BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

11-16-2023, 05:08 PM   #1
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Is There A More Complete Fuse Use Listing?

To my knowledge there isn't a fuse diagram included in the manual. You have to go online and access a file that has these images of the fuse boxes and what seems to be maybe a somewhat limited reference of what those fuses are used for.

Does anyone happen to have a more complete list? I think I have more fuses than they reflect being in use.

My goal here is to find a nonessential switched fuse that's at least 20 amps. I'm running a Boch relay to provide charging current to a dashcam battery pack. The whole idea is to take the load off the vehicle's battery. I tried the rear windshield defroster, but I think it only passes power when turned on.

Now I'm wondering if I flipped the orientation of the fuse tap if that would do the trick. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a more complete list.

Appreciate 1
Baller145.50
      11-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I tried F273 and it works. So, I'm good. I think that's a symbol for a charging port. That's the symbol of A/C to D/C chargers. Not sure, but I hope it's not as essential as the transmission, steering, etc. Just in case whatever might happen happens with a tap in fuse.

All of these switchable power sources are tricky since the car doesn't really turn off fully for up to like 10 minutes. Makes finding a source a little more of a hassle. I think I'm set now though.
Appreciate 1
Baller145.50
      01-16-2024, 12:05 PM   #3
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

bumping this - a more detailed fuse diagram would be huge here. has anyone had any luck w/ service manuals that have this detail?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:25 AM   #4
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Which wiring diagram are you looking for? The wiring diagrams are split into sections its hard to find a complete wiring diagram.
You can look for an empty slot, wire the power and fuse the fuse in it. The central locking, alarm, telematics modules should have constant power.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:24 AM   #5
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Which wiring diagram are you looking for? The wiring diagrams are split into sections its hard to find a complete wiring diagram.
You can look for an empty slot, wire the power and fuse the fuse in it. The central locking, alarm, telematics modules should have constant power.
273 worked. I think that's maybe a charging port? Not sure. I was wanting something nonessential in the event it somehow blew the primary fuse. I used a tap that passes the original fused accessory separately from the fused add on, but who knows what could happen.

Thanks. It did seem like I noticed fuses that weren't labeled in that diagram that left me wondering, but honestly, I may be mistaken entirely. You may know more than I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:50 PM   #6
G87Mark
Modaholic
Rep
Drives: ’24 MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
Now I'm wondering if I flipped the orientation of the fuse tap if that would do the trick.
To properly install a fuse tap you need to know which pin of the original fuse has the +12v supply, and which is the 'outlet' of the fuse. If you install/flip the fuse tap 180* from the proper orientation, then the added fuse will be a load on the original fuse. The new fuse ends up being wired in series after the original fuse (backwards) instead of them being in parallel (correct) to the 12v supply.

Easiest way to check for proper orientation.... If fuse tap is already installed, pull the original fuse out. If your added circuit is still powered then it's installed properly. If you pull the original fuse and your added circuit is dead, then it's backwards.

I just hard wired my radar to fuse 46 in the passenger footwell, I'm pretty sure 46 is the cigarette plug at the cup holders. I didn't even check to see if I put the tap in properly because I'm not worried about the 2a fuse I added overloading the installed 20a fuse that I'll probably never use. However, if you're adding a 15-20a load on an original fuse that already has 15a on it, then it has to be installed properly or the original 20a fuse will pop.

Prior rides:
‘99 T/A, ‘01 Vette, ‘07 Vette, ‘12 GS CE Vette, ‘16 Vette (R.I.P.), ‘18 1LE Camaro, ‘17 GS vert Vette
Appreciate 1
Fastfwd210.00