E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is bimmergeeks cable faulty?

08-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Is bimmergeeks cable faulty?

Bought a K+DCAN cable pro cable from bimmergeeks. My understanding is that when I plug in just one side i.e. the USB side to a windows laptop, a red light should light up, is that right?

Nothing happens when I connect the USB side to a windows laptop (without the OBD end connected to anything). Is this cable faulty? Does this typically happen with bimmergeeks? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

When you plug the cable into the obd it'll light up. Not the other way around.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 02:07 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

power comes from the OBD for the cable.

I think you can plug it in to the pc only to set up
the cable driver though.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberet123 View Post
Bought a K+DCAN cable pro cable from bimmergeeks. My understanding is that when I plug in just one side i.e. the USB side to a windows laptop, a red light should light up, is that right?

Nothing happens when I connect the USB side to a windows laptop (without the OBD end connected to anything). Is this cable faulty? Does this typically happen with bimmergeeks? Thanks!
Quote:

I kid you not, bimmergeeeks sent me two defective cables in a row, after troubleshooting for hours with galthorpe. They even remotely connected to confirm it was defective.
The 3rd and final cable that worked, was the pro version which they sent me.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I kid you not, bimmergeeeks sent me two defective cables in a row, after troubleshooting for hours with galthorpe. They even remotely connected to confirm it was defective.
how did you know it was the cable? error message popped up?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Bimmergeeks doesn't make cables, they buy them, and they could certainly have a bad batch. Ask them to check the cable before they send it to you, which will help your troubleshooting. Do you have another computer you could use?
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Bought a K+DCAN cable pro cable from bimmergeeks. My understanding is that when I plug in just one side i.e. the USB side to a windows laptop, a red light should light up, is that right?...
I have a 3+ year-old BG Pro K+DCAN Cable that has worked fine since purchase, and I have used it probably 100 times to view & save INPA & ISTA Screens, to learn how the software works, and to save "Baseline" screens for my 328xi.

On my Cable, there is a Red LED that lights for ~ one second when EITHER end of the cable is plugged into something: (1) If the USB Connector is inserted into a running Laptop, AND (2) If the large Connector is plugged into the OBD II Socket. The LED is located on the side of the Printed Circuit Board OPPOSITE the Switch, but it is bright enough that it illuminates the entire connector base.

You can also determine if the cable is properly connecting with your computer by doing the COM Port test described in the attached pdf. In that test, ONLY connect the USB Port to your computer and open "Control Panel > Device Manager" and follow instructions.

If NO LED lights when plugging in EITHER end of the cable, it may be that ONLY the LED circuit is faulty. I would suggest trying to connect computer to vehicle, and seeing if either INPA or ISTA will connect. Please let us know the details.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 131 views)
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

On my Cable, there is a Red LED that lights for ~ one second when EITHER end of the cable is plugged into something: (1) If the USB Connector is inserted into a running Laptop, AND (2) If the large Connector is plugged into the OBD II Socket. The LED is located on the side of the Printed Circuit Board OPPOSITE the Switch, but it is bright enough that it illuminates the entire connector base.
There may be some variability here. I also have a Bimmergeeks Pro cable, at least 3 years old, which has always worked perfectly and has been used many, many times.

However, on my cable the LED lights only when the cable is plugged into the OBD2 port, regardless of the status of the USB end. The LED does not light when plugged into the laptop alone.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      08-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

You guys are indeed right. It does light up when I plug in the OBD end - and I was successfully able to use Tool32 to read my FRM counter (they all read as 0 though lol). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #10
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glene View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glene View Post
Quote:
Yup, when I tried to read error codes. I bought the bimmergeeks cable because I had the same problem. When it repeated I thought my car had a wiring problem. Low and behold 3 cables had the same problem.
Appreciate 0