home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

01-17-2024, 07:22 PM   #1
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Wireless tray the same as 3-series?

Does anyone know if the wireless charging tray in the G87 auto is the same as the tray in the 3-series? I removed the standard tray with digital key reader from my 330e to install the wireless tray (before I knew how bad it sucked). I have the non-wireless tray and would like to swap it into the M2. Will it work?

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 11:21 AM   #2
TheOOZY
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4 M40i, 2024 BMW M2

The wireless phone charger in the manual is in the center compartment - had I known I would not have specd it. Removes way too much space, and it doesn't fit my phone with a case on it anyways. I believe the auto has a tray in front of the shifter.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:06 PM   #3
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Does anyone know if the wireless charging tray in the G87 auto is the same as the tray in the 3-series? I removed the standard tray with digital key reader from my 330e to install the wireless tray (before I knew how bad it sucked). I have the non-wireless tray and would like to swap it into the M2. Will it work?
I believe they're the same.

You essentially want the same tray to be on the M2 but without the charging feature, yes? Just so you can rest your phone in there without it charging, or what's the reason? You don't like to put your phone facing down?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:15 PM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I believe they're the same.

You essentially want the same tray to be on the M2 but without the charging feature, yes? Just so you can rest your phone in there without it charging, or what's the reason? You don't like to put your phone facing down?
Correct, using the tray as a phone storage location. I currently keep it in the center console (have a organizer in there), but if my wife or son is in the car having another spot would be helpful. My phone gets very warm when in the tray on just the 5-min drive to take my son to practice.

If they're the same, I'll just swap out the tray with the non-charging tray.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:17 PM   #5
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Correct, using the tray as a phone storage location. I currently keep it in the center console (have a organizer in there), but if my wife or son is in the car having another spot would be helpful. My phone gets very warm when in the tray on just the 5-min drive to take my son to practice.

If they're the same, I'll just swap out the tray with the non-charging tray.
Let us know how it goes. I would bet they're the same part number even.

But why not just put your phone with the screen facing down? That will prevent it from charging.

It'll get warm anyway because of CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:26 PM   #6
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. I would bet they're the same part number even.

But why not just put your phone with the screen facing down? That will prevent it from charging.

It'll get warm anyway because of CarPlay.
I'll swap them out in a couple weeks when I'm home again. Re: putting it face down, I'll have to test it but it seems to get warm regardless. When it's in the center console charging via usb-c, I can run carplay music & nav for 4 hours and the phone doesn't get warm at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:44 PM   #7
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I'll swap them out in a couple weeks when I'm home again. Re: putting it face down, I'll have to test it but it seems to get warm regardless. When it's in the center console charging via usb-c, I can run carplay music & nav for 4 hours and the phone doesn't get warm at all.
Cool let us know.
RE: warming up, the phone gets warm when it’s using Nav right, so it does that no matter what. CarPlay just makes that happen. If you charge it via cable the phone shuts down too, because it overheats.

What happens when you plug it in under the armrest is that the temperature in the compartment varies more with the AC setting you have on.

For example: I had my rear climate control set to max heat one day (drying wet shoes in the back floor, don’t ask) and my phone died in the compartment in a matter of minutes. Alternatively setting the AC to max for the back turned the centre console very cold, and the phone was happy.

With the tray behind the shifter, the temperature for the front rows affects it more. And if you close the lid, it gets worse. I don’t have the charger there (manual) and my phone dies in there if I close the lid.

Experiment with temperature settings too if you have issues. But putting your phone face down won’t make it charge so it’ll essentially be like leaving it in a non-charging pad. Same results you’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 05:39 PM   #8
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

I'll mess around with it. With my 330e (same set up) I would set the phone on the tray plugged into the front usb port. No issues with getting warm after hours of carplay and nav. I drive the same 3.5-4 hour drive back & forth every weekend.

I keep the cabin set at 74 regardless of season. I typically don't have anything going to the rear as nobody sits back there.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-19-2024, 06:52 PM   #9
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I'll mess around with it. With my 330e (same set up) I would set the phone on the tray plugged into the front usb port. No issues with getting warm after hours of carplay and nav. I drive the same 3.5-4 hour drive back & forth every weekend.

I keep the cabin set at 74 regardless of season. I typically don't have anything going to the rear as nobody sits back there.
I also think your car doesn’t have climate controls in the rear, right? That might have been a good thing to try to test as the rear climate affects the console temperature (for better or worse).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
I also think your car doesn’t have climate controls in the rear, right? That might have been a good thing to try to test as the rear climate affects the console temperature (for better or worse).
The M2? It has rear climate controls, which I currently have off, I believe. Or they're set to the same as the front but fan speed is off/low.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-20-2024, 11:54 AM   #11
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
The M2? It has rear climate controls, which I currently have off, I believe. Or they're set to the same as the front but fan speed is off/low.
Cool! Then you can play around with the controls to see if you can get it cooler in the compartment

I thought you had a 24, that’s why I thought yours didn’t have the controls. It’s a shame they removed it, but understandable (more a sense of loss; if they hadn’t put it in and then removed it, it’d be no big deal).
Appreciate 1
JABCAT2251.50
      03-23-2024, 11:30 PM   #12
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Curious if the keyless entry and or wireless charging will work.
Appreciate 0