F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Sudden failure of my bimmertech rear camera
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i sport line

Garage List
Sudden failure of my bimmertech rear camera

So I purchased the Bimmertech rear view camera and installed it a year ago and can't go on enough about how much I loved it. It was working today until I parked my car and later went out to run an errand. This time when I went into reverse the screen went black (which it usually did for a small fraction of a second before the camera view came on) but this time it only displayed the backup lines superimposed on my normal screen with no camera view. This has never happened before. I tried to to a factory reset through the units menu and remote but this still didn't fix the issue.

Has anyone had this issue before? If so, how did you fix it?

Attached Images

Last edited by messygarageBMW; 10-08-2017 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc View Post
So I purchased the Bimmertech rear view camera and installed it a year ago and can't go on enough about how much I loved it. It was working today until I parked my car and later went out to run an errand. This time when I went into reverse the screen went black (which it usually did for a small fraction of a second before the camera view came on) but this time it only displayed the backup lines superimposed on my normal screen with no camera view. This has never happened before. I tried to to a factory reset through the units menu and remote but this still didn't fix the issue.

Has anyone had this issue before? If so, how did you fix it?

Did you check the connections? Is it the MMI or OEM Integration?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is the MMI and I didn't take the dash apart yet to check. I wanted to see if there was some other ideas before I tore it out and tried to reset everything back up. I wasn't in there doing anything else so the connections coming out doesn't seem likely as it was just working less than an hour before.

Another annoying aspect is after doing the factory reset it is now looking like it is only on part of the screen now and the backup sensor blocks are in there. I forgot how to reset it to full screen and take the backup sensors blocks off which is how it was for the last 1 year +.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkeys View Post
If the connections came lose, I wouldn't think it would show the lines would it?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
It is the MMI and I didn't take the dash apart yet to check. I wanted to see if there was some other ideas before I tore it out and tried to reset everything back up. I wasn't in there doing anything else so the connections coming out doesn't seem likely as it was just working less than an hour before.

Another annoying aspect is after doing the factory reset it is now looking like it is only on part of the screen now and the backup sensor blocks are in there. I forgot how to reset it to full screen and take the backup sensors blocks off which is how it was for the last 1 year +.
I professionally install these, so I can give you a few things to try. Worst case, your MMI could be bad, but that's rare.

Even though you already did a reset, I would go in your car and hold "Option" on the iDrive screen for about 10 seconds. This is another way to do a hard reset. You'll know it worked when you see the idrive display briefly turn off and back on again.

Then, test it out...

If it's still not working right, put the car in reverse and try to press the iDrive controller to the 6 o'clock position for about 3-5 seconds. This will change from Full Screen to Partial Screen. If you let go and hold it down for another 3-5 seconds, it will go from Partial to Nothing and if you hold it again.. you guessed it.. Nothing to Full Screen.

As for the Red Squares, put the car in reverse (the reason I keep saying put the car in reverse is because you have to be on a "BimmerTech over-ride screen to access the menu")

Next... hold the "back" button on your iDrive controller for about 3-5 seconds. Look for "Radar Enable" and turn it off. That should get rid of the red squares.

If you still have trouble, you can reply on here (sometimes I don't get notifications) or email me at bryan@kiesmotorsports.com and I can try to help you trouble shoot it. Worst case, I can connect you with BimmerTech support.

Bryan
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      10-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If the connections came lose, I wouldn't think it would show the lines would it?
Yea, I?ve had it show lines with a disconnected camera before. Normally a black screen with dynamic lines
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I professionally install these, so I can give you a few things to try. Worst case, your MMI could be bad, but that's rare.

Even though you already did a reset, I would go in your car and hold "Option" on the iDrive screen for about 10 seconds. This is another way to do a hard reset. You'll know it worked when you see the idrive display briefly turn off and back on again.

Then, test it out...

If it's still not working right, put the car in reverse and try to press the iDrive controller to the 6 o'clock position for about 3-5 seconds. This will change from Full Screen to Partial Screen. If you let go and hold it down for another 3-5 seconds, it will go from Partial to Nothing and if you hold it again.. you guessed it.. Nothing to Full Screen.

As for the Red Squares, put the car in reverse (the reason I keep saying put the car in reverse is because you have to be on a "BimmerTech over-ride screen to access the menu")

Next... hold the "back" button on your iDrive controller for about 3-5 seconds. Look for "Radar Enable" and turn it off. That should get rid of the red squares.

If you still have trouble, you can reply on here (sometimes I don't get notifications) or email me at bryan@kiesmotorsports.com and I can try to help you trouble shoot it. Worst case, I can connect you with BimmerTech support.

Bryan
Bryan,

This worked. Camera is back and working. Full screen is restored and now to follow your suggestion for the radar enable issue and all will be right with the world again. Thanks for your help!

Denny
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Then, test it out...

Bryan
Bryan,

This worked. Camera is back and working. Full screen is restored and now to follow your suggestion for the radar enable issue and all will be right with the world again. Thanks for your help!

Denny
Awesome, glad to hear

Bryan
Appreciate 0