--i bet the guy was laughing all the way to the bank. many years ago, i was in a company vehicle and got rear-ended. i should have claimed some kind of sex disability and gotten some $$ as well.

yeah, if there is a payout of more than 750 dollars, i'll get hit w/ a surcharge for 2 years i think.
unfortunately, i bet your insurance company's "convenience payment" (a fee they'd rather settle for since it'll probably be cheaper than the cost of litigation) is higher than 750. Did I read that right though? .5mph? or 5mph?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Good thing insurance was involved.

Fortunately, with the negligible amount of damaged caused I doubt that your insurance company is going to pay this guys medical bills. Plenty of scammers out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

nope, you read correctly .5 mph as in 1/2 of a mph, hence the minimal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
unfortunately, i bet your insurance company's "convenience payment" (a fee they'd rather settle for since it'll probably be cheaper than the cost of litigation) is higher than 750. Did I read that right though? .5mph? or 5mph?
      02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Insurance companies deal with this kind of stuff all the time. Since there was little impact and little damage, they aren't going to let anyone walk away with lots of bucks. My guess is that they'll be willing to give the guy a few bucks to make it go away.
Appreciate 0