BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

03-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Exhaust Clicking when accelerating

Anyone else noticed a slight clicking sound from the exhaust upon acceleration?

Car goes in tomorrow to have it investigated further along with a few other things checked, but they initially said it may be something to do with the waste gate?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Hi mate, i've an Euro Spec m135i f40 and i've also noticed that. It happens between 2-3k rpm under load. I've had the car inspected at my local dealer and they've asked Bmw Italy because they didn't found any issue in the engine bay (it could have been a loose heat shield or something else like that). I also think that it's something related to the turbo and the waste gate.
I'll update you once they let me know what Bmw Italy has replied to them.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo135 View Post
Hi mate, i've an Euro Spec m135i f40 and i've also noticed that. It happens between 2-3k rpm under load. I've had the car inspected at my local dealer and they've asked Bmw Italy because they didn't found any issue in the engine bay (it could have been a loose heat shield or something else like that). I also think that it's something related to the turbo and the waste gate.
Hey,

Yeah I notice it almost as you hear the turbo spooling up?

Mines is currently being investigated at the dealership just now, they did think the waste gate too, but have sent a video off to bmw techs (I think in Germany?) and will hopefully get an answer tomorrow.

Will post any updates here!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
Edo135
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieDouglas View Post
Quote:
Hey,

Mines is currently being investigated at the dealership just now, they did think the waste gate too, but have sent a video off to bmw techs (I think in Germany?) and will hopefully get an answer tomorrow.

Yeah same, as the turbo spools up the noise appears. Let's see what they say to you and to me and then if we resolve, I'll post here too as soon as I have new informations !
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #5
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

Yeah same, as the turbo spools up the noise appears. Let's see what they say to you and to me and then if we resolve, I'll post here too as soon as I have new informations !
They're going to replace the turbo actuator in the hopes that it'll stop the clicking noise - won't find out until Tuesday when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
Edo135
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

They're going to replace the turbo actuator in the hopes that it'll stop the clicking noise - won't find out until Tuesday when it arrives.
Ok understood, let's see what they say to me next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

Got it back today with the actuator/waste gate in the turbo replaced however it still makes the noise.

Have contacted bmw again and I am awaiting an update.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
CSD979967
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

Got it back today with the actuator/waste gate in the turbo replaced however it still makes the noise.

F*** sake mate fair amount of mess ups you've had to deal with
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD979967 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

F*** sake mate fair amount of mess ups you've had to deal with
Their technicians and workshop manager are adamant there's nothing wrong so they've agreed to let me drive their M235i to see if that also makes the same noise 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:39 AM   #10
Edo135
Rep

Hi Robbie, that's not encouraging for sure .. Did you already drove their M235i? Does it make the rattling or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #11
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi Robbie, that's not encouraging for sure .. Did you already drove their M235i? Does it make the rattling or not?
Hey, going at 4pm today so I shall let you know!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #12
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

The car from the dealership makes the same noise upon acceleration. It had about 5500 miles on it.

I can't personally recall if my car made this clicking noise right at the start when the mileage was less than 100, so if anyone's does not make this noise can you let me know?

It's either just the sound of the car, or a common fault and the dealerships car was also suffering the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:46 AM   #13
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

The car from the dealership makes the same noise upon acceleration. It had about 5500 miles on it.

I can't personally recall if my car made this clicking noise right at the start when the mileage was less than 100, so if anyone's does not make this noise can you let me know?

It's either just the sound of the car, or a common fault and the dealerships car was also suffering the same thing!
Personally don't hear any clicking noise from my exhaust when accelerating or nothing out the ordinary mate
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #14
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

Personally don't hear any clicking noise from my exhaust when accelerating or nothing out the ordinary mate
Cheers mate, like I don't think it was there when I originally got it but that was 6 months ago and obviously wasn't something I was listening for😂.

Got a Remus going on in just under 3 weeks so will see if that solves the issue lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

Cheers mate, like I don't think it was there when I originally got it but that was 6 months ago and obviously wasn't something I was listening for😂.

Got a Remus going on in just under 3 weeks so will see if that solves the issue lol
Soon as the Remus is on get the pics and sound uploaded. I'm considering it and dying to see what it looks like

What tips you going for black or chrome? Or Carbon actually...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #16
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

Soon as the Remus is on get the pics and sound uploaded. I'm considering it and dying to see what it looks like

What tips you going for black or chrome? Or Carbon actually...
Will do mate, fitted on the 29th so not to long to wait now! And yeah I've gone for the carbon ones 😎
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2021, 02:47 AM   #17
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Anyone else noticed a slight clicking sound from the exhaust upon acceleration?

Car goes in tomorrow to have it investigated further along with a few other things checked, but they initially said it may be something to do with the waste gate?

Thanks
Yep - there is already a thread about this.

BMW M235i GC Owners - Noise Issue https://f44.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1789821
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
Edo135
Rep

Quote:
Okay.. so..

Hi Robbie,

I've test driven a new m135i which arrived at my dealer and that didn't make the noise. The tech that was with me concluded, as i thought, that this it's a fault of my car and so i'll bring the car back in next week or so i think.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:28 AM   #19
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay.. so..

Hi Robbie,

I've test driven a new m135i which arrived at my dealer and that didn't make the noise. The tech that was with me concluded, as i thought, that this it's a fault of my car and so i'll bring the car back in next week or so i think.
Thank you.

Can you keep me updated with what the outcome is?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:35 AM   #20
jmurchison72
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Coupe

Same issue here, I've also taken it back to the Dealer and they claimed that the M135 made the same noise, so Apparently that makes it normal... It's actually quite embarrassing when you're overtaking someone.. sounds like somethings gunna blow or fall out the back of the car.. apart from that the performance is fine.
Appreciate 0