E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LCI to PRE-LCI(Halogen) Headlight Conversion

11-11-2022, 06:10 AM   #1
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

LCI to PRE-LCI(Halogen) Headlight Conversion

So there's a ton of info online how to get upgraded headlights for Pre-LCI cars. However what I'm trying to accomplish is kinda the opposite. There are some nice headlights on eBay that I am interested in buying however they claim they only work for Halogen models only. I'm seeking a harness that will allow me to connect halogen only headlights to a LCI E90 . Below are the headlights I wish to install on my LCI 2009 E90. I would greatly appreciate if any help towards achieving this goal. Wondering if anyone has this setup or has seen a harness/adapter to plug n play.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31417672185...#38;media=COPY
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The lights should plug in and work seeing as it’s halogen to halogen.
Some coding might be required. But should work.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Those look ok. I'd also think about these. I've seen them in person and the look great. I would use some 3m clear coat wipes to add a layer of protection with aftermarket.
https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Proje...e6d374b3&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
The lights should plug in and work seeing as it’s halogen to halogen.
Some coding might be required. But should work.
My car isn't a halogen car it's a Xenon model
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ah305 View Post
Oh. That's a rare desire. Why not put some lux LEDs in and keep the xenon?
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2426.50
      11-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Those look ok. I'd also think about these. I've seen them in person and the look great. I would use some 3m clear coat wipes to add a layer of protection with aftermarket.
https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Proje...74b3&psc=1
But these are for halogen only models right?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #7
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In the reviews it said you can code them for for either. Maybe bimmercode could do it.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Quote:
In the reviews it said you can code them for for either. Maybe bimmercode could do it.
Oh no way, I have Bimmergeeks ProTools. I'm tempted to buying the ones I originally posted and try coding them haha
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Took me a minute but I see what you’re trying to do.

All you want to do is connect these. To confirm, you’re aware that the projectors are halogen right? Sounds like you are but just checking.

Edit: Ignore what I said about the wiring. Appears the halogen-specific wiring for high beams is present even in xenon-optioned cars. (Thanks to Serf27 for pointing this out!)

I’m sure it can be done, but I don’t think this can be solved with an adapter or harness at the lights themselves, unless you’re going to install rebased xenon bulbs into those headlights (oncoming traffic would really prefer you don’t).

The biggest issue I see here is the fact you’re going from a setup where the FRM simply sends a low-current signal up to the headlights (ballast) to turn on, to one where you’ll require much higher current to actually power those halogen bulbs. They appear to terminate at the same pin position at FRM for both halogen and xenon but the wire is over three times as thick in the case of the halogens. I haven’t compared other wires or pinouts in detail.

IMO this isn’t worth it unless you’re able to find a guide on how to avoid running new wire. It isn’t a complex job to run wire but it’s time-consuming enough that I wouldn’t personally install a headlight that required me to do that.

The only potential solution I can think of would be tapping 12V up at the headlights and installing relays to allow the use of the existing wire to turn on the halogen lights. You’ll still have to confirm your current wiring for turn signals etc is sufficiently thick to carry whatever current is required by those aftermarket lights.

Short story—and I’d be happy to be wrong here—is that it’s much more involved than a PnP harness or even just repinning a couple connectors.

Last edited by e90yyc; 11-12-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #10
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Took me a minute but I see what you're trying to do.

All you want to do is connect these. To confirm, you're aware that the projectors are halogen right? Sounds like you are but just checking.

I'm sure it can be done, but I don't think this can be solved with an adapter or harness at the lights themselves.

The biggest issue I see here is the fact you're going from a setup where the FRM simply sends a low-current signal up to the headlights (ballast) to turn on, to one where you'll require much higher current to actually power those halogen bulbs. They appear to terminate at the same pin position at FRM for both halogen and xenon but the wire is over three times as thick in the case of the halogens. I haven't compared other wires or pinouts in detail.

