BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > F80 ZCP to M2C 1500 mile review/comparison

09-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I posted my delivery review of my 2020 M2C with manual transmission and executive package (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1629072) and promised I'd follow-up with a review after break-in. I'm at 1500 miles now and have had the opportunity to take some nice back road drives as well as use the car as my daily driver. For reference, for the past three years my DD had been a 2016 F80 ZCP with manual transmission.

Exterior
No real update from my previous observations. While not a particularly beautiful car, it is suitably aggressive appearing while still being able to fly below the radar from the perspective of non-enthusiasts. I thought about powder coating the exhaust, but honestly I don't even notice it any more.

Interior
Again, no real change from my previous thoughts. Despite my initial concerns about going from my Golden Brown F80 interior to the M2C's black interior, I have adjusted well and enjoy the car for what it is. I do like the alcantera touches - they are in the right places and I appreciate the judicious application of this material. I also like the blue stitching - it's amazing how such a small detail brightens up what is otherwise a somewhat dark space.

Controls
I remain slightly annoyed by the lack of a dedicated oil temp gauge. I basically leave the OBC on the temp gauge all the time. My initial concerns are somewhat mitigated in that many of the other functions of the OBC (ambient temperature, digital MPH, etc.) are available via Apple CarPlay apps/Waze, etc. I have readjusted to not having the MT gear displayed on the dash. As before, I don't miss the HUD; as I am usually wearing my polarized sun glasses when I drive, I never paid it much attention in my F80.

Nav, iDrive, technology, etc.
I know some people do not like it, but CarPlay has made the Nav so much more functional for me compared to my F80. Other than that, the two cars are obviously quite similar (and 2017+ F80s identical) in most respects (except HUD and a few other details). I still would like it if the M2C had the top view cameras that the F80 does; this view comes in handy for certain parking situations.

Driving Experience
Steering: I definitely like the steering in the M2C more. It's a subtle change but the steering, while slightly lighter in the Sport and Sport+ settings, has a bit more feel and seems a bit more precise. In my F80, the Sport+ setting seemed slightly artificially heavy, whereas in the M2C the Sport+ setting is perfect.

Transmission: No change from my previous observations. It feels basically the same as in my F80 and I am very happy with it.

Handling and suspension: I really enjoy the handling of this car! It feels more agile than my F80, which may come down to its smaller size. It is really fun to toss around in corners and seems more willing to play than my F80. The suspension is perfect. I cannot stress this enough. My F80's adaptive suspension felt the same to me in all settings, and it basically crashed over uneven surfaces even in comfort mode. The passive suspension in the M2C is perfectly tuned. While obviously not a soft ride, it allows for excellent handling while providing some buffering over rougher roads. My F80 developed rattles very early on, whereas the M2C is still solid a a vault. I'm sure some this is in part due to the ZCP's 20 in wheels.

Engine/exhaust: Of course, I am no stranger to the S55 after three years with the F80. I think it is a great engine and appreciate that there are still theatrics to be had at the top end despite the nature of a turbocharged engine. I think the exhaust sounds great. I cannot really tell any difference between the exhaust in the M2C and the F80. The car actually feels quicker to me than my F80, but I think this must be in my head.

Overall, as you can tell, I am very happy with the switch and am really enjoying the M2C. If all this sounds like I am ragging on the F80, I still think it is a great car. If I didn't have the M5 parked next to my M2C, I'd probably have kept the F80 for the utility of four doors. I honestly do not know why I didn't bond with the F80 in the way I thought I would. I think perhaps I kept comparing it to my M5 because they are so similar in size (and interior and exterior color, ha ha), whereas the M2C is clearly a completely different type of car.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 6
csbear1118.00
cptobvious2531.50
pz6193280.00
Davil6579.50
nomoracin761.00
dmboone254972.00
      09-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The only few items I miss in my M2C when getting out on my new X5 50i M-Sport is the crystal clear HUD and gesture controls. I use them all the time and find myself doing them on my M2C without any response. I adore the newer dial gauges in the M2C over the new digital display. As nice as the latest digital gauge cluster is, it has no place in a full “M car”. IMO.
Appreciate 2
KevinM2937.00
      09-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

On my ED now and made the same transition F80 ZCP to M2C, however DCT to manual, and I agree with everything you are saying. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think I may keep this car forever. Also, the manual is just addictive, and doing susten/gotthard/furka/grimsel balls out with auto rev match was super telling of this car's capability. The only two cars that came close to making me feel this way were my e46 and EvoX. Two cars I regret selling. But now that those decisions have led me to this M2C many years later, it's okay.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
KevinM2937.00
      09-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
On my ED now and made the same transition F80 ZCP to M2C, however DCT to manual, and I agree with everything you are saying. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think I may keep this car forever. Also, the manual is just addictive, and doing susten/gotthard/furka/grimsel balls out with auto rev match was super telling of this car's capability. The only two cars that came close to making me feel this way were my e46 and EvoX. Two cars I regret selling. But now that those decisions have led me to this M2C many years later, it's okay.
Congratulations on your ED! I hope that you have a great trip.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00