XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Footwell replacement

So in a previous thread i asked about my taillight issue. I replaced bulbs, sockets, and whole taillight til I ended up taking it to local BMW mechanic. He deduced that it was the footwell module that is FUBAR. Unfortunately I am out of warranty by a year
I plan on buying a new or maybe used footwell, but am curious about these folks that do remote footwell programming. (connect pc to OBD2, and they come in via skype and make adjustments) anyone have any experience with one or another?
      10-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCletus View Post
So in a previous thread i asked about my taillight issue. I replaced bulbs, sockets, and whole taillight til I ended up taking it to local BMW mechanic. He deduced that it was the footwell module that is FUBAR. Unfortunately I am out of warranty by a year
I plan on buying a new or maybe used footwell, but am curious about these folks that do remote footwell programming. (connect pc to OBD2, and they come in via skype and make adjustments) anyone have any experience with one or another?
You should still be covered, it's an extended warranty item through BMW, I had mine done last year free of charge when it blew out. had 120,000 miles on it at the time and was 6 years old. Had them do the airbag recall at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

The footwell module is covered under an extended warranty, see the attached service bulletin. If for some reason they don't cover it, you can get it fixed for around $200 instead of having to buy a new or used one and have it coded to your vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
DAMN, do I owe you all some beer $$ Just called Concord BMW and confirmed it is covered under warranty. AND, they are giving me a rental car. Winner winner chicken dinner!!
      10-18-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
DAMN, do I owe you all some beer $$ Just called Concord BMW and confirmed it is covered under warranty. AND, they are giving me a rental car. Winner winner chicken dinner!!
Happy to help! I'll be having this fixed in a couple weeks, out of curiosity how far out did you have to make an appointment at the dealer for them to take care of it?
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Quote:
Happy to help! I'll be having this fixed in a couple weeks, out of curiosity how far out did you have to make an appointment at the dealer for them to take care of it?
Called Friday and I got in for Wednesday the following week.
      10-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Quote:
Called Friday and I got in for Wednesday the following week.
By the way. I went to dealer to get warranty covered footwell. As they did the key code scan the VANOS came up. I knew it would. The dealer said there is a no ending date for this replacement. Compliments to BMW. So not only am i getting a new footwell module but also both VANOS valves replaced. FOC (Free of Charge)
Winner winner again!!
      12-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
So update to the issue. Dealer said the issue wasn't Footwell so they didn't replace. They did fix issue though. Probably end of Nov / First Dec issue came back. just random. I was parked in the car not moving and it says "Left brake lamp Malfunction" I got out of the car with engine running and wedged a piece of wood on brake pedal. All lights work fine. Dealer wanted a $150 to check it. If it was footwell they would replace, but if not I get the bill. I said no. I went home home and got my OBD2, and cleared the codes thinking that would solve problem. It did not. Its not the worst the lights all work just the irritating DING every time I start the car. Any other ideas?
      12-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
So update to the issue. Dealer said the issue wasn't Footwell so they didn't replace. They did fix issue though. Probably end of Nov / First Dec issue came back. just random. I was parked in the car not moving and it says "Left brake lamp Malfunction" I got out of the car with engine running and wedged a piece of wood on brake pedal. All lights work fine. Dealer wanted a $150 to check it. If it was footwell they would replace, but if not I get the bill. I said no. I went home home and got my OBD2, and cleared the codes thinking that would solve problem. It did not. Its not the worst the lights all work just the irritating DING every time I start the car. Any other ideas?
I would just go ahead and replace the bulb, it might be just enough out of spec to set off the alarm. The footwell measures the resistance of all the bulbs and that is how it "knows" if one is out, howeverI have seen bulbs start to go and the coil still is making a connection so it lights up, but its internal resistance will be off and cause a false failure indication on the infotainment screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Getting my footwell module replaced now. Unfortunately, they also found that my upper oil pan gasket is leaking. I'll see how much that repair costs before I look into replacing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I would just go ahead and replace the bulb, it might be just enough out of spec to set off the alarm. The footwell measures the resistance of all the bulbs and that is how it "knows" if one is out, howeverI have seen bulbs start to go and the coil still is making a connection so it lights up, but its internal resistance will be off and cause a false failure indication on the infotainment screen.
Or... maybe you could code out the bulb check "feature" and that should remove the annoying error.
This was a very early coding option that a lot of us used when we went to LEDs to replace all of our bulbs.
You could do it for just that bulb.

Should be pretty easy to find the details, and was very easy to do... Think you can do it through Carly.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 01-02-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
I went ahead and ordered some bulbs from pelican. I assume whatever the factory bulb is/was should be the best replacement. If that doesn't work then I will do the code out task
      01-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
New Bosch bulbs fixed the issue. Jeez all of that for an effing bulb??
      01-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #14
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Glad you were able to resolve the problems.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0