IMO this isn't worth it unless you're able to find a guide on how to avoid running new wire. It isn't a complex job to run wire but it's time-consuming enough that I wouldn't personally install a headlight that required me to do that.

The only potential solution I can think of would be tapping 12V up at the headlights and installing relays to allow the use of the existing wire to turn on the halogen lights. You'll still have to confirm your current wiring for turn signals etc is sufficiently thick to carry whatever current is required by those aftermarket lights.

Short story—and I'd be happy to be wrong here—is that it's much more involved than a PnP harness or even just repinning a couple connectors.

This is the YouTube video I saw to learn about these headlights and I spoke to Carlos335i and he said his headlights were for the lci version and came with a wiring harness the only problem is that the lci kit costs $1,100+ lol and for that I can just go with BayOptics . But yes you're right I want to connect these on my LCI car and from seeing Swap Depot's video. Although the center headlights come with halogens, I can just change with LED Bulbs ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Took me a minute but I see what you're trying to do.

All you want to do is connect these. To confirm, you're aware that the projectors are halogen right? Sounds like you are but just checking.

I'm sure it can be done, but I don't think this can be solved with an adapter or harness at the lights themselves, unless you're going to install rebased xenon bulbs into those headlights (oncoming traffic would really prefer you don't).

The biggest issue I see here is the fact you're going from a setup where the FRM simply sends a low-current signal up to the headlights (ballast) to turn on, to one where you'll require much higher current to actually power those halogen bulbs. They appear to terminate at the same pin position at FRM for both halogen and xenon but the wire is over three times as thick in the case of the halogens. I haven't compared other wires or pinouts in detail.

IMO this isn't worth it unless you're able to find a guide on how to avoid running new wire. It isn't a complex job to run wire but it's time-consuming enough that I wouldn't personally install a headlight that required me to do that.

The only potential solution I can think of would be tapping 12V up at the headlights and installing relays to allow the use of the existing wire to turn on the halogen lights. You'll still have to confirm your current wiring for turn signals etc is sufficiently thick to carry whatever current is required by those aftermarket lights.

Short story—and I'd be happy to be wrong here—is that it's much more involved than a PnP harness or even just repinning a couple connectors.
Speaking of FRM, I have a bunch of FRM codes in my car lol. Might be the reason why my angel eyes aren't working on one side(driver side). Maybe I should be looking into getting the FRM repaired or buying a new one before buying ebay lights .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #12
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

I think both projectors use halogens in the aftermarket unit you posted.

You could just drop LED replacements in, but I can almost guarantee the cutoff will be all fucked and you’ll probably blind other drivers.

Edit: Ignore what I said about the wiring. Appears the halogen-specific wiring for high beams is present even in xenon-optioned cars. (Thanks to Serf27 for pointing this out!)

You’d still have to make sure harness connectors are the same and if not, get a connector and pin it up, confirm wiring is suitable for what you need. While left and right xenon projectors have separate wires from FRM, only one wire is run for the high-beam shutter. So there’s that too.

I still think it’s not really worth it, but that’s assuming you have to change shit and can’t just plug them in. If you can just plug them in and it’s only coding, then that changes things.

I agree that it’s probably best to address the codes you currently have before going and making more work for yourself.

Last edited by e90yyc; 11-12-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #13
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It can be done, but you will have to re code the frm module or disable bi xenon option.
No harness needed. 99% chance it’s just coding and no wire re pins.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #14
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It can be done, but you will have to re code the frm module or disable bi xenon option.
That would be a dream come true 😭
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately it isn’t though—unless there’s something I’m missing.

If you look at FRM pinout and headlight wiring diagrams you’ll see what I mean. Low beam same (other than wire gauge) but high beam different.

Coding halogen will cause the FRM to send PWM signal to a pin that isn’t connected. The xenon high beam shutters receive one signal and it travels to a connector in what appears to be the dash. From there it goes to both headlights. Halogen high beam receives PWM current from one wire per headlight, with each going to one pin on two different connectors. Far from insurmountable, but not pnp.

