E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ugh! Bottle of wine broke in trunk...

04-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Ugh! Bottle of wine broke in trunk...

Yesterday, I had 2 bottles of red wine in my trunk as I returned from the grocery store, and when I got home I saw that one of them (a Cabernet, I think) had broken and left its contents in the trunk. The glass, at least, stayed in the bag.

I sopped up whatever I could get to, but I knew that wouldn't do it. As I expected, a day later, my trunk still reeks.

Today, I went about dissassembling the trunk to get at all of it. I'm glad I did - there was a good size pool underneath the sirius module, which could have done nasty things if I had driven that way.

Anyway, it has gone well and I'm confident I'll be able to get all of it, with one hitch. There is wine underneath the plastic tub that sits where the spare tire isn't. Not to be confused with the felt liner that just lifts out, this tub is held in with 8 or so nuts. I unfastened them, and now the tub *almost* lifts out (it moves pretty freely), but there is still something holding it in. My guess is that BMW put a sticky pad at the bottom so the thing wouldn't rattle, but I have pulled with all my might and it wouldn't come out. I don't want to simply pull harder because I fear that BMW has hidden a screw somewhere - perhaps up from that bottom of the car (boy would that be stupid.) I have removed all of the trim pieces that cover the tub, so I have ruled those out.

Does anyone happen to know what holds this tub in? And how the h*ll to get it out?

If there is interest, I can take some pictures and make a "how to clean up after a trunk disaster" HOWTO.

(FYI the attached picture isn't of my trunk - I swiped it from another thread.)
Attached Images

04-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

Check here for the illustration of the parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by john802
Check here for the illustration of the parts.
Thanks, that's helpful. Your link also let me to this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=51&fg=80

I think #24 is what's holding it in. Or maybe #21 or #22. It looks like there isn't any hardware holding it in, but I'd like to get some confirmation before I go at it with a crowbar.