bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-16-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Remote Services Update: Remote Engine Start

So, I find myself starting my car well in advance of my departure to have warm oil (and cabin) all the time. I didn't buy the Remote Engine Start option (for $300) when I ordered my car with the dealer, but I went and purchased it recently from the BMW Connected Services Store (seemingly different than other parts). Cost me $350 with tax (is what it is).

All this to say, it will NOT update. It's been preparing to activate for almost a week now...it's just there teasing me that, "yeah, you paid, here it is, but it won't work." Dealer doesn't know what to do. I've clicked all the buttons and updates I can do from the car, but alas, nothing for my money.

Is there a lesser-known trick to software updates...especially one with a purchase service??? (not just an OS update via OTA)

Last edited by Dinosoar; 01-16-2023 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
So, I find myself staring my car well in advance of my departure to have warm oil (and cabin) all the time. I didn't buy the Remote Engine Start option (for $300) when I ordered my car with the dealer, but I went and purchased it recently from the BMW Connected Services Store (seemingly different than other parts). Cost me $350 with tax (is what it is).

All this to say, it will NOT update. It's been preparing to activate for almost a week now...it's just there teasing me that, "yeah, you paid, here it is, but it won't work." Dealer doesn't know what to do. I've clicked all the buttons and updates I can do from the car, but alas, nothing for my money.

Is there a lesser-known trick to software updates...especially one with a purchase service??? (not just an OS update via OTA)
Have you tried resetting the iDrive? Hold the volume button in for 30 seconds. Which ID 7 or 8?
      01-16-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
Have you tried resetting the iDrive? Hold the volume button in for 30 seconds. Which ID 7 or 8?
I just did on your suggestion, but nothing. ID7, by the way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that one in mind!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I just did on your suggestion, but nothing. ID7, by the way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that one in mind!
Ok, try adding the following steps after the ID reset:

In the main menu press “APPS”.

Press the “Option” button next to your iDrive controller.

Then select “Update Apps and Services” on the screen.

Wait until “Data Transfer Successful” is displayed on the screen before clicking “Ok”.
      01-16-2023, 01:30 PM   #5
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, try adding the following steps after the ID reset:

In the main menu press “APPS”.

Press the “Option” button next to your iDrive controller.

Then select “Update Apps and Services” on the screen.

Wait until “Data Transfer Successful” is displayed on the screen before clicking “Ok”.
yep, this one I did, now, countless times, including after ID reset. Nothing.

This may sound like a dumb question, but do I need to drive the car for the software update (just my purchased Engine Start) to download??? My dealer (Service and Sales) said nothing about this, a few videos say nothing about it, but I saw one BMW "how to" that said typically downloads occur during driving.

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yep, this one I did, now, countless times, including after ID reset. Nothing.

This may sound like a dumb question, but do I need to drive the car for the software update (just my purchased Engine Start) to download??? My dealer (Service and Sales) said nothing about this, a few videos say nothing about it, but I saw one BMW "how to" that said typically downloads occur during driving.

Thoughts???
Shouldn’t need to for this sort of update. I suggest you go on to the BMW ConnectedDrive website & find your national contact number for their Customer Services. I had to use them (UK) for a problem I had with my previous car; they did some sort of remote reset that resolved it
      01-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #7
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Yeah, looks like I've exhausted all steps/options. I loathe the fact that I have to go to a Customer Service option, or worse, the dealership for resolution.

Thanks for your help!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #8
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, looks like I've exhausted all steps/options. I loathe the fact that I have to go to a Customer Service option, or worse, the dealership for resolution.

Thanks for your help!!!
I wouldn’t waste your time with the dealer, they tend to know very little about issues like this, and can’t access your ConnectedDrive account
      01-16-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Have you just tried using remote start from the key fob to see if it works?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 03:14 PM   #10
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn’t waste your time with the dealer, they tend to know very little about issues like this, and can’t access your ConnectedDrive account

This would explain the lame replies I've gotten back from the service and sales guys at the dealer...that is, no idea where to direct me.

I drove it once, nothing.

However, I dug some more on the Connected Services page in My BMW and there is a 5-page PDF specifically for customers who buy and use this feature. I'm posting should it become useful for someon else.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RemoteEngineStart.pdf (3.30 MB, 218 views)
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      01-16-2023, 03:18 PM   #11
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Have you just tried using remote start from the key fob to see if it works?
Yep...each time I fussed with the updates. No joy.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #12
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Try logging your car out of and logging back in to Connected Drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #13
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcars View Post
Try logging your car out of and logging back in to Connected Drive.
Did that too...and the run of resets and update toggling. Nothing. All that did was reset some of my settings which was somewhat annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:27 PM   #14
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Turns out, the car "...may need to complete several drives..." if there are technical issues (e.g. low battery, or low temperatures). It's been in the 30s and 40s most of the week, and I've not driven it all week.

Regardless of what will happen, it is a terrible customer process. No one you ask at BMW seems to have any idea. The informational PDF I attached DID NOT come with the purchase, even though they attached a PDF of my receipt. I had to stumble on that myself.

I'd be fine with the delay if this PDF was in my hands up front. Though, there's no telling if my car will get updated this week when I drive it daily; we'll just see. I'm sure it'll be worth it for me as I always start my car to warm the oil, it's just not a good purchasing process.