Last edited by e90yyc; 11-12-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 01:08 AM   #16
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Hmm, I’ve coded xenon to halogen on pre lci.
Lci xenon to pre lci xenon too and they’ve worked.
Haven’t don’t lci xenon to pre lci halogen.
I’m going off experience, so you may be right.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 06:51 AM   #17
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately it isn’t though—unless there’s something I’m missing.

If you look at FRM pinout and headlight wiring diagrams you’ll see what I mean. Low beam same (other than wire gauge) but high beam different.

Coding halogen will cause the FRM to send PWM signal to a pin that isn’t connected. The xenon high beam shutters receive one signal and it travels to a connector in what appears to be the dash. From there it goes to both headlights. Halogen high beam receives PWM current from one wire per headlight, with each going to one pin on two different connectors. Far from insurmountable, but not pnp.
Yeah although I change about anything in my car. Repining wires on something that hasn't been done before or at least not having a step by step guide sounds like a potential headache if it fails. I think the best option would be to find a harness that can get me from LCI Xenon to pre-lci Halogen . But if not I guess my second option that I've been avoiding is buying a new FRM module and then opening my current headlights and trying to re-wire the angel eyes and painting the eye brows.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 10:56 AM   #18
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I’ve only seen wires added when converting halogen to xenon.
See here. A 1 series but the same deal.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1840802

The listing shows free returns.
You could plug the light in without installing it, code the frm and see if they work.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      11-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #19
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only seen wires added when converting halogen to xenon.
See here. A 1 series but the same deal.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1840802

The listing shows free returns.
You could plug the light in without installing it, code the frm and see if they work.
Well shit, haha… So is the implication here that the wires for the halogen high beams are still part of chassis harness for cars with xenon lights?

Just wanting to understand where I’m getting this wrong. I figured the wiring diagrams and pinouts would give the full picture. I assumed—and it sounds like I was wrong here—that wires not needed for a car’s particular options. I see from looking at RealOEM that only certain options change wires (e.g., adaptive headlights) but that otherwise the main harness is the same?

Appreciate your input here. Looks like I’ve got some posts to edit!
      11-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #20
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Wires from xenon are all there on xenon cars. I am guessing when the frm is recoded, it changes what wires receive signal/power.
Whatever wire controls the xenon shutter probably no longer does anything and now power is sent to the inner bulbs for high beams.
The lights linked look to have 5 pins where as the xenon’s have like 8-10 pins
Turn signal wires should be the same in the chassis harness and connects into the light that has it own internal harness.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #21
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Wires from xenon are all there on xenon cars. I am guessing when the frm is recoded, it changes what wires receive signal/power.
Whatever wire controls the xenon shutter probably no longer does anything and now power is sent to the inner bulbs for high beams.
The lights linked look to have 5 pins where as the xenon’s have like 8-10 pins
Turn signal wires should be the same in the chassis harness and connects into the light that has it own internal harness.
Yes, coding dictates which FRM pins are used for sure.

I’m still curious about whether the headlight-side connector needs to be repinned. Unless the wiring diagrams are wrong, the wire gauge for both high and low beam are different. This is one of the things that made me think that the main chassis harness could be different between the xenon and halogen cars (though I now know they aren’t!).
      11-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #22
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I’ve coded xenon to halogen on pre lci.
Lci xenon to pre lci xenon too and they’ve worked.
Haven’t don’t lci xenon to pre lci halogen.
I’m going off experience, so you may be right.
Any idea what I might need to code? I think I'm going to pull the trigger and just test the headlights before installing them. I was playing around with the FRM Coding options in BimmerGeeks ProTools app and I fixed my current headlights. Turns out all I needed to do was reset the short circuit and my angel eyes and working again and most of the FRM codes went away. At least the ones I cared about …
Appreciate 0