bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-15-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
Cohenour
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240

Software update denied

I had my CF spoiler installed today at the dealership and I asked if they could update IDrive7 to the newest version.

I was told that since my work didn’t involve a computer it would be $375 to hook it up. I politely declined. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #2
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenour View Post
I had my CF spoiler installed today at the dealership and I asked if they could update IDrive7 to the newest version.

I was told that since my work didn’t involve a computer it would be $375 to hook it up. I politely declined. Anyone else experience this?
They're only supposed to do it if there's a good reason, like you brought it in complaining about a software problem. In that case they bill BMW for the warranty. There's no real reason to update it otherwise.

Any feature updates would be rolled out over-the-air and you won't need the dealer at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
bmwman4life11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 s1000rr/ 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Any feature updates would be rolled out over-the-air and you won't need the dealer at all.
except they haven't released a single OTA update yet. I got my car 8 months ago in early November which had the older style dash ( no m240i on the top/ speedometer and rpm is different fonts and sizes) I brought it in for an airbag issue recently and they upgraded the idrive to the newest version. I don't see why they cant just offer that over OTA
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
except they haven't released a single OTA update yet. I got my car 8 months ago in early November which had the older style dash ( no m240i on the top/ speedometer and rpm is different fonts and sizes) I brought it in for an airbag issue recently and they upgraded the idrive to the newest version. I don't see why they cant just offer that over OTA
They have historically done so at most annually. It's not an iPhone, they don't need to update it that often. They need to validate the updates, which takes time, and there's an inherent risk in pushing updates out. Which is why they release select versions OTA and other intermediate releases to the dealers for use when a customer has a specific complaint. This is a standard practice in software engineering.
Appreciate 2
shonseb148.50