E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 323i (2011) Struggles during first start - new starter and battery

09-01-2022, 05:06 AM   #1
anazir
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 323i M Sport Package

E90 323i (2011) Struggles during first start - new starter and battery

So a couple of weeks ago, my car wouldn't start so I took it to an indy shop and had to get the starter replaced (they said the battery was in decent shape, I replaced it less than a year ago). Before the non-start, I had symptoms of a bad starter (taking time to start etc).

After the starter change, I drove the car for a week or so, no issues with starting at all - until one day while leaving work, it wouldn't start at all - no clicks nothing. Called a battery service and the battery was absolutely flat. Since it was in the warranty period, they replaced the battery free of cost thankfully.

Even after the starter and battery change, the car takes long to turn over first thing in the morning but starts perfectly throughout the day.

I'm not sure what the issue could be - poor grounding connections? Bad alternator? Failing fuel pump maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this car is starting to stress me out 🥲

Last edited by anazir; 09-01-2022 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Change in title
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Does the engine spew black smoke on the first start? If so it may be leaky injectors.

I would check the ground straps and also measure the voltages before and during the first start on the electrical and starter side.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=14
Appreciate 0