XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Robkap21
Rep
Drives: BMW

Comfort Access (Passive Go) Module Replacement

Hi,

I have a 2012 X5m with comfort access which I bought used. Comfort access door locking/unlocking was not working when I bought the vehicle. By this I mean that I can start the vehicle without inserting the key into the dash but neither the doors nor the tailgate will lock or unlock without using the remote buttons.

I was also getting a high battery drain warning. I disconnected the driver's door handle (warm to touch) electrical connector for comfort access and this solved the high battery drain but had no effect on the other doors and tailgate not working with comfort access.

I decided to try a replacement used comfort access (passive go) module because I see where this has resolved similar problems for other posters. From everything I have read, the passive go module is supposed to be plug and play and to work without further coding. I have now bought two used passive go modules on ebay (exact same labeling as my original). When I plug in the replacement modules, I get the no key error on the CIC and the vehicle won't go into accessory mode or start. I also tried inserting the key into the dash slot and it also would not go into accessory mode or start the vehicle.

Most of what I have read about replacement of the passive go module is related to the 3-series vehicles. I am not sure if there is something different about my LCI E70 comfort access system though I find that hard to believe.

I am not sure if the passive go module needs some sort of initialization or further programming and I am not sure how to get to that if the car won't even go into accessory mode with the passive go module installed. Also, I might have bought two defective replacement passive go modules but this also seems unlikely.

I appreciate the insight or guidance of anyone who knows more about this than I do.

Thanks,

Robert
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

So since the BMW uses a system to monitor the battery and it's coded, once it start discharging a lot or the battery needs replaced, it will shut down systems in the car to save power. The first to go is usually the comfort access. Change your battery and register it, I'm sure it will work again.

Keep in mind when purchasing a battery, BMW will charge you about $400 for everything. There are 2-3 companies that actually make batteries and they are just rebranded. Find a similar AGM that has the similar specs and it won't need to be coded, just registered. I was able to find a battery fitting the specs and used an online coupon from their website and got it for $130 at advance auto. They'll charge you a core fee as well, so be sure to return your used one to the same place. Take it to a BMW dealer and just ask if a mechanic can register it, they did mine for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Robkap21
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply. I did replace and register my battery before narrowing down the high battery drain to the comfort access and then the driver's door handle.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkap21 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2012 X5m with comfort access which I bought used. Comfort access door locking/unlocking was not working when I bought the vehicle. By this I mean that I can start the vehicle without inserting the key into the dash but neither the doors nor the tailgate will lock or unlock without using the remote buttons.

I was also getting a high battery drain warning. I disconnected the driver's door handle (warm to touch) electrical connector for comfort access and this solved the high battery drain but had no effect on the other doors and tailgate not working with comfort access.

I decided to try a replacement used comfort access (passive go) module because I see where this has resolved similar problems for other posters. From everything I have read, the passive go module is supposed to be plug and play and to work without further coding. I have now bought two used passive go modules on ebay (exact same labeling as my original). When I plug in the replacement modules, I get the no key error on the CIC and the vehicle won't go into accessory mode or start. I also tried inserting the key into the dash slot and it also would not go into accessory mode or start the vehicle.

Most of what I have read about replacement of the passive go module is related to the 3-series vehicles. I am not sure if there is something different about my LCI E70 comfort access system though I find that hard to believe.

I am not sure if the passive go module needs some sort of initialization or further programming and I am not sure how to get to that if the car won't even go into accessory mode with the passive go module installed. Also, I might have bought two defective replacement passive go modules but this also seems unlikely.

I appreciate the insight or guidance of anyone who knows more about this than I do.

Thanks,

Robert
Questions.

1) Did you check the other 3 handles to make sure they are connected? It's possible the previous owner had issues and disconnected the other ones...except maybe the trunk. OR all of them have shorted as well.

2) Did you replace the battery in your key remote? I know it works inside the vehicle but this would be the first time I've heard of the trunk CAS going out. Hella coincidence that all of your access points have shorted. May be weak key remote battery.

3) Does your Bluetooth/gong work? Check fuse #132 in trunk, it controls CAS amongst other things like BT, gong, etc. If your BT and gong work the fuse is probably fine but I'd give it a quick check anyhow.

4) Coded out? Maybe previous owner didn't like the CAS for whatever reason (kept breaking) and had it coded out. Not sure if this is something you can do in Carly since I don't really mess with coding apps but maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Robkap21
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Questions.

1) Did you check the other 3 handles to make sure they are connected? It's possible the previous owner had issues and disconnected the other ones...except maybe the trunk. OR all of them have shorted as well.

2) Did you replace the battery in your key remote? I know it works inside the vehicle but this would be the first time I've heard of the trunk CAS going out. Hella coincidence that all of your access points have shorted. May be weak key remote battery.

3) Does your Bluetooth/gong work? Check fuse #132 in trunk, it controls CAS amongst other things like BT, gong, etc. If your BT and gong work the fuse is probably fine but I'd give it a quick check anyhow.

4) Coded out? Maybe previous owner didn't like the CAS for whatever reason (kept breaking) and had it coded out. Not sure if this is something you can do in Carly since I don't really mess with coding apps but maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck and keep us posted.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the ideas.

1. I have not checked the other door handles to see if they are connected but since the trunk doesn't work I'm guessing it's not the door connections. I will explore that when I get a chance;

2. I did replace the battery in the key remote. It was the first thing I tried;

3. Fuse 132 is good. Bluetooth and gong work as does the keyless start;

4. I checked the coding in the CAS module in NCSExpert and comfort access is active.

I have a feeling the module is shorted out and that there is some step I am missing in replacing it....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
wilsoncustom
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw X5 E70

Did you ever find the problem and where is the keyless go module located and have you checked the 2 antennas
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 01:52 AM   #7
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncustom View Post
Did you ever find the problem and where is the keyless go module located and have you checked the 2 antennas
Checking in on this. Were you able to resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0