E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > several cylinder missfire car is in limp mode PLEASE HELP

06-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
mattpatton
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

several cylinder missfire car is in limp mode PLEASE HELP

I was recently just backing my car out of the driveway when the car went into limp mode and reading "engine malfunction reduced speed" the car is at 96,000 miles and is running a stage 2+ MHD tune, the car is also running full bolt ons and straight piped. I checked the charge pipe and it appears to be fine so I went to check the codes and it read the following

2EE0- combustion misfiring, several cylinders: fuel injection deactivation

2EE7- combustion misfiring, cylinder 2: fuel injection deactivation

2EFE- Misfire, several cylinders, damaging to catalytic converter or damaging exhaust gas.

2F00- Misfire cylinder 2, damaging to catalytic converter or damaging exhaust gas.

I tried clearing the codes but they just came back. I really don't know what to do, please help.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatton View Post
I was recently just backing my car out of the driveway when the car went into limp mode and reading "engine malfunction reduced speed" the car is at 96,000 miles and is running a stage 2+ MHD tune, the car is also running full bolt ons and straight piped. I checked the charge pipe and it appears to be fine so I went to check the codes and it read the following

2EE0- combustion misfiring, several cylinders: fuel injection deactivation

2EE7- combustion misfiring, cylinder 2: fuel injection deactivation

2EFE- Misfire, several cylinders, damaging to catalytic converter or damaging exhaust gas.

2F00- Misfire cylinder 2, damaging to catalytic converter or damaging exhaust gas.

I tried clearing the codes but they just came back. I really don't know what to do, please help.
Plugs, coils, injectors. It is likely one or more of those things. Plugs and coils are relatively cheap and if you haven't changed them in a while, they probably should be changed. Injectors are expensive so rule out plugs/coils first.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Since it flags several cylinders, could also be fuel pump, or a clogged fuel filter. In fact, I think that is most likely. Otherwise, I'd expect to see several individual cylinders flagged for misfires, not a single "several cylinders" error. And, I would not expect a single cylinder fault to warn of catalyst damage. I've driven both of my BMWs over 100 miles each with failed coils, and no harm done.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

If it was a fuel pump issue, you'd likely have a code directly related. If you don't have BMW standard tools, download it from Bimmergeeks.net. Then you can look at fuel pressures directly (or with an N55, you can at least look at the high pressure rail directly).

When was the last time you changed plugs, coils, injectors?

"Damage to converter" suggests a fueling (too much fuel) induced misfire i.e. leaky injectors. But first things first.
Appreciate 1