XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

2011 X5 35i windshield wiper malfunction, need ideas!

Hello all,
Yesterday, driving in rain for an extended period (road trip), the wipers began to malfunction--they would stop in various places on the windshield and not respond to lever input controls. Then, after waiting a few minutes, I could get them to run again, but still would not follow the control inputs correctly--speed, intermittent rain sense, etc. Once running, I could not turn them off, until they stopped by themselves, usually about 20 seconds in. In various windshield locations!

Anybody have any idea what's going on? I've located the front wiper relay in the passenger compartment fuse/relay box. I removed it (small green one) and examined it--took off the cover, all looks well, no burned spots but admittedly, there are internal parts not viewable once the main relay cover is removed.

Anybody have previous experience with this sort of thing? Could it be the control stalk?

I can get the relay for $20 on Ebay but would rather wait until I get feedback here. Thanks in advance!

Greg
Austin TX USA
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
Prelude93
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x2.8i, 2011 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Hello all,
Yesterday, driving in rain for an extended period (road trip), the wipers began to malfunction--they would stop in various places on the windshield and not respond to lever input controls. Then, after waiting a few minutes, I could get them to run again, but still would not follow the control inputs correctly--speed, intermittent rain sense, etc. Once running, I could not turn them off, until they stopped by themselves, usually about 20 seconds in. In various windshield locations!

Anybody have any idea what's going on? I've located the front wiper relay in the passenger compartment fuse/relay box. I removed it (small green one) and examined it--took off the cover, all looks well, no burned spots but admittedly, there are internal parts not viewable once the main relay cover is removed.

Anybody have previous experience with this sort of thing? Could it be the control stalk?

I can get the relay for $20 on Ebay but would rather wait until I get feedback here. Thanks in advance!

Greg
Austin TX USA
Hi, curious if you found a solution to your wiper problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0