XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
caleayres
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 35i

Heating/Cooling Problems

Unfortunately, we are having problems with the heat/cooling system. Yesterday , I drove the car and after a few miles I noticed the heat was not getting very hot. Then I heard the radiator fan accelerate to a much higher rpm (sounds like a small jet plane). I pulled over and checked the antifreeze level and it was filled appropriately and it was also circulating (the small stream of antifreeze was flowing inside the antifreeze reservoir). I shut the car off and sat a couple minutes. I restarted the engine and again sat a few minutes to see if the radiator fan would accelerate to a high rpm again. The heater started to get warmer and the radiator fan didn't run at the high rpm, so I continued my trip. After approximately 10 minutes of driving, the radiator fan again accelerated into a high rpm and the heat inside the car cooled off again. I again pulled off to the side of the road and shut the car off, waited a few minutes, then restarted the car and drove home. At this point the yellow engine light came on the dashboard.

I just picked it up from the BMW dealer to have the valvetronic servo replaced for $2200.00 the day before.

Last year I had the computer and the main wiring harness replaced. I paid for the computer and BMW paid for the harness.
Just before that I had to replace the water pump.

My frustration with this car is very high. I've had it 3 years and only put 8000 miles on it. (79K)

Any Ideas? Is this car too old for a BMW buy-back?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
caleayres
Rep

2011 x5 35I (79K)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleayres View Post
Unfortunately, we are having problems with the heat/cooling system. Yesterday , I drove the car and after a few miles I noticed the heat was not getting very hot. Then I heard the radiator fan accelerate to a much higher rpm (sounds like a small jet plane). I pulled over and checked the antifreeze level and it was filled appropriately and it was also circulating (the small stream of antifreeze was flowing inside the antifreeze reservoir). I shut the car off and sat a couple minutes. I restarted the engine and again sat a few minutes to see if the radiator fan would accelerate to a high rpm again. The heater started to get warmer and the radiator fan didn't run at the high rpm, so I continued my trip. After approximately 10 minutes of driving, the radiator fan again accelerated into a high rpm and the heat inside the car cooled off again. I again pulled off to the side of the road and shut the car off, waited a few minutes, then restarted the car and drove home. At this point the yellow engine light came on the dashboard.

I just picked it up from the BMW dealer to have the valvetronic servo replaced for $2200.00 the day before.

Last year I had the computer and the main wiring harness replaced. I paid for the computer and BMW paid for the harness.
Just before that I had to replace the water pump.

My frustration with this car is very high. I've had it 3 years and only put 8000 miles on it. (79K)

Any Ideas? Is this car too old for a BMW buy-back?
Did you replace the thermostat when you replaced the water pump? Did you bleed the system properly? Does your vehicle reach normal operating temperatures when driven?

Could be air in the system or maybe your thermostat is stuck open.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
caleayres
Rep

Yes, the thermostat was replaced when the water pump was changed (it's attached to the water pump itself). The manual says to let the car run at idle and it will bleed itself. There is no way to see exactly what the temperatures are and I am unaware of any way to make the system tell me what the temps are.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
nlastovi
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 50i

Quote:
Yes, the thermostat was replaced when the water pump was changed (it's attached to the water pump itself). The manual says to let the car run at idle and it will bleed itself. There is no way to see exactly what the temperatures are and I am unaware of any way to make the system tell me what the temps are.
There is, I believe, a procedure to check the various temperatures from the dash board. It is in the hidden menu if I remember. See
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Yes, the thermostat was replaced when the water pump was changed (it's attached to the water pump itself). The manual says to let the car run at idle and it will bleed itself.
The S63 and the N54 have a bleed procedure that utilizes the electric water pump (main or auxiliary) to circle coolant in the system to bleed it. Does the N55 have a mechanical water pump? Does it have a bleeder screw on the expansion tank? If so, I'm all out of ideas. If no, I'd look and see if a N54 coolant bleeding procedure would apply to your vehicle. There is a million DIY's on YT. Doesn't hurt to try.

Quote:
There is no way to see exactly what the temperatures are and I am unaware of any way to make the system tell me what the temps are.
Hmmm, never mind then. I didn't know that the 35i instrument cluster doesn't show the operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
caleayres
Rep

Thank You...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
caleayres
Rep

The BMW dealer contacted me yesterday and said that it sounded like the water pump needed replaced...? (I just replaced the pump/stat 2 yrs ago)(the nearest BMW dealer is 1-1 1/2 hrs away and there isn't a bmw indy near my town) I'm more inclined that the thermostat probably needs replaced. I drove it yesterday after letting it warm up for appx 10-15 minutes, and the heater blew hot heat and the high rpm safety fan did not kick on...? Strange!!!!
Appreciate 0