XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
I can smell it but I can't see it

I have replaced radiator, expansion tank, and upper radiator hose Over last few months. Most recently was the upper rad hose. Problem is after 500 miles I can sometimes still smell radiator fluid. I have looked high and low and can't find a drop. I have no cooling issues. Car runs fine. Any ideas ? Could radiator fluid found its way into the heater? I smell it most often then when heater is on. But not always.
      12-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
aligoodn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Engine coolant is what goes through the heater core, controlled by an electronic valve so there's only flow when you are demanding heating from the climate control. This is why you have to set the heater to max when you bleed air from the coolant system.

If you are consistently smelling coolant with the heater on then you likely have a leak somewhere in the heater core. Not a fun job as the entire dashboard has to come out of the car to get to it.

There is also the potential that you have a leak in the engine bay and the smell is being drawn into the fresh air ducts mounted at the base of the windshield. I would try to see if the smell changes when you force the climate control into recirculate (no outside air) and also do a pressure test of the cooling system.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Common problem after eating spicy food.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Well I have done some research and be damned if I can find the issue. Although also oddly enough the problem has kind of gone away. I went on a long road trip in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was cold and rainy as hell. Th scent eventually went away. I have since played with the controls to try and get the smell to come back but it hasn't. or it hasn't come back continuously. Maybe briefly the other day I smelled something but it wasn't pungent. Doubt anyone else would of noticed but I did, or I think i did. Cant find anything wet in the car, so doubt its a heater core leak. THANK GOD!! So thats that!
      01-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCletus View Post
Well I have done some research and be damned if I can find the issue. Although also oddly enough the problem has kind of gone away. I went on a long road trip in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was cold and rainy as hell. Th scent eventually went away. I have since played with the controls to try and get the smell to come back but it hasn't. or it hasn't come back continuously. Maybe briefly the other day I smelled something but it wasn't pungent. Doubt anyone else would of noticed but I did, or I think i did. Cant find anything wet in the car, so doubt its a heater core leak. THANK GOD!! So thats that!
For something that minor I would just use some copper bars and leaks / Very good fix won't cause extend the damage or clogthings up as long as you have lots of fluid coolant I mean that will fix everything and the entire coolant system! From pinhole leaks to you name it but it's only temporary till the part completely fails so hopefully this will last you a few years
Appreciate 0