home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

09-27-2023, 07:46 PM   #1
stashstein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX5

parking sensor sounds

Ok this is a really dumb question, but what is the difference between the different sounds you get via the parking sensors?

I usually hear short duration "beeps" that increase as I get closer to something. This makes complete sense and is like basically every other car. Occasionally though, usually when backing out of my garage, I'll hear a longer "bong" sound at the same time as the normal sounds. This is the one that I have no clue about.

Anyone know what I'm on about and know what it means?
Appreciate 1
KevM2723.50
      09-27-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=stashstein;30525262]Ok this is a really dumb question, but what is the difference between the different sounds you get via the parking sensors?

I usually hear short duration "beeps" that increase as I get closer to something. This makes complete sense and is like basically every other car. Occasionally though, usually when backing out of my garage, I'll hear a longer "bong" sound at the same time as the normal sounds. This is the one that I have no clue about.

Anyone know what I'm on about and know what it means?

I’m also equally confused about this lol
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 03:27 AM   #3
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

It may be the detection of things at the side. I've got the surround cameras so it may be different if you haven't but in normal driving at low speed you can turn the cameras on by pressing the "P" button (the next one up from the Auto Start button). If you do this then when you drive past an obstacle at the side like a parked car at the kerb then it makes a different "bong" to the front and rear "beep". If you're backing out of a garage then it could be this reacting to the garage door frame or other close by side obstacles on your drive.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim

Last edited by dy444; 09-28-2023 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 04:53 AM   #4
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy444 View Post
It may the detection of things at the side. I've got the surround cameras so it may be different if you haven't but in normal driving at low speed you can turn the cameras on by pressing the "P" button (the next one up from the Auto Start button). If you do this then when you drive past an obstacle at the side like a parked car at the kerb then it makes a different "bong" to the front and rear "beep". If you're backing out of a garage then it could be this reacting to the garage door frame or other close by side obstacles on your drive.

The G42 M240 has 360 cameras...unfortunately, the G87 does not (only rear).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
stashstein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX5

That was my original thought since I think it has parking sensors on the sides, even though no cameras.

Thanks everyone 😀I was hoping it wasn't an alert for rear collision or something. I have bad memories of my s4 slamming on the brakes for no reason sometimesbecause it thought I was going to hit something in a parking lot.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashstein View Post
That was my original thought since I think it has parking sensors on the sides, even though no cameras.

Thanks everyone 😀I was hoping it wasn't an alert for rear collision or something. I have bad memories of my s4 slamming on the brakes for no reason sometimesbecause it thought I was going to hit something in a parking lot.

My B9 S5 did that lockup crap when I was in reverse at times, too. Usually backing out of my driveway when the phantom object appeared (the wind, a leaf from a tree?). Didn't happen often but when it did, I hated it (it would freak the wife out). Her one model year newer S3 never did it.
Appreciate 1