E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52 - injector replaced, long cold start crank

10-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
Jai
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 BMW 330i N52

N52 - injector replaced, long cold start crank

Hey All,

My car always started right up but I think I had leaking injectors as after starting up the car in the morning and driving in reverse out of my driveway we always smell gasoline. My wife hates it

I think the injectors were leaking for a long time and causing this, so I decided as the car has done 165625miles/265000KM I'd finally sort the injectors out and not get it hydrolocked or something.

I found a relatively cheap set of new original deka-siemens injectors on ebay and had them shipped out. They were advertised as brand new and when arrived here they did look new, original, clean and the part numbers etc. looked very bright and new as well.

I installed the new injectors myself and when I turned on the car it had a long crank but then started, this seems normal to me for the first start after replacement. It didn't run very good but OKAY. I did a test run anyway which actually went fairly well I would say.

After coming home and waiting for a few hours I started it back up and it would do a long crank and start up and run okay, a bit rought at first but then OK.

Then I realized it had probably been running rich for a long time and had its long term fuel trims adapted to the leaking injectors?

I reset all adaptions via INPA and now the car runs super smooth again. Took it to the office today and all was perfect.

Except...... the cold start in the morning, it now cranks about 2 seconds and then fires up. After that it runs perfectly.

No codes at all.

Leave it overnight: 2 seconds long crank then fires up and runs perfectly.
Leave it 8 hours at work: 2 seconds long crank then fires up and runs perfectly.
After driving back home, engine hot, leave it for 1.5 hour while eating: starts up instantly
Shut hot engine off, start again: starts up instantly

Any idea what this might cause?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Hey All,

My car always started right up but I think I had leaking injectors as after starting up the car in the morning and driving in reverse out of my driveway we always smell gasoline. My wife hates it

I think the injectors were leaking for a long time and causing this, so I decided as the car has done 165625miles/265000KM I'd finally sort the injectors out and not get it hydrolocked or something.

I found a relatively cheap set of new original deka-siemens injectors on ebay and had them shipped out. They were advertised as brand new and when arrived here they did look new, original, clean and the part numbers etc. looked very bright and new as well.

I installed the new injectors myself and when I turned on the car it had a long crank but then started, this seems normal to me for the first start after replacement. It didn't run very good but OKAY. I did a test run anyway which actually went fairly well I would say.

After coming home and waiting for a few hours I started it back up and it would do a long crank and start up and run okay, a bit rought at first but then OK.

Then I realized it had probably been running rich for a long time and had its long term fuel trims adapted to the leaking injectors?

I reset all adaptions via INPA and now the car runs super smooth again. Took it to the office today and all was perfect.

Except...... the cold start in the morning, it now cranks about 2 seconds and then fires up. After that it runs perfectly.

No codes at all.

Leave it 8 hours at work: 2 seconds long crank then fires up and runs perfectly.
After driving back home, engine hot, leave it for 1.5 hour while eating: starts up instantly

Sounds like symptoms of a faulty fuel pressure regulator but it could be numerous things. There's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you can connect to that and measure the fuel pressure to see what's going on.
Appreciate 1
Jai9.50
      10-12-2023, 02:57 AM   #3
Jai
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Sounds like symptoms of a faulty fuel pressure regulator but it could be numerous things. There's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you can connect to that and measure the fuel pressure to see what's going on.
Hmm very interesting and I think you might be correct here. I will try to check the pressure tonight, I do have such a kit.

Something I forgot to add is, after I replaced the injectors, I forgot to connect the fuel hose to the fuel rail, which I know is very dangerous. But okay it happened.
When I opened the driver door I think the fuel pump primed and the fuel hose sprayed fuel for like 1 or 2 seconds before stopping. Could this have broken the FPR? As before the change the car started right up.

I read online that the fuel pressure should be: 5 bar (72.5 psi) ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 10:30 AM   #4
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I’d 2nd the Fpr as likely problem. It’s under rear seat on driver side so when they crack and leak it may cause smells. I just did mine and not too hard, good diys on it here. I forget pressure but main check is that the pressure stays high for something like 5 min and doesn’t immediately bleed down. I googled and found some info. It’s also easy to pop up rear seat and 3 nuts to visually see if top of FPR is wet with fuel.
Appreciate 1
Jai9.50
      10-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Hey All,

No codes at all.

Slightly off topic but if your injectors were leaking for a long time and diluting your oil change your oil as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #6
Jai
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino56 View Post
I’d 2nd the Fpr as likely problem. It’s under rear seat on driver side so when they crack and leak it may cause smells. I just did mine and not too hard, good diys on it here. I forget pressure but main check is that the pressure stays high for something like 5 min and doesn’t immediately bleed down. I googled and found some info. It’s also easy to pop up rear seat and 3 nuts to visually see if top of FPR is wet with fuel.
Will try to do so as quickly as possible, thanks for the tips!

Had to order a new fuel pressure testing kit as my current cheap one actually didn't have a proper adapter for the BMW fuel rail schrader valve.

I expect to get that Tuesday so will do some testing then.

My wife kept driving it and now the car is in our drive and won't run, it cranks, starts to fire and immediately dies. Probably the FPR completely dieing. Happy it didn't die after her grocery shopping in town :P I told her to drive the E55 Wagon but she likes the BMW more

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of sick so maybe if I'm better tomorrow I'll try and inspect the FPR like you are saying and update.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #7
Jai
Private
Netherlands
Rep

I finally managed to get the car starting just priming it a few times and now it does start and keep running, so I have been able to get it in my garage luckily.

Today I got my fuel pressure testing kit in finally and was able to do some testing:

After standing a night, engine cold:
- With ignition on (waited about 20 second): 10psi
- After starting (it does start after cranking 1.5/2 seconds: 70psi
- Turning off engine it falls to: 62psi
- 30 mins later: 54psi
- 60 mins later: 52psi
- 90 mins later: 51psi
- 120 mins later: 50psi
- Several hours later: 44psi

Then a few hours later I used the button on the kit to depressurize and drip off some of the fuel so that the reading was back to 0.
Then I started the car and it actually still started up rather quick and is now showing 52psi while running.

To me it seems strange I'm reading 70psi one time with engine running and few hours later I'm reading 52psi. Can this be because of the FPR or rather fuel pump?
Is there a way to test this?
Also, when I open up the drivers rear where the FPR is, do I look for something? Fuel smell I guess, cracks?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 10:52 AM   #8
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep

It seems the fuel pressure is staying up ok but I don’t know the actual specs. My fuel pressure bled down quickly. You could watch it fall and was a zero within about 5 min or so.
First is a pic of my FPR under rear seat driver side.
2nd is pic of the fuel pump under rear seat passenger side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:09 AM   #9
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep

I meant to add that even with fuel sitting on top of my FPR I never smelled anything in the cabin. I guess it was sealed well enough.
Odors do come in from engine bay.
Unless there was a fuel leak in engine bay somewhere (which would seem to be something you could see) it seems hard that fuel smells would get into the cabin.
Oil leaking from manifold gasket onto the exhaust can smell and get into the cabin. Perhaps something to check in search of “fuel like” smells. Perhaps you the smell and starting problem are independent.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
Jai
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Wanted to give an update on this:

1. The injectors I bought were counterfeit it turns out dammit :|
2. I tested for leaks on the old injectors. Basically started the engine, shut it down and while it still had pressure on the fuel rail I grabbed the whole rail out. No leaks at all.
3. I ordered new o-rings (elring) and replaced those on the old injectors
4. I ordered a FPR/filter and replaced that.
On the old FPR I couldn't see any fuel leaks or cracks.

Car is now keeping pressure and long crank is gone.
Also no more fuel smell, I think that was actually the o-rings.

Happy it's solved. Thanks for all your help people.
Appreciate 0