bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-30-2022, 11:20 PM   #1
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Waze CarPlay Integration

I saw a Reddit post today that showed Waze integrated into the center screen AND HUD on the new i4. This is my biggest gripe with our infotainment, that CarPlay is not seamlessly integrated into the driver screen. Perhaps an update will allow for this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:57 AM   #2
PNW240
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, Subaru Legacy

I would love this.. I refuse to use BMW navigation, and it would be really nice to have waze directions / warnings fill those spaces with sport gauges or something else on idrive.

That looks like iDrive 8 though so I won't hold my breath
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

Apple Maps has basic integration with the driver screen via CarPlay on idrive 7, so fingers crossed with an update they could add support for Waze and Google maps!
Appreciate 1
PNW240227.00
      03-31-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN1P3 View Post
I saw a Reddit post today that showed Waze integrated into the center screen AND HUD on the new i4. This is my biggest gripe with our infotainment, that CarPlay is not seamlessly integrated into the driver screen. Perhaps an update will allow for this?
That's not Waze, that's Apple maps.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Agree with verysideways that this looks like Apple Maps (you can see the icon on the left). This works today in iDrive 7 - I believe this was added in the 2020 or 2021 update, which obviously the G42s all have.

But - CarPlay HUD integration currently only works with Apple Maps, not Google (or Waze, which is really also Google). I suspect the fault for the lack of support lies somewhere between Apple and Google.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I use Apple Maps and all I have on the driver display and HUD is turn-by-turn directions.

I could only get the driver display to work if I were to use BMW maps, which just doesn't seem worth it to me.
      04-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post
I use Apple Maps and all I have on the driver display and HUD is turn-by-turn directions.

I could only get the driver display to work if I were to use BMW maps, which just doesn't seem worth it to me.
I actually prefer the BMW maps, they’re easier to operate while driving and the quality of the graphics for the turn by turn directions is higher than what you get with Apple Maps. And the accuracy of the directions seems just as good. Maybe give it a try before giving up on it, it’s gotten pretty good.

Even with BMW maps all you get in the instrument cluster when navigating is the same view you usually get, just with the route slightly highlighted. It’s not really different than the normal driving along view. I assume that’s because they show the turn-by-turn there if you don’t have the HUD

Personally I think the whole instrument cluster is a bit of a missed opportunity. I don’t need to see the map/directions in 2-3 places. I wish you had more options for what it displays in the center, like I believe competitors (Audi) have for their virtual cockpits.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post

I actually prefer the BMW maps, they’re easier to operate while driving and the quality of the graphics for the turn by turn directions is higher than what you get with Apple Maps. And the accuracy of the directions seems just as good. Maybe give it a try before giving up on it, it’s gotten pretty good.

Even with BMW maps all you get in the instrument cluster when navigating is the same view you usually get, just with the route slightly highlighted. It’s not really different than the normal driving along view. I assume that’s because they show the turn-by-turn there if you don’t have the HUD

Personally I think the whole instrument cluster is a bit of a missed opportunity. I don’t need to see the map/directions in 2-3 places. I wish you had more options for what it displays in the center, like I believe competitors (Audi) have for their virtual cockpits.
I really did try to give it a few chances.

My main qualm with BMW maps is that it would give me an ETA at the start of my drive that would be much sooner than any other app would estimate, and then constantly shift the ETA throughout the time that I'm driving up until I get close to my destination.

At that point, the ETA ends up either the same as or later than the one Apple gave me at the beginning of my drive. Personally, I prefer having a more realistic estimate at the beginning as I'm frequently short on time
      04-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
BMWPGA84
Rep
Drives: G42 BMW M240i

I find BMW maps to be a better display on the live cock pit and heads up display.

My gripe is the directions bmw provides me and the eta. I'm wasn't sure if it's me and the car settings but it also gives me wonky directions and longer eta.

Sometimes I go back in or if I provide the bmw navigation additional time and it will show me the more convenient direction as a alternative. Why wouldn't it prove me this direction in the first place?!

Apple Maps is quick and never gives you a poor direction. The eta is spot on as well,
Appreciate 1
idontsave370.50