E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw e90 335d pre lci or bmw 335d lci

10-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
kshah786
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330d arden blue

Bmw e90 335d pre lci or bmw 335d lci

Hello all. Im new to this forum so dont know if this is the right section.

I was looking to buy a e90 335d pre lci and was going to so a LCI conversion. But just today i was talking to my dads friend who is a trader and sells only e46/e90s.
While talking to him he mentioned that the pre lci 335d has alot of issues such as turbo failure, turbo actuators, gearbox and also the chain but he did say that is rare. However he does say that the lci 335d is newer and has better parts than the pre lci.

I was hoping someone could clarify if he is correct. What problems if any are you getting in your 335ds lci or pre lci. I assumed they were the same apart from the exterior and sat nav.

Just to add would it be cheaper to do a lci upgrade or buy a standard 335d.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshah786 View Post
I was looking to buy a e90 335d pre lci and was going to so a LCI conversion. But just today i was talking to my dads friend who is a trader and sells only e46/e90s.
While talking to him he mentioned that the pre lci 335d has alot of issues such as turbo failure, turbo actuators, gearbox and also the chain but he did say that is rare. However he does say that the lci 335d is newer and has better parts than the pre lci.

I was hoping someone could clarify if he is correct. What problems if any are you getting in your 335ds lci or pre lci. I assumed they were the same apart from the exterior and sat nav.
The lci has a newer CIC (chassis computer) with much more capability. Pretty expensive to upgrade.

The USA/CA 335d have a different engine than the UK/EU versions, so they're not terribly comparable. You need to make sure you get feedback on the UK/EU motor, not ours. I haven't actually seen any particular problems - timing chain, gearbox, turbos, etc. - on the UK motors, but I only look here and in another US-based forums.

The chain problem seems to be limited more to the M47/N47 4-pot engines rather than the 6-pot.

The M57D30T2 was used from 2006 or so, so pre-lci cars did have them (checking the history of the engine.) By lci the older engine was phased out completely. Not sure who got what.
Appreciate 0