THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JP4 and boost by gear questions

11-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JP4 and boost by gear questions

1) What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JP4? Is it solely to support datalogging or is the JP4 actually using the OBDII data to manipulate the signals of the sensors it's plugged into? The reason I ask is that I have a 6MT and I'm not excited what cutting the firewall grommet that surrounds my hydraulic clutch line. If the OBDII connection is solely for datalogging, then I'll run the cable around the door opening when needed.

2) Can you do boost by gear for all the maps including Map 1 or 2?
      11-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
JB4*
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

It's my understanding that the OBD2 access provides faster data samples than the existing method (wire tap). I also believe the features now built into the JB4 wouldn't be possible without the OBD connection, like exhaust vale control, boost by gear, etc.

Boost-by-gear can be used in any Map, it's one of the features in the "user adjustment settings" which will apply to all Maps. This, aside from a meth controller, was one of the reasons I decided to use the JB4, even though I plan to flash tune, still. Haven't really felt the need to use this aside from 1st gear launching, it works really well. I'd also imagine this would be a great feature for the RWD 8AT guys, who launch/drag. They seem to burn through the first 3 gears when they launch..