home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

12-13-2023, 09:33 AM   #1
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Issue with universal garage door opener

Tried programming the universal garage door opener to my garages and my driveway gate yesterday. I successfully programmed my 330e and X3MC, but didn't have much luck with the M2. Got the green light that indicates programming was successful, but then it would only close my garage door, not open, and it would open my driveway gate but not close it?

I reset the buttons and reprogrammed multiple times with the same results each time. Any thoughts?

Garage door openers: Genie w/Intellicode installed 2017
Driveway gate opener: Mighty Mule

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:32 PM   #2
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

You probably have a rolling code. Look up "garage" in there I drive manual, you'll need to use different instructions. Try using buttons 1 and 3 for door and gate vs 1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaidapos View Post
You probably have a rolling code. Look up "garage" in there I drive manual, you'll need to use different instructions. Try using buttons 1 and 3 for door and gate vs 1 and 2.
I followed the instructions for rolling code, just like I did in the other two BMWs and those work as they should. I need to use all 3 buttons (2 garage doors & 1 gate). I'll mess around with it again tomorrow & see if I can get it to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep

Dumb question, do you have too many remotes linked? Some of them have a limit.
Appreciate 1
Baller145.50
      12-14-2023, 05:18 AM   #5
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
I just went out to the garage to test this, and I had the same problem, I had to hold the buttons longer to re-program them, way longer than the green light stays on for.
After shutting my car off I lost all the programing, so I did it again and only one decided to work.
After trying 2 more times I got it to work and stay working but you have to hold the Homelink button on the mirror and the door remote at the same time for quite a while for it to take and store.
I also reset the Homelink by holding the two outer buttons, 1 and 3, on the mirror to reset the programing before trying again each time again, maybe that helped too?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

My problem was not getting it to work but the range. I have to practically be in the driveway. My wife's Santa Fe works from the middle of the block.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
My problem was not getting it to work but the range. I have to practically be in the driveway. My wife's Santa Fe works from the middle of the block.
I found the range on our M2 garage door opener is very good, typically about 100 to 150m compared with 50 to 100m for our Macan. By the time I drive on to the driveway, the door is open.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:35 PM   #8
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I found the range on our M2 garage door opener is very good, typically about 100 to 150m compared with 50 to 100m for our Macan. By the time I drive on to the driveway, the door is open.
Maybe its the air in Canada!
Appreciate 1
Baller145.50
      12-14-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

I have a Mighty Mule gate opener and a Genie garage door opener. On both of my BMW's I have no problem opening the gate (as long as I am close) and I can always close the garage but opening the garage only works 1/2 of the time. Frustrating.
Baller145.50
      12-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Dumb question, do you have too many remotes linked? Some of them have a limit.
Not that I'm aware. I cleared the programming on my last BMW before trading it in. I've gone through the clearing all buttons and reprogramming the buttons multiple times now. Each time I get the green light indicating programming was successful (per the manual), but it still only closes the garage doors and opens the gate (I have to hold very long before it works) but doesn't open the garage or close the gate
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:32 PM   #11
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Not that I'm aware. I cleared the programming on my last BMW before trading it in. I've gone through the clearing all buttons and reprogramming the buttons multiple times now. Each time I get the green light indicating programming was successful (per the manual), but it still only closes the garage doors and opens the gate (I have to hold very long before it works) but doesn't open the garage or close the gate
This might be annoying but worth a try? Can you try to program a friend's garage door to see if you get the same results? There's either major interference at your garage and the BMW doesn't like it, or they're simply not as compatible. Just a bit of deductive reasoning here.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:48 PM   #12
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
This might be annoying but worth a try? Can you try to program a friend's garage door to see if you get the same results? There's either major interference at your garage and the BMW doesn't like it, or they're simply not as compatible. Just a bit of deductive reasoning here.
It's just odd that my other two BMWs and my other vehicles have no issues with the garages or gate. I'm going to play with it some more.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:16 PM   #13
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

I got both garage doors and the gate programmed today, and the mirror buttons appear to be working consistently. What I had to do was follow both the non-rolling code and rolling code instructions from the manual in sequence.

I reset all buttons, hit button 1 - slow blinking orange. Held remote up to the mirror and held the button down until I got fast green blinking. Then my son hit the program button on the garage door opener and waited for it to start flashing purple. I then held the mirror button down for 3 second & repeated 3x until it operated my garage door.

Repeated these steps for my second door & it works the same. With the mighty mule gate I hit the mirror button - slow flashing orange. Then held the remote up to the mirror and pressed the button. The mirror immediately turned solid green.

The mirror button will open/close the gate but will not operate the gate if pressed again immediately. It takes 3-4 more attempts or waiting at least 1 minute before it will operate the gate again. That's a little frustrating as I generally open it as I'm pulling up to it then immediately close it when I drive through. The Homelink transmitter in my Z06 allows me to do this, and also in my wife's '22 X3MC.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00