E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330D DPF

03-04-2019, 04:04 AM   #1
anderoo
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2012

330D DPF

Hi,

I have an M57 330D, i haven't had it long and have noticed the soot level (as reported on Carly) never goes below ~14g but even though i'm doing 1 hour plus at motorway speeds (~70ish mph) it never seems to drop at any significant rate - just very slowly once hot and at speed. If i ask Carly to force a regen it says it was successful but doesn't actually seem to do anything.

Carly showing no error codes except an Aux water pump (which i would imagine is totally unrelated)!

The car previously (before i owned it) had it's DPF refitted after being removed earlier in it's life. Is it possible something was coded to stop it showing error codes when it didn't have a DPF, and now that the DPF is back it doesn't know to do a proper regen now and again? I asked the garage who fitted the DPF back and they said they weren't instructed to code anything, and literally just put the DPF back on.

Is there any way to check using the laptop BMW tools?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
anderoo
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2012

Bump. Is anyone able to help with this? Or point me in the right direction? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Removing the DPF would cause multiple error codes to be thrown. It's very likely that the previous owner had to have the DDE tuned to remove those error codes. If the DDE was never returned to stock, its possible the car is not running a regen.

Not sure about the water pump but a failing thermostat would cause efficiency issues with the engine that could result in decreased mileage. I think its a long shot that a failing water pump would cause regens to not activate, but I'm not sure.

I'd also suggest setting up the INPA, NCS Expert, ISTA, etc suite on you laptop. You can find multiple threads on how to set it up for free. From what I've seen, it seems ISTA can be very helpful for tracking down issues.

And finally, you might be able to get more answers if you post this question on the diesel sub section of this forum located here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377 It's not very active but there arent many diesel guys that I've seen that venture over to the general E90 section. The North American Diesel Owners Group on Facebook is much more active though, you might be able to get more answers there.
Appreciate 0