Thanks for everyone's input! I do love these forums...and YouTube... for these things.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:06 PM   #15
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah, just realised that it seems the download hasn’t completed, so yes, a decent run should complete that. Also, if it has been cold in your part of the world, the battery charge level could be below the threshold for the installation to start. Do you have access to a battery charger?
      01-16-2023, 08:51 PM   #16
mvd_rsti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Garage List
2023 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Unfortunately, it sounds about right. It was a pain in the ass for me as well, took about 2 days for it to be fully downloaded. Once it is, I had to go into the climate control settings and activate it there. The iDrive system then restarted and took about 5-10 mins to finish installing.
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      01-16-2023, 08:59 PM   #17
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah, just realised that it seems the download hasn’t completed, so yes, a decent run should complete that. Also, if it has been cold in your part of the world, the battery charge level could be below the threshold for the installation to start. Do you have access to a battery charger?
I do, but will wait for a sunny day to park it in. I live in Northern Virginia, so yeah, cold it may be, and warmer weather we'll get.

I just wish all this was known at the time of purchase, or when I asked the BMW guy(s). Nope, I had to stumble on it days later buried in my "MY BMW" account. Would have eye rolled it all, but that would've been the end of my griping.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:00 PM   #18
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd_rsti View Post
Unfortunately, it sounds about right. It was a pain in the ass for me as well, took about 2 days for it to be fully downloaded. Once it is, I had to go into the climate control settings and activate it there. The iDrive system then restarted and took about 5-10 mins to finish installing.
At least I know all the tribulations and button presses now!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #19
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Thanks again to you guys. This was actually the most helpful support I've gotten.

FINAL UPDATE: I finally got my update to work (for purchase of the Remote Engine Start feature). Had to drive it three times (15, 30, 30 minutes), over two days. It finally activated the update and asked to start download at home. I did, it works, and all is good in the world. To the points by "hooked" below, and in general, the software update process seems a bit too unpredictable and wonky. I don't mind it as much as the complete lack of support by BMW. There was a PDF on my specific download process on this feature, but not given to me at purchase, and no one at my dealership could help (I hadn't gotten to the Genius at any point, though).

I assume BMW has an "all things software" manual somewhere? That's easy, clear, and not buried in a longer manual? It ain't in my vehicle manual!

I get software, and OTAs, are a huge part of modern car ownership. And as a guy who grew up in the 70s and 80s I ain't asking for that technology, just make this technology easier to use.

Last edited by Dinosoar; 01-17-2023 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 09:25 AM   #20
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

This *might* be related but I was on a longer drive this past weekend (about an hour) and my center screen suddenly went dark while I was on the highway. The other display (speed/tach) stayed on. I don't recall if the HUD was still on as I was distracted and keeping an eye on the center screen wondering why the heck it just "died" and an eye on the road.

About 30-seconds later, the white BMW animation thing ran across the screen and it came back to life. After I stopped, I noticed the firmware was version "11/2022" and I recalled it being "7/2022" previously so I think a firmware update just happened to be completed while I was driving which I didn't know was a thing. In my previous beamers, firmware updates always seemed to happen at start up while not moving, never while driving.

I don't drive my car a lot so there could be something to the "you need to drive the car" to complete firmware updates. As others have speculated it's probably due to the battery being fully charged so it reduces the chance of the update failing mid-stream. I read somewhere else that someone's G42 "bricked" during a firmware update and they had to get it towed to the dealer.

Still a little shocked that a firmware update would complete while the car is moving.
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      01-17-2023, 11:35 AM   #21
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
This *might* be related but I was on a longer drive this past weekend (about an hour) and my center screen suddenly went dark while I was on the highway. The other display (speed/tach) stayed on. I don't recall if the HUD was still on as I was distracted and keeping an eye on the center screen wondering why the heck it just "died" and an eye on the road.

About 30-seconds later, the white BMW animation thing ran across the screen and it came back to life. After I stopped, I noticed the firmware was version "11/2022" and I recalled it being "7/2022" previously so I think a firmware update just happened to be completed while I was driving which I didn't know was a thing. In my previous beamers, firmware updates always seemed to happen at start up while not moving, never while driving.

I don't drive my car a lot so there could be something to the "you need to drive the car" to complete firmware updates. As others have speculated it's probably due to the battery being fully charged so it reduces the chance of the update failing mid-stream. I read somewhere else that someone's G42 "bricked" during a firmware update and they had to get it towed to the dealer.

Still a little shocked that a firmware update would complete while the car is moving.
It shouldn’t! One of many requirements for an OTA firmware update to install is that the car is parked on level ground, engine off & doors locked

https://youtu.be/mME39cwPUHM
      01-17-2023, 01:28 PM   #22
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
It shouldn’t! One of many requirements for an OTA firmware update to install is that the car is parked on level ground, engine off & doors locked
That's the way it was in my previous 2 beamers, hence my surprise. I also never got a notice on the screen or in the my BMW app that an update was even available and one had been installed. I just happened to remember the previous version number and saw that it had changed. I have my car (ID7) set to automatically update whenever one is available if that makes any difference.

I guess it's possible that it updated some other time and I didn't notice it. Then the screen blanking out was a random event/software glitch coincidence? It is the only time that has happened since I took delivery 3 months/2000 miles ago. Weird.
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50