XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Alpine White

E70 N62 Broken Rocker Arm Tow Lever

So a little backstory. On driver's side of the engine valve cover gasket was leaking decided to replace it. When I put back together I did not align with the ISTA software the valvetronic motor. Long story short the valvetronic motor snapped (I guess the spring inside) and broke. Got a new valvtetronic motor and was able to properly calibrate it with ISTA. After the old one snapped I got a constant misfire on cylinder 8. After replacing spark plug and ignition coil I left it for a while.
Went to take another look after some time and found this (pictured below) which is likely the cause of the misfire on cylinder 8.
Yup looks like the rocker arm tow lever broke in several spots. Notice one of the ears is off.
Rocker arm itself looks ok and not damaged. Found a couple pieces when I changed out the oil. How can this be repaired? I was thinking of getting the rocker arm tow lever replaced somehow then dropping the oil pan to make sure there are no metal pieces in there.
What do you guys say? Spoke with a BMW mechanic who stated that he had never seen this before and was hesitant to do the repair.

Meanwhile the car has just been sitting in my driveway since I obviously can't drive it.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Alpine White

bump

I got the intermediate lever can these be placed back in without taking apart the top valvetronic part of the engine?
Appreciate 0