E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E90 330d is being naughty and will NOT start.!!!

12-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
mikelomax
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 33d touring

My E90 330d is being naughty and will NOT start.!!!

Hi guys.
Hope you can help me out. I have a problem with my 330d. It's a 2006 model.
I replaced the high pressure fuel pump a couple of weeks ago but it started to develop a starting problem soon after.
It was running great for a few days after but has a problem with starting. First of all I would put the key in and press the start button and it would just throw the starter for half a second or so and then stop, after a few presses of the button it would run the starter motor properly and start the engine. Now and then it would also just cut the engine when driving.??
Now this morning it would not run the starter at all just 30 or so half second clicks of the starter. I give up and went out in the wife's car.!!
Got home this afternoon and decided to hook some jump leads up to it and try again. Same old same problem but eventually it did fire up with lots of trying. Great I though until it just died again.!! Then I fired it up a good few times and it would run for sometimes 3 seconds to 30 seconds but then just completely cut out.!!
I have given up trying and hope you guys can shed some light on my situation as its frustrated me so much today I feel like giving up with the bloody thing.!!!
Any help greatly appreciated guys.
Regards
Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
Did you bleed the fuel system after the pump replacement? If you didn't then that can explain your intermittent no starts and engine cutting out. There is a special bleed procedure that is performed if the fuel system is opened or components replaced. It is done with a BMW tester, however you may be able to get by without testing equipment. All you really have yo do is to get the pump to run for a few minutes to push out any trapped air in the system. (some info on the intraweb explaining how to do this.)

If you already have done the bleed procedure, then you may have a line or component that is allowing air into the system. So check for leaks if you have not already.

HTH!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
mikelomax
Registered
Rep

I don't think it's anything to do with the diesel system as it run ok for a couple of days after replacement.!!
I have just replaced the battery and still will not turn over.??
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
So is your starter just clicking? Or is the motor turning over and just not firing?
If it's just clicking, then your starter may have given up. If it's turing over and not firing, then it is a fuel issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
mikelomax
Registered
Rep

It's not clicking it's turning the engine over for about half a second then stopping.??

Mike
Appreciate 0