E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I need help figuring out 06 330xi problem.

09-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

I need help figuring out 06 330xi problem.

I'm having an issue with the car. We keeps getting the brake, abs and traction control lights coming up on the dash. We monitored the wheel speed sensors when driving and the only on that acts up is the left front. Initially we had a problem with the right front wss and we replaced it. Now we are at a loss. I noticed that the wiper blades go down and pop back up a bit when stopped. It might to have anything to do wit the faults. Here is the faults.

BimmerGeeks ProTool

Date: 09.12.22 01:57 PM

Chassis: E90
Model: 330xi
Engine: N52
Body Style: SEDAN

****************** Errors ******************
--------------------------------------------
FAMILY [VARIANTE] | CODE: DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------

JBBF [JBBF87] | No errors found

DME/DDE [MSV70] | 2A82: VANOS intake

CAS [CAS] | A0B5: Fault, road speed signal

EKP [EKPM60_2] | No errors found

KLIMA [IHKA87] | No errors found

VGSG [VGSG90] | 55C3: AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.
VGSG [VGSG90] | 55C6: Message (wheel speed, 0xCE) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC

FRM [FRM_87] | No errors found

FAS [FAS_PLX] | No errors found

KOMBI [KOMB87] | No errors found

EGS [GS19B] | No errors found

MOSTGW [RAD2_GW] | No errors found

DSC [DXC_90] | 5E51: Wheel speed, plausibility, front right
DSC [DXC_90] | C998: No description found
DSC [DXC_90] | 5E27: Wheel speed, plausibility, front left
DSC [DXC_90] | 5E5A: Wheel speed, general

MRS [MRS5] | No errors found

RADIO [SAT_60] | No errors found

LDM/ICM [LDM_90] | 62D6: interface
LDM/ICM [LDM_90] | D023: Message faulty (wheel circumferential velocity, 0xCE), receiver LDM, transmitter DSC

TEL/MULF [TELE60_2] | No errors found

AMP [AMP_60] | No errors found

VIRTSG92 [] | No errors found

MASK/CCC [RAD2] | No errors found

FZD [FZD_87] | No errors found

Last edited by OG Style; 09-12-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

You replaced the left front WSS but did you inspect the right front one? Was there any physical damage to the left front sensor when you removed it? Or rust on the reluctor ring on the axle? (On xDrive cars, WSS reads from axle for front and wheel bearing for rear.)

I ask because despite the fact you’ve viewed live data and have not noted any irregularities with front right WSS, it appears you have a code for that one. Did you clear error codes after replacing the front left one? If not, then indeed your issue might be something other than the sensor itself.

I’m not a fan of just throwing parts at problems despite being really good at doing that myself ha, but if you inspect the right front sensor and observe physical damage (usually scraping on reluctor ring from rust buildup), then it might be a good idea to replace it or add a washer underneath the bolt that secures it to allow a little extra space between it and the ring.
      09-12-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

We were initially getting a fault for the right front wss. We replaced the sensor and cleared all the codes. The codes came back after driving the car a short distance. The old sensor looked fine. Today the fault for the front left front wss code came up. We checked the sensors and reluctor rings and everything looked good.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Ah I see. Sorry—misread your initial post.

If it wasn’t for the fact the code for the right front was still appearing, I’d say to just swap the two WSSs and see if the code follows the sensor. But in this case, you would need to view live data and see if the abnormal wheel speed readout follows the sensor.

The sensors are all connected to the DSC module, so if you’re able to rule out conclusively the wheel speed sensors and their wiring, I’d be inclined to suspect the DSC module itself.

I had an experience with a bad DSC module myself, and spent untold hours troubleshooting things thinking it couldn’t possibly be the module. Well, it was, and for the $50 or whatever I spent on the replacement, I really wish I had just swapped it out sooner. Not saying that’s your issue for sure, but DSC receives and interprets WSS signals, so it’s a suspect for sure.
      09-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

This is the fault that is really bothering me.

VGSG [VGSG90] | 55C6: Message (wheel speed, 0xCE) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC
Appreciate 0