07-24-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

My M2 Performance Center Delivery experience after a 469 day wait

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Well well well... this has been a long time coming. Last April me and my then-fiance (now wife) decided to put a deposit down on a next generation M2. With the only caveat being that it had to be a manual.

469 days later we picked it up from the Performance Center in South Carolina. I could write an essay about the time between putting the money down and getting the keys to the car but suffice it to say, Dealers suck, living through a controversial car reveal when you have a deposit down is not something I want to relive, and I'm so glad that weird limbo period is finally over.

With all that said onto the actual experience. We flew down on Saturday to meet up with my Brother who lives in the area, my Delta credit card + status finally paid off and we got a double first class upgrade for the couple hour flight from Boston to Charlotte, NC. We spend the weekend exploring Greenville (Biscuit Head is fantastic and Unity Park is a great area with lots of food and drink options). The whole time me and my wife were anxiously awaiting the Monday delivery.

The hotel experience (Greenville Marriott) was charming, if a little dated. All the hotel staff congratulate you on the BMW experience and they give you a BMW branded meal in the hotel restaurant, which was fine. Nothing special but due to how far the hotel is from the city center it's nice to not have to leave the hotel the night before. In the morning you get together with a group of 7 other couples for the shuttle ride over to the performance center.

Once you arrive you are given a brief classroom overview of driving tips and an overview of the day as well as a sales pitch on BMW safety and performance tech. Then you go out onto the track and get matched the the closest analogue they have in their performance fleet to what you are getting. We were the first people to drive their G87 M2, a white auto with carbon trim and roof (though no buckets, rather the blue stitching black seats). Interestingly it only had 300 miles, so safe to say the break in period isn't exactly being respected on some of their cars.

The driving experience was lots of fun, we went on a short road track for probably around 10 minutes per driver, maybe a bit less. It's crazy how brutishly fast and nimble the m2 feels in that environment. Then we did a skid pad in a m340i with the instructor where you get to try it with traction on and off. A cool experience and insane to feel the difference it makes. Finally you do a braking test at various speeds, which was probably the least interesting thing to me, but still good to get a sense for the real stopping distance at various speeds.

Then we did a ride-along in a m3 with a driving instructor. That was truly eye opening on what a professional driver can do at 10/10ths around a track. I was in the back seat and that probably made it feel even more insane. Honestly that was probably the highlight of the experience for me.

Next we hopped in X5's (we got the only X5 m50, the rest where 40i's) and went across the street to the little museum they have. It was a cool experience to drive a model I haven't gotten the chance to yet, though amusingly it had a CEL on. Finally we took these same X5's through the off-roading course, it was fun to do some light water-fording and try some exaggerated scenarios to balance the car on 2 wheels.

We then went back to the performance center to get lunch. It was actually delicious, quite a bit better than the hotel dinner. Unfortunately I was much too anxious to eat much. We sat around for a while and then walked over to the gift shop. Which was actually located right next to the main lobby which was where our new M2 was displayed. We were immediately diverted to just staring at it. I can say without a doubt that it looks incredible in person (at least to me) and we got so many compliments from all the other people who were picking cars up (mostly x7, x5 an i4 and a 430i). One guy who was getting an x7 and had some weekend cars (didn't get a chance to ask what he had) mentioned he wasn't sure about it from online pictures but really liked how it looked in person.

We had an awesome genius walk us through all the features on the car, which normally I like to do myself but since I didn't have to worry about any of the actual paperwork it was nice to have someone explain every button and switch. We were actually purchasing the car under my wife's name, since the previous gen m2 was always her dream car. I give them a lot of credit for not talking down to her or directing information to me instead of her. Something that you see a lot in the car industry and can get quite tiring for woman who are also car enthusiasts.

Finally we got the keys to the car and hit the road, my god this car is a beast, both sound and performance were delightful and it feels so planted and accurate in handling. I'm going to another writeup of our actual road trip back as this is already long enough but suffice it to say it was lots of fun.

Photos:
View post on imgur.com
'17 Macan GTS + '23 M2 (MT)
Appreciate 38
rons e921397.00
M2-Bob242.00
Tag18150.50
cmgbk752631.50
T_U_D6679.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
ando2000.50
///M TOWN16539.00
Edwardsc1251.00
xraymd308.50
wtwo317971.00
CamasM3e933162.50
drexplode1784.50
2011ninja3396.00
2srsman68.00
T0RM3NT3640.50
pateke198.00
jpf3409.00
lithe31.00
Mark6731.00
      07-24-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
RemoWilliams84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2

I'm still debating on whether or not to do this for a couple reasons:
1) I've done the AMG driving experience and I think it's a lot more in depth. It's a 1/2 day of lead follow on a track as well as a 1/2 day of skid pad/autocross/ etc. I feel like the BMW experience may be a little underwhelming after that, though probably still fun.
2) I have a trade in to make. Not sure how that will work. Do I turn it in to the dealer 10 days early or drive it to the Performance Center and trade it there?
Appreciate 2
chrisk03153.00
      07-24-2023, 02:11 PM   #3
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
1) I've done the AMG driving experience and I think it's a lot more in depth. It's a 1/2 day of lead follow on a track as well as a 1/2 day of skid pad/autocross/ etc. I feel like the BMW experience may be a little underwhelming after that, though probably still fun.
2) I have a trade in to make. Not sure how that will work. Do I turn it in to the dealer 10 days early or drive it to the Performance Center and trade it there?
Definitely a shorter experience than the AMG sounds like, probably just over an hour and half of actually driving at speed. Though for a free experience I would definitely do it again if I ever got another new BMW, it was a fun experience and made it feel like more of an occasion.

I would imagine for trade in you would trade it in when the paperwork is completed, which was a bit over a week prior to the delivery date. We didn't do a trade in so it was easy enough.
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
RemoWilliams84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSlinger View Post
Definitely a shorter experience than the AMG sounds like, probably just over an hour and half of actually driving at speed. Though for a free experience I would definitely do it again if I ever got another new BMW, it was a fun experience and made it feel like more of an occasion.

I would imagine for trade in you would trade it in when the paperwork is completed, which was a bit over a week prior to the delivery date. We didn't do a trade in so it was easy enough.
I may still try to do it. My wife didn't get to go to the AMG thing, so she would probably enjoy it. Make a weekend trip out of it.
Appreciate 1
Sorai21.00
      07-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Well well well... this has been a long time coming. Last April me and my then-fiance (now wife) decided to put a deposit down on a next generation M2. With the only caveat being that it had to be a manual.

469 days later we picked it up from the Performance Center in South Carolina. I could write an essay about the time between putting the money down and getting the keys to the car but suffice it to say, Dealers suck, living through a controversial car reveal when you have a deposit down is not something I want to relive, and I'm so glad that weird limbo period is finally over.

With all that said onto the actual experience. We flew down on Saturday to meet up with my Brother who lives in the area, my Delta credit card + status finally paid off and we got a double first class upgrade for the couple hour flight from Boston to Charlotte, NC. We spend the weekend exploring Greenville (Biscuit Head is fantastic and Unity Park is a great area with lots of food and drink options). The whole time me and my wife were anxiously awaiting the Monday delivery.

The hotel experience (Greenville Marriott) was charming, if a little dated. All the hotel staff congratulate you on the BMW experience and they give you a BMW branded meal in the hotel restaurant, which was fine. Nothing special but due to how far the hotel is from the city center it's nice to not have to leave the hotel the night before. In the morning you get together with a group of 7 other couples for the shuttle ride over to the performance center.

Once you arrive you are given a brief classroom [...]
Great taste in cars and airlines. Nice write up. The staff at the Marriott Greenville is the best part. Was Tammy the British bartender there? She’s quick with the sarcasm, love her.

It’s cool you got to drive over to the Museum as part of the Delivery experience, that’s new to me. Did you do the Factory tour?

Load up at the Gift Shop?

Tell your wife congrats as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:

Other than the actual delivery experience via PCD you are just receiving a sampling of what the PC has to offer. If you want the full effect then attend a one or two day M school.

The Performance Center is not affiliated with your selling BMW center as BMW Centers are independently owned/operated. Therefore, your trade will have to be relinquished to the selling dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgbk75 View Post
That is exactly what I do when I am there, but during my most recent trip to the PC at the end of June the vast majority of items for sale were BMW Motorrad related. I was somewhat disappointed and left with nothing.

Last edited by T_U_D; 07-24-2023 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      07-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #7
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Congratulations!!
      07-24-2023, 06:24 PM   #8
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgbk75 View Post
Great taste in cars and airlines. Nice write up. The staff at the Marriott Greenville is the best part. Was Tammy the British bartender there? She’s quick with the sarcasm, love her.

It’s cool you got to drive over to the Museum as part of the Delivery experience, that’s new to me. Did you do the Factory tour?

Tell your wife congrats as well.
I didn't see a female bartender at the marriott though I did have 4 drink tickets for one night since we got 2 extra for the night we stayed before and my wife doesn't drink, so that was a good time.

The museum tour was a substitute for the factory tour since that's under construction for at least the next few months. We got some solid gift shop stuff, my wife gor a hat and I got a badass white bmw stein to add to my drinking arsenal.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #9
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Performance Center Delivery (PCD) is completely different from the driving experiences, of which BMW has multiple options that cost money and allow you to spend multiple hours on track. PCD is free.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      07-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #10
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

So the Marriot, it’s far from town?

First night (night before) is free, correct?
You stayed in same hotel on subsequent nights? And if not, where did you put your bags when you went to the Performance Center?

I ask because we’re heading to Greenville (hopefully) next month, and I was thinking we’d move hotels the next night/s.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:26 AM   #11
bcjbmwm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Thanks for the write up. I have pcd planned for my m3 that’s in route. The ship it’s on should get to Charleston tomorrow.

What was the timeframe for everything? From when it got to the port when did you find out your pcd date, and how far in the future was it?

Thanks
      07-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #12
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
So the Marriot, it’s far from town?

First night (night before) is free, correct?
You stayed in same hotel on subsequent nights? And if not, where did you put your bags when you went to the Performance Center?

I ask because we’re heading to Greenville (hopefully) next month, and I was thinking we’d move hotels the next night/s.
Yeah, the Greenville Marriott is about 10 miles outside the city center. It's really quite close to both the Airport and the BMW Factory (and shares a driveway with Michellin's NA HQ). Really not a bad Uber trip but staying downtown would be better for exploring the nice city center.

We actually stayed in the Marriott for Saturday night (on our dime, was about $150) and Sunday night (free night before the delivery, includes the dinner and drink tickets).

I had a similar question about bags, it's easy enough though. You just bring them with you on the shuttle and they tuck them in a locked storage room at the performance center. So switching hotels would be trivial.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #13
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjbmwm3 View Post
Thanks for the write up. I have pcd planned for my m3 that’s in route. The ship it’s on should get to Charleston tomorrow.

What was the timeframe for everything? From when it got to the port when did you find out your pcd date, and how far in the future was it?

Thanks
I have my whole timeframe in this thread (2nd post)

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012133

But TLDR, it got to the port on 6/9/23 and I was offered the 7/17 as a pickup date on 6/12. From what I've seen that's a pretty long lead time, normally it seems to be a bit shorter.
Appreciate 1
bcjbmwm3340.00
      07-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #14
PipeM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS 500, 2024 M3 comp RWD

Great write up! 💪🏻. How manny miles you drove back home?
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #15
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Great to know, thanks. We’re staying extra days as we’ll be getting the entire front of the car PPF’d.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 08:39 AM   #16
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeM3 View Post
Great write up! 💪🏻. How manny miles you drove back home?
Pulled into my driveway with just over 1550 miles, I'll do another writeup sometime soon on the road trip back. I immediately went to the dealer and got the break in service done, it's lovely being able to take it to redline now.
Appreciate 1
PipeM3196.00
      07-25-2023, 08:46 AM   #17
Edwardsc1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=CodeSlinger;30335705]
Next we hopped in X5's (we got the only X5 m50, the rest where 40i's) and went across the street to the little museum they have. It was a cool experience to drive a model I haven't gotten the chance to yet, though amusingly it had a CEL on. Finally we took these same X5's through the off-roading course, it was fun to do some light water-fording and try some exaggerated scenarios to balance the car on 2 wheels.

This stuck out to me because I did the X5 run at the Performance Center a few months ago and also got the only M50i. It had a CEL on as well

Enjoy your new M2! I'm sure it'll be a blast.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:53 AM   #18
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardsc1 View Post
This stuck out to me because I did the X5 run at the Performance Center a few months ago and also got the only M50i. It had a CEL on as well

Enjoy your new M2! I'm sure it'll be a blast.
Was it dark blue with the dark brown interior? I'm assuming it was the same one.

I really wouldn't want to buy one of their fleet pre-owned, I know they say they are well maintained but holy hell do they seem beat to shit.
Appreciate 1
Edwardsc1251.00
      07-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #19
Edwardsc1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Was it dark blue with the dark brown interior? I'm assuming it was the same one.

I really wouldn't want to buy one of their fleet pre-owned, I know they say they are well maintained but holy hell do they seem beat to shit.
It sure was! And agreed, I'd be worried to own any car that came from the PC. I know I drove them as hard as I could when I went haha
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #20
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Since ED is no longer an option, PCD must be experienced.

Anyone can go to a dealer and get their car but the road trip home from NC (Tail of the Dragon, etc) is where it's at.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      07-25-2023, 09:08 AM   #21
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
Since ED is no longer an option, PCD must be experienced.

Anyone can go to a dealer and get their car but the road trip home from NC (Tail of the Dragon, etc) is where it's at.
Agreed, buying a new car should be an occasion and this is the perfect way to do that. The North Carolina mountains are the perfect way to stretch a new cars legs.

I'm half tempted to replace my CPO Macan with a Volvo in a couple years just to do the Volvo European delivery, but with the switch to electric that might not be an option soon enough as well.
Appreciate 1
G30 B581548.00
      07-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #22
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

That looks awesome!!! And what a fantastic experience to be able to pick it up at the performance center!

That is my build exactly .... TR with Cognac and a 6MT! Someday this will be the combo to have.

Mine finished production on Friday. Now the wait begins!

Are you going to do a HAS upgrade? I'm thinking KWs as soon as it arrives.
Appreciate 3
Luv273.00