XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #23
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
I was planning on it last weekend, but snapped my axle last Thursday. With the car already in shop I just gave it to them. Lava wrapped pipes and all.

O2 spacers we're used to back it out of direct flow- hope it maintains no CEL. If not I'm going to try the mini catted O2 extensions.

I'll mount my new wheels tmw and begin my savings for stage2 tune and DSS upgraded axles.

Still getting a flutter on WOT- wondering if it's the DVs so also exploring DV+ upgrades.

I'm fearing the cold start in the morning. I might have some pissed off neighbors...lol.
With the spacers are you able to see if the emission readiness is working for the cats? For example this is a pic from the Dash Command app when you check the emission system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #24
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
With the spacers are you able to see if the emission readiness is working for the cats? For example this is a pic from the Dash Command app when you check the emission system.
I'll pull my Carly data once I cycle some miles. I've only driven maybe 20 miles so far so I doubt it has cycled yet.

But that was my biggest concern is to keep the readiness of the sensor- since i'm in a readiness state for emissions.

My next step if I failed was to get the catted spacers.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #25
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll pull my Carly data once I cycle some miles. I've only driven maybe 20 miles so far so I doubt it has cycled yet.

But that was my biggest concern is to keep the readiness of the sensor- since i'm in a readiness state for emissions.

My next step if I failed was to get the catted spacers.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/
Finger's cross...hopefully it works. I'm in a readiness state as well and am looking to do downpipes before a tune. or maybe not do a tune at all.

Maybe this could be an option to help with the readiness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #26
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
CEL just popped...boo...

Onto solutions...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #27
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
CEL just popped...boo...

Onto solutions...
Doh... I've read that the extenders don't work on our cars, I hoped you got lucky or something updated. Hope you figure something out. I'd try the ones with the catalyst material in them. What extenders do you have currently? Got a link or pic? I read where some angled ones worked I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #28
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

You can try these one,allegedly they should do the work.

https://www.amazon.com/Catted-oxygen.../dp/B01MQXK4XH
      02-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Yeah these are the ones I have now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ3TVG2..._jByACbRF8NA2X

I'm now having other issues when driving spiritedly- I'm misfiring like a champ and car goes into limp mode.

I assume this is due to more flow and no tune to compensate for the change. I got these misfires before when I put on the Stg1 BMS tune- found the spark plugs were unseating and backing themselves out. Insane!

I put some locktite in them and the misfire errors went away- also replaced with 1 step colder plugs and gapped them to .022

I'll be checking these again today.

Last edited by ncbimma; 02-18-2019 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #30
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
As an update, plugs are good. I found that if I keep blow 5k gear changes, I'm ok on any limp mode.

Thought process is that I need software to manage all these changes to react to the flow.

I'm not entirely sold on the sound of the DP's either. very aggressively high pitched- almost JDM like. Sounds good at wot on the highway but on city roads, it sounds so whiny.

I'm pairing VRSF DPs and Fabspeed exhaust- anyone else not like the sound? I dig more bass in my engine note and not the whirrrr I'm getting now- very exhaust leaky sounding,..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #31
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:

I'm now having other issues when driving spiritedly- I'm misfiring like a champ and car goes into limp mode.

I assume this is due to more flow and no tune to compensate for the change. I got these misfires before when I put on the Stg1 BMS tune- found the spark plugs were unseating and backing themselves out. Insane!

I put some locktite in them and the misfire errors went away- also replaced with 1 step colder plugs and gapped them to .022

Different strokes for different folks.

After the install I noted zero changes whatsoever in drive-ability, only a fraction of a nod at seat of pants acceleration improvement.

Because of this though... I think you might have something else afoot... likely should check all your hoses ASAP after the top of the motor having to be dismantled to install them. Might have jarred the filtered ducts or connector hose in the process and have some hairline cracks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #32
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
As an update, plugs are good. I found that if I keep blow 5k gear changes, I'm ok on any limp mode.

Thought process is that I need software to manage all these changes to react to the flow.

I'm not entirely sold on the sound of the DP's either. very aggressively high pitched- almost JDM like. Sounds good at wot on the highway but on city roads, it sounds so whiny.

I'm pairing VRSF DPs and Fabspeed exhaust- anyone else not like the sound? I dig more bass in my engine note and not the whirrrr I'm getting now- very exhaust leaky sounding,..
I ran mine through a Megan muffler and love the setup at all RPMs; from neighbor crapping themselves cold start to droneless 3k highway runs.

I will say though... I missed the M-button doing something... so I bought some vacuum actuated exhaust dumps to weld in just before the X-pipe and will plumb them in with turndowns right behind the tranny (assuming there's room)

Sound clips will be shared when achievement is unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #33
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
Completely agree. Coming from a Raptor, B8S4, B6A4, E46, E10 and a string of hondas I've seen and heard all tones. Wonder if I add a resonator in the midpipe it'll tone it down a bit ...who knows ..the tone may change as it breaks in too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
fter the install I noted zero changes whatsoever in drive-ability, only a fraction of a nod at seat of pants acceleration improvement.

Because of this though... I think you might have something else afoot... likely should check all your hoses ASAP after the top of the motor having to be dismantled to install them. Might have jarred the filtered ducts or connector hose in the process and have some hairline cracks.
I'll dbl check. Shop that just did my hoses did this work too so they are mostly new part- doubtful that they are brittle at this point.

You never know tho
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #34
9vapors
Major
Rep

Take a listen to my exhaust on page 4 of my thread after I installed the x pipe, you might like the sound... I think it sounds deeper and more V8 like. Might be an option for you.
9's X5M https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1548291
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #35
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Take a listen to my exhaust on page 4 of my thread after I installed the x pipe, you might like the sound... I think it sounds deeper and more V8 like. Might be an option for you.
That sounds good. The x pipe gets rid of the rasp. I might explore this further. Your obnoxious description of what the note currently sounds like is accurate for me. I'm kind of embarrassed driving around town.

I've seen this xpipe mod with the E46 m3 too. Didn't think to x this midpipe!

Thanks for the tip...I should read your entire build since im having a similar build.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #36
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
That sounds good. The x pipe gets rid of the rasp. I might explore this further. Your obnoxious description of what the note currently sounds like is accurate for me. I'm kind of embarrassed driving around town.

I've seen this xpipe mod with the E46 m3 too. Didn't think to x this midpipe!

Thanks for the tip...I should read your entire build since im having a similar build.
Yeah, they do the x-pipe on the M5, not sure why we didn't get it from the factory... most aftermarket full exhaust have them or h-pipes as well... there's a bunch of research about it equalizing pulses etc, but it really does sound better. It did introduce some drone at a certain RPM, but not anything on the highway or driving around town, just while going through the rpms. Overall, I highly recommend it and you can find them on ebay for $30 and have a shop throw it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #37
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The misfiring shouldn't be related to the dp or cat o2 sensor. More than likely this is a separate issue. dp provide better exhaust flow and cat o2 sensors are not used for for the air/fuel mixture.
resetting the adaptation might help smooth things out after the install of the dp.
If this is incorrect, let me know as I want to have a good understanding of this. I'm self tuning my other car and this could be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #38
9vapors
Major
Rep

Yeah, the misfiring I would believe is something else, I think they introduced a vacuum leak that is small but opens up more when you put your foot down. I would check all of the vacuum lines on the canisters, since those are moved around a lot during the dp install. Also check the connecting line for the vent pipe, the notorious ridged one that goes over top of the turbos. With the car running, you can move it around a bit and see if there is a hairline crack or something. I know you said they were recently replaced, but during the dp install, I was leaning all across mine.

On the drivers side, there is a canister on the top right of the engine bay. The vacuum lines connect to the front and back of it and run to a canister on the passenger side. When re-installing then, it pulled on the lines of mine and unplugged it. The vacuum lines clip into the same bridge that the O2 sensor wires clip into. I'd give those lines a tug and see if they pop off.

Lastly, if would force the codes and read what they are... bank 1 lean, etc etc...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #39
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I'll check the vac lines.

I just replaced those too with some freshie silicone ones about a week ago.

I cleared the codes and haven't driven up to the aggression point i did last time but have slapped some gears out around and slightly above the 5K rpm and no misfires have returned..yet.

Current codes:
29F3- fuel pressure sensor electric
2C7C- Lambda probe downstream of cat2 signal
2C7E- Lambda probe on cat
2C7F- Lambda probe downstream of cat2 trimming ctrl
2C6A- Lambda probe on the cat swapped

Most are the downpipe errors. That 29F3 is one I used to get when my spark plugs acted up.

I'm also reaaaaaaally scared on any steering input while gassing it to not snap another axle.

Also, my cold start sounds just like 9Vapors:

Last edited by ncbimma; 02-20-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #40
9vapors
Major
Rep

Have you had that hpfp sensor recall done?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #41
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Only had the car since May '18 and never checked on recalls performed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #42
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll check the vac lines.

I just replaced those too with some freshie silicone ones about a week ago.

I cleared the codes and haven't driven up to the aggression point i did last time but have slapped some gears out around and slightly above the 5K rpm and no misfires have returned..yet.

Current codes:
29F3- fuel pressure sensor electric
2C7C- Lambda probe downstream of cat2 signal
2C7E- Lambda probe on cat
2C7F- Lambda probe downstream of cat2 trimming ctrl
2C6A- Lambda probe on the cat swapped

Most are the downpipe errors. That 29F3 is one I used to get when my spark plugs acted up.

I'm also reaaaaaaally scared on any steering input while gassing it to not snap another axle.
When I got my X5M a couple of years ago it had Fault Code 29F3. The code didn't trigger a CEL but was always there even if the car was running fine. The pics are screenshots when I ran diagnostics on that fault code. I swapped out the sensor and fuel line while replacing the alternator. I may have an extra sensor and fuel line if you need.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #43
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
When I got my X5M a couple of years ago it had Fault Code 29F3. The code didn't trigger a CEL but was always there even if the car was running fine. The pics are screenshots when I ran diagnostics on that fault code. I swapped out the sensor and fuel line while replacing the alternator. I may have an extra sensor and fuel line if you need.
Wow great info. Yeah my code doesn't trigger a CEL either...it just hangs around but drives pretty okayish.
Appreciate 0