E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do I need to have insurance to purchase a vehicle through ED?

06-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Karey
Registered
Rep
Drives: hard bargain

Do I need to have insurance to purchase a vehicle through ED?

Hey guys, I was recommended to this site by a friend, and I have read just about everything on here! This place is great.

My question is this, for people buying a new car in the US, and in my case the new 2006 3 series, do you need insurance coverage at the time of purchase? I'm doing a Euro delivery, and currently don't have any auto insurance coverage because this is my first car in the US. I was planning to find and purchase auto insurance coverage once I got back from my ED trip. However, I was told I would need to have auto coverage when I completed my purchase order 2 weeks before leaving for Europe. Is this correct? BTW, I am buying the car, not leasing. Many Thanks!!

Karey
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
chazmtb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

I did European delivery on my old 325ci. You must have insurance coverage once the car hits the dealership on delivery (ie, as soon as the car is unloaded off the BMW truck) Once the car is off the truck, the dealer acts as your bailee (in legal terms, your agent to receive the car). It is good to have insurance set up prior to that point. Once the dealer calls you that the car is in, you call the insurance company to make it effective on that date. Otherwise, insurance is handled through the European Delivery process (while the car is in Europe and in transit).

I don't know, but you will probably get tags before you go to Europe (the dealer applies for the tags as soon as a VIN is assigned to your vehicle). In most state, having insurance is a requirement to getting the tags.
Appreciate 0