home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-31-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

Question on downpipes and CEL

Hey guys, I'm finally picking up my M3C next week. I'm coming from an Audi RS3 and In that car when the check engine light is on it removes the ability to use launch control. Is there anything on the G80 that becomes unavailable when the CEL is illuminated? Considering it will be awhile before flash tunes are really fleshed out I was going to go DP's and JB4 for now. Thank you run advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You'll just get a warning light but nothing changes.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsrighthand View Post
Hey guys, I'm finally picking up my M3C next week. I'm coming from an Audi RS3 and In that car when the check engine light is on it removes the ability to use launch control. Is there anything on the G80 that becomes unavailable when the CEL is illuminated? Considering it will be awhile before flash tunes are really fleshed out I was going to go DP's and JB4 for now. Thank you run advance.
Like Xph stated above no other issues other than a light on the dash.

We have a black Friday sale going on right now if you are interested in a set of downpipes for you vehicle . click the link below
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Quote:
Like Xph stated above no other issues other than a light on the dash.

We have a black Friday sale going on right now if you are interested in a set of downpipes for you vehicle . click the link below
I'm not seeing a link but I'll take a look.
Appreciate 1
Jaixx0.00
      11-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
I'm running catless DP with no check engine light. Just buy 2 of the minicat O2 spacers and eliminates this problem completely. PM if you want more info/links.
Appreciate 2
///M ARMY1002.50
Grumpy514624.50
      11-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post
Quote:
I'm running catless DP with no check engine light. Just buy 2 of the minicat O2 spacers and eliminates this problem completely. PM if you want more info/links.
Exactly!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
I'm not seeing a link but I'll take a look.
Link in our signature
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Really? Thats excellent news! How many miles have you logged so far with no CEL?
      11-02-2021, 12:50 AM   #9
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Really? Thats excellent news! How many miles have you logged so far with no CEL?
A little over 200 miles now, and a lot of those miles were hard miles. Would of triggered something by 50 miles if it was gonna trigger something. I have used the code reader on JB4 to verify and there are no codes so I can confirm this works. Will report later if it stops for some reason.

Considering MAD is selling their downpipes for like $380 bucks I would highly recommend to anyone to just go this route, if you don't want an extremely loud car just keep the factory mid-pipe. You'll save thousands of dollars instead of getting catted DP ($3k plus) and getting a mid-pipe (seems to start at $1k plus)

Going catless will give you plenty of sounds and as a plus, you can clearly hear the turbo's spool up. I'm running SSR downpipes and a Valvetronic mid-pipe and love the sound but definitely not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
G80SWFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 bmw m3

Quote:
Quote:
A little over 200 miles now, and a lot of those miles were hard miles. Would of triggered something by 50 miles if it was gonna trigger something. I have used the code reader on JB4 to verify and there are no codes so I can confirm this works. Will report later if it stops for some reason.

Considering MAD is selling their downpipes for like $380 bucks I would highly recommend to anyone to just go this route, if you don't want an extremely loud car just keep the factory mid-pipe. You'll save thousands of dollars instead of getting catted DP ($3k plus) and getting a mid-pipe (seems to start at $1k plus)

Going catless will give you plenty of sounds and as a plus, you can clearly hear the turbo's spool up. I'm running SSR downpipes and a Valvetronic mid-pipe and love the sound but definitely not for everyone.
I want your Same setup. I'm coming from a procharged s550 mustang with corsa extreme cat back. Wonder how similar these two are for loudness of exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #11
SuzakuJones
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 m3 competition xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Which brand are you running the mini cat
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is awesome news for anyone considering go catless without a tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #13
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Is it quiet or relatively quiet when in comfort mode and the valves are closed?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:49 PM   #14
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
Exactly!!!
Can I put a cat down pipe on my European M340i and with the particle filter will it make any difference to sound and performance thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #15
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80SWFL View Post
I want your Same setup. I'm coming from a procharged s550 mustang with corsa extreme cat back. Wonder how similar these two are for loudness of exhaust
Well lucky for you, I had an S550 with Corsa longtubes and a corsa extreme cutback.

My setup is loud, but nowhere near as loud as the mustang. That thing was just insane. I made a lady jump on a drive by before.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #16
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I heard this does not work just want confirmation???
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
ole85
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/ Ferrari360

Quote:
Quote:
What brand mini cat spacer are you running
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Please tell us more about the secret sauce mini cats.
      11-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #19
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Yes post the info about the mini cats.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #20
biomedic6288
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Sapphire Black G80

I believe these are the Mini Cats

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #21
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Good find…let’s wait for OP to confirm but those are interesting
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #22
G80SWFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Good find…let’s wait for OP to confirm but those are interesting
Call me a complete noob. Do we need to buy 1 or 2 of those ? If adding catless downpipe thanks
Appreciate 0