E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DSC really works!!

07-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
GS833
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZHP

DSC really works!!

Well, I went out in the rain today and tried to see how well the DSC really worked. I tried a 90 degree turn on 2nd gear, hit the throttle before mid turn while turning the wheel and did NOT lift at all. The tail started to really come out and I just kept pointing exactly where I wanted to go and the car just found a way to go there. It's by far the smartest stability/traction control I've ever driven. I also tried a 45 degree turn in 3rd gear with the exact same result result.

Disclaimer:"Do not try this at home. Trained professional on a controlled enviroment"
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Duh.

But yeah, it's cool to see how it kicks in. I rarely drive with the full system on though, only in heavy rain at night, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I sure do hope DSC 'really' works
      07-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
BmwOwnsMe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi

does having Dsc off save gas?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
canucklion
Canada
Rep

I rather leave it on to possibly save my life than to save a few dollars (if any) each month

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwOwnsMe
      07-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwOwnsMe
lol no
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
backtofront001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Duh.

But yeah, it's cool to see how it kicks in. I rarely drive with the full system on though, only in heavy rain at night, etc.
Firstly, when DSC kicks in for the first time it scares the crap out of u because all of a sudden the car is being controlled by some force other than u so I thought it was kinda scary.
Secondly, making DSC come on a lot -- is that bad? I am very protective about my things and when DSC comes on, it makes me think that I am hurting the car somehow. Like I'll be testing the handling of the car and then all of a sudden I hear a little wheel screech and DSC stabilizing everything. Is that bad in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofront001
Why u drive with DSC off?
I leave DTC on. The yellow light is pleasing to my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Firstly, when DSC kicks in for the first time it scares the crap out of u because all of a sudden the car is being controlled by some force other than u so I thought it was kinda scary.
Secondly, making DSC come on a lot -- is that bad? I am very protective about my things and when DSC comes on, it makes me think that I am hurting the car somehow. Like I'll be testing the handling of the car and then all of a sudden I hear a little wheel screech and DSC stabilizing everything. Is that bad in anyway?
No, that's not bad. Now if you hear the engine exploding, then that's bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
backtofront001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i

Quote:
No, that's not bad. Now if you hear the engine exploding, then that's bad.
so sliding around all over the place and having DSC correct u, has no ill effects on tranny or suspension or anything
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
I leave DTC on. The yellow light is pleasing to my eyes.
why? just because its orange in color?

is it really yellow?

the exclamation point inside the triangle keeps me awake and focused.
      07-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so sliding around all over the place and having DSC correct u, has no ill effects on tranny or suspension or anything
Of course components will wear out faster if you do stuff like that. It's so fun though, so it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
why? just because its orange in color?

is it really yellow?

the exclamation point inside the triangle keeps me awake and focused.
Yeah, it's more yellow.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
GS833
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is actually the first time I try it. I just wanted to truly experiment the car's actions to correct. Instead of freakin' out or trying to do it myself. I don't drive like a maniac or try this kind of stuff. I auto-X and track (another car) very often so I have no need to do anything stupid on the street. I might try to experiment without DSC or both off someday if I ever auto-X or track the car, but chances are that won't be happening unless I purchased the car. Racing a leased car just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling for some reason...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
Dawg Nuts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 E90

Garage List
2007 E90 335  [0.00]
2004 X5  [0.00]
Yeah, it works or BMW wouldn't put it in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #16
canucklion
Canada
Rep

you're a good man, a lot of people who lease beat the shit out of their leased car since it's not really theirs

I say take care of any car, be it leased or bought, like it's your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90
This is actually the first time I try it. I just wanted to truly experiment the car's actions to correct. Instead of freakin' out or trying to do it myself. I don't drive like a maniac or try this kind of stuff. I auto-X and track (another car) very often so I have no need to do anything stupid on the street. I might try to experiment without DSC or both off someday if I ever auto-X or track the car, but chances are that won't be happening unless I purchased the car. Racing a leased car just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling for some reason...
      07-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90
Just think of it as an adopted child...that you throw away after it gets too old for you to abuse it without it noticing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
GS833
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, i've always taken good care of my cars. Be it old, new, purchased or now for my first time; leased. Even with my track cars I've been as careful as I could be. Maybe after a few more months the whole new car thing will wear out and I'll be able to let it loose a little more I'm really curious as to what the 330 could do on the track...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #19
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

DUH! it works.

Go to the BMW Performance Center and they'll REALLY show you how well it works. In terms of safety, it's the best feature on the car hands down. Well, actually the only other feature that beats it is airbags, but then again, airbags are on every car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #20
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Just think of it as an adopted child...that you throw away after it gets too old for you to abuse it without it noticing.
lol, almost makes you feel guilty to laugh at that.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #21
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
you're a good man, a lot of people who lease beat the shit out of their leased car since it's not really theirs

I say take care of any car, be it leased or bought, like it's your own
canucklion +1, absolutely, and 330iE90 I agree that it is refreshing to hear somebody actually say that they will take good care of a leased vehicle.

Mine is purchased new, but I really hate to hear people saying that they feel like it's ok to abuse their car because "it's only leased". A big part of BMW's reputation is staked on the CPO leased car resales, and it is precisely this attitude that results in cars that can't live up to that reputation. None of us would like to purchase a BMW and have it turn up with problems because someone before us had not cared about the car.

That's the thing - we care about BMWs. It is why we spend out time talking about them like this.

Drive them to the very edge of their performance - if that is what suits you, because they are made for that. But don't abuse them just because you can and then pass any problem off to somebody else - that is just irresponsible.
      07-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

Quote:
Exactly what do you feel when DSC kicks in? When I tried a fast turn the other day, the tyre started to squeak and I slow down because I was scared the car would roll over.
Appreciate